JOE NALL CANCELLED!!! (Not a joke) - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

JOE NALL CANCELLED!!! (Not a joke)

Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default JOE NALL CANCELLED!!! (Not a joke)

This from Triple Tree just now.

Triple Tree Announcement

UNPRECEDENTED RAIN FORECAST FORCES CANCELLATION OF LAST DAYS OF JOE NALL

After more than three decades of spectacular weather during the world-famous Joe Nall RC event, the forecast for the remainder of the week has forced the board to make the decision to cancel the event and have everyone off the beautiful Triple Tree grounds not later than noon, Tuesday, May 15. This is a very difficult decision and one that was taken only after carefully considering our guest's safety. As many of you are aware, Triple Tree is over four hundred acres of beautifully manicured grass that can easily handle single, short-lived rainstorms, however, rain totals of 4-6 inches are forecast beginning Tuesday afternoon. The rain is not expected to end until sometime after the following Monday. With this amount of water, the camping areas and roads will quickly become impassible. Sudden, heavy rain events could also cause localized flooding in the river area.

As a group, Mr. Pat and the dedicated Triple Tree volunteers work their hearts out to give you, our guests, the very best aviation experience. This cancellation could significantly impact our financial health unless our friends decide to donate their fees from this year's Nall. If you can help us by doing so, please do. Triple Tree is a 501c(3) non-profit so your donation could be tax deductible. Many have already done so, and we greatly appreciate it. As you know, we invest every cent back into Triple Tree. We are always trying to make your experience better and more enjoyable. The new ladies bathhouse and pilot's lounge is just the latest example.

Thanks again for your understanding. It's a tough decision but the safety of our guests will always come first!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:08 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Awful ! So many preparations. All the food. Travel plans from all over the world. Vendor commitments, vacation schedules, hotel bookings, etc. A disaster of nightmarish proportion.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Sure hate to hear this.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:17 AM
Stay Quiet

I was at Joe Nall today with a couple friends who drove down from New Hampshire. Needless to say, there was a great deal of disappointment with the pilots, and quite a few not-so-happy vendors after the announcement.
Triple Tree was offering those who had paid for camping and/or golf carts for the week a free pass to "Nall in the Fall" - which just happens to be on the week normally reserved as e-Week. I guess the big slimers will own the main field, and the electrics will have to contend with the "park flyer" field. I have a feeling it's going to be a mix of fuel and electric everywhere. :-(
We're going to try to get in a few flights tomorrow AM before the rain rolls in at my club field. After that, I think the planes will be grounded, as the forecast is rain pretty much every day, all day, for the rest of the week.
This could very well be the beginning of the end for Joe Nall.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:30 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Here at the event and is SUKs big time. Al I can say is I hope it pours big time and turns to mud.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:29 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I agree that it is a disater. I hate it for those who spent all that money to attend. wow.

I have some friends that flew in from Germany for the event. Can only imagine how much money they laid out for the trip and hotels. Super sad.

I saw ver on "the other site" a link back to the Nall page that said refunds will be made if the event is cancelled but you have to ge there to get it, so if you haven't made it yet I guess you have to still go to get your pilot fees back???

yeesh, what a mess.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:22 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Still in the area. No rain yet. False alarm.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:49 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
still in the area. No rain yet. False alarm.
grrrrrrr!!!!!
Old 05-17-2018, 12:19 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

I bet and hope the Event Organizers have chewed their finger nails off to the bone and bleeding. So far less than a 1/4 inch of rain in a passing cool shower or two.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:26 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I really feel sorry for all the #let down# people ...

What I find strange though ... in all the events I was in especially in UK - we never cancelled unless it was national disaster ! I can remember Sandown ... Sywell .... Fairthorne Manor ... plenty where we sat under tents / marquees waiting for rain to stop ... Maybe its a British Thing to carry on ??

Nigel
Old 05-17-2018, 02:35 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I really feel sorry for all the #let down# people ...

What I find strange though ... in all the events I was in especially in UK - we never cancelled unless it was national disaster ! I can remember Sandown ... Sywell .... Fairthorne Manor ... plenty where we sat under tents / marquees waiting for rain to stop ... Maybe its a British Thing to carry on ??

Nigel
Not really, I've been to SEFF several times and waited out the rains. Had watr from the pond up to the back door of my camper once. We sat inside watching movies and working on planes til it passed... 3 days later...

I used to host my clubs electric flyin in Virginia before moving back to TN. I remember one year in particular where a tropical storm was rolling up the coast and on Friday night before the event started our runway was underwater. It was supposed to clear out he next day so we waited and prayed and had a great event that next day.

Weather forecasting is such a gamble, and to cancel the event on a forecast is an even bigger gamble.

Here are pics from the Flood SEFF that WAS NOT cancelled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
seff flood 3.jpg (37.1 KB, 81 views)
seff flood.jpg (16.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-17-2018, 04:33 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Wow !

I can see the cancellation out of fear if nothing else. Not too many years ago there was Boy Scout camping event in Iowa and a tornado swept in and killed four lads.

At Nall, there are hundreds of campers who would be vulnerable to a severe weather event. So error on the safe side? Tough call.

Should there be some kind of refund for those who prepaid ? Yes.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Stay Quiet

Well, my friends from NH and I spent all morning flying at the club field. Overcast, but zero wind and no rain.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:23 PM
Stay Quiet

Here is the weather over the past week from Spartanburg, 17 miles north of Woodruff and Triple Tree Aerodrome. As you can see, we got a little rain one night. The rest of the days were either cloudy, or started out as cloudy and cleared to nice, sunny days.

I wish I had one of the guys take some video of the Avenger maiden. It looked great in the air!
Attached Images
Capture.JPG (106.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 05-19-2018, 02:54 PM
park
Clear !

I’m not arguing their decision to cancel the event, but when I flew for a living I learned early on not to cancel a flight until hours before (unless it was a hurricane) because you just never know. But with me it just one aircraft not thousands of people so I can understand their decision.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:52 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

It is hard to question when they felt like they were doing it in the best interest and safety of all.

I had a base commander at Eglin AFB once that didn't evacuate the base aircraft when a hurricane was approaching. Thought he would save the AF a bunch of money sheltering them in place. Storm increased in velocity and forward movement and before we knew it, it was too late to do anything.

Needless to say he lost his job, fortunately no one was hurt but there was over $100 million in damage to a lot of aircraft.

I have no doubt they felt like they were doing the right thing. Still, sad for all those who spent all that money on airline tickets, fuel for campers, vacation time, and whatever else they spent money on.