A couple of questions - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

A couple of questions

Old 08-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Default A couple of questions

I have a Parkzone ultra-micro P-51D that is at least five years old, if not older. Due to many moves with the military, the plane was kept in its box and not flown for the past three years or so. I recently took it with the intention of flying it this weekend. The battery charged properly and held its charge so far, but when I plugged the battery into the plane it (the plane) made a constant buzzing type sound that wasn't too pleasant and nothing worked - the engine or the servos, but a red light was visible from inside. The sound was constant until the battery was disconnected.

So, is this plane salvageable, or should it be replaced? I found another Parkzone P-51 (a BNF) and also a Corsair (also a BNF) that I wouldn't mind getting if this one is toast. Which leads me to my second question - the transmitter that came with my P-51 has binding instructions written on the back - would this same transmitter work in the new ones I found that require a transmitter?

Thank you for your time and help!
Old 08-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Bald Paul

The instruction manual gives you a lot of information regarding what transmitters work with your plane.
http://www.bindnfly.com/Content/PDF/PKZ3680-Manual.pdf
Is the red light solid or flashing?
Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Thank you for your reply!

I'm not at home to check it - but if I recall correctly it is flashing... I do remember that the noise seemed almost a high-pitched hum.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Thank you for your reply!

I'm not at home to check it - but if I recall correctly it is flashing... I do remember that the noise seemed almost a high-pitched hum.
If it's flashing, you will need to go through the binding procedure.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:25 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Also you are almost certain to need a new battery if it's 5 years old... Even if it charges doesnt prove it's good. But give it a go, the symptom of a bad battery is that the motor will cut when you go to full power, either right away or after a short time of flight.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the replies!

So I went home for lunch and tried it again - there was a little juice left in the battery as it did run for a little. All control surfaces worked as did the motor, but the high-pitched buzz was still there. I can't really describe is as it kind of sounded like a servo at its limits but louder.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:10 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Servos attempting to operate on inadequate voltage often make lots of noise.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the replies!

I got a new battery and it seems back to normal - motor goes to full power, etc. That wine is back to what it normally was but now the rudder servo no longer works. I can fly it like this because I'm not that much a fan of cutting the fuselage in half to change it out - or does anyone have other ideas?
Old 08-12-2016, 10:32 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Ultra micro P-51 fuselage is held together by the "decals" (stickers) Slice the stickers. Re-assemble with scotch tape and then if you have to open it again you just peel the tape.

Caution... if you peel the stickers (or tape that got on the paint) they'll take the paint right off.

The rudder servo is built onto the brick. Might be fixable. It may have just over-ranged and to fix that you wind the servo to centered by hand. If that isn't it, then the servo gear/motor assembly is available as a spare part or you can buy one of the stand alone uM servos and use its parts.
As long as the resistor trace on the PC board isn't worn out you can fix it without buying a RX/ESC/dual servo multifunction board.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:40 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Also take a look where the control rods exit the fuselage. I know on my first Champ they would bind on the slits in the foam and sometimes cause the control surface to freeze up, like it had a bad servo. Easy fix, if so, just take a toothpick and use it to open up the slit a little bit so the rod moves easily.