Parts don't match! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Parts don't match!

Old 08-13-2016, 07:25 PM
abborgogna

Default Parts don't match!

So Maxford finally gets in the 50' Jenny, a plane I have wanted for some time. Wasting no time I order one and I am now in the middle of assembling the model. I get to the part where I am attaching the pull/pull cables to the elevator halves and the rudder and things go wrong. The clevis that threads into the attachment part that the cable is attached to has different threads than the clevis. The jam nuts thread on fine but the attachment part slides right into the clevis. I called Maxford, but being Saturday there was nobody home. I will try again Monday and we shall see what kind of service they offer. I would be interested to hear from anybody else who has the 50' Jenny from Maxford if they had a similar problem.
Andy
Old 08-13-2016, 07:59 PM
Henry Sistrunk

Fifty foot?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:11 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Ugh

I had similar fit problems with the Globe Swift. Just garbage.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:52 PM
Vic Z

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Ugh

I had similar fit problems with the Globe Swift. Just garbage.
That wasn't very encouraging.

Poor customer service, bad parts, or just an all round crappy plane?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:34 PM
abborgogna

Fifty inch wing, there are times when I really feel stupid. Oh well. I know I can come up with a solution to this problem, but I will wait until I talk with Maxford and see what they come up with. Should be interesting!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:07 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Probably one is a 2mm thread and the other is 2/56.

Very close but not compatible.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:24 PM
abborgogna

Wildflyer from the looks of it I think you are exactly right. The clevis looks like a DuBro 2-56 and the cable attachment part (anybody know what it is really called?) looks to be 2.5mm threaded part. I work in a hobby shop and sell this stuff all the time. If push comes to shove I can make some parts that will work, but I am hoping to avoid that.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:47 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

2.5 mm threaded rod would be too tight for going in a 2-56 nut.

2mm threaded rod feels like its trying to catch the 2-56 nut's threads but not quite grabbing. (just enough feel of it catching to allow occasionally thinking it worked)

The really dangerous one is threading 2mm threaded rod into a 2-56 nylon clevice because the nylon clevices tend to be just tight enough that it will pass all ground checks.

Some models have a mix of 2-56 and 2mm clevices... usually with the 2mm intended for rigging and 2-56 for control system, helping people make the error.
Check the other clevices.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:27 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

For all the hassle and wait time if Maxford does send you replacements, I'd just go ahead and pick up the correct clevis' for the threaded pins.
Bummer, it happens though. Some poor kid in China screwed up when pulling the parts/pieces for the kit.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:59 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I really hate models that have the small clevis and when replacements needed impossible to find. I end up having to change the rods as well.

For rigging and pull-pull - I use regular Sullivan Bowden ends and regular clevis. The rigging wire being fishing trace and fixed with ferrule. The wire passes through the holes provided for soldering in the Sullivan ends.

A trick inside fuselage where you do not intend adjustment .... thin control rod, make Z one end and small ring O at other. Cable is fixed to the O and Z to the servo arm. You can if wished pass a straight end through a screwed quick keeper on the servo arm.

Nigel
Old 08-14-2016, 12:00 PM
abborgogna

I like the idea of placing the adjustment inside the plane. I may just go ahead and do that. I have all the parts needed for that.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:53 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

On a positive note, when you do get it set up you will really like it.

I've had two now, first was the yellow one and now a transparent yellow. I liked the solid yellow better but this one I have now was a gift so I am happy with it the way it is.

Fun flying airplane that looks really good in the air.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:22 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by abborgogna View Post
I like the idea of placing the adjustment inside the plane. I may just go ahead and do that. I have all the parts needed for that.
With many of todays models with huge canopies etc. - adjustment inside is not such a pain. But I have traditional models as well where getting at internal is a de-rigging job. So external adjustment is normal for me there. Habits die hard and I find myself doing same for my modern machines.

Nigel
Old 08-15-2016, 07:42 PM
abborgogna

Well this is how it all ended up. I called Maxford and told man what I found and he promised to pull some kits down and verify if any of the other kits have the same problem. As for my plane I simply direct connected the cables to the control horns, they all look good so I am moving on. Thanks all for your help.
Andy
Old 08-22-2016, 07:43 PM
abborgogna

So the never ending saga of the Maxford 50" Jenny continues. It seems the people at Maxford decided to redesign the wing assembly. What they did was to cut the top wing into two separate halves with a small segment that goes between the wing mounting struts and the wings plug and bolt into. The problem is that there is not enough rigidity in the system to keep the wings from sagging. I sent pictures and a written description of the problem to Maxford in an email and I am still waiting for a response. Since it is now very clear to me that nobody at Maxford ever put the Jenny together with the new "Version 2" wing design I have given up on them and am engineering my own changes. What really upset me is the instruction manual is still showing the plane with the Version 1 wing design, but does mention the Version 2 design but zero instructions on how to install them and prevent the sagging. Finally the wire rigging that connects upper and lower wing together and runs through the wing struts. The single run of cable ends at a strut where you are suppose to attach it to the strut using a threaded rod and clevis which of course are mismatched thread sizes. Even if the threads did match the wire is about 2 inches too long so it would never work anyway.

To put it very bluntly this has not been a fun assembly of an ARF. The "Almost" part is almost a joke!
Andy