General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Receiver and Servo recommends please…

Old 12-13-2021, 03:48 AM
SoCal Perky
Stik Jockey

Smile Receiver and Servo recommends please…

Hello,
I’ve been out of the hobby for a few years and have a couple questions about current products. I have an assortment of used servo’ s but would like some newer ones to use. Size would be 9g and not looking for the cheapest ones, but reliable ones maybe in the $10-20 range. I know of Hi-Tec but any others you’ve used with good results? Also, my old planes were park fliers and I was using the Lemon and Orange receivers with my Spektrum radio. I saw Spektrum has a 4 channel receiver that has no external antennas. I’m curious if anyone is using these? Thank You in advance for any input…
Old 12-13-2021, 08:23 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Servos ? I usually buy the bag lots from Banggood / AliExpress .... cheap and cheerful ... works out at about $2 - $3 a servo .....

Racerstar are good as example.

Rx's ? No idea as I don't use Spektrum.... I'm a FrSky / Clone user.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:58 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

From my own experience servo are a bit LiPo they are all made in China or Taiwan and likely at relatively few factories that have little to do with the brand they are sold under. Everybody seems to have particular examples that behaved perfectly and others that did not but the reports cover many different brands.
In a nutshell its pot luck and has more to do with duty it is under than anything else. Of course if you pay really high prices the supplier will probably replace them for free but that doesn't save the plane with an inflight failure.

I think you will find the aerial less Rx simply has the short 2.4 aerial(s) built onto the circuit board but it will still have a satellite port for a satellite receiver.
I suspect the onboard aerial is more for physical protection than performance. The applies same applies to the 'fixed' 2.4 Tx aerial.

Orange and Lemon 'Spektrum' receivers work well enough for me.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:10 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

On brand of servo that I dislike - Tower Pro ..... I used to always buy them - based on they could have stripped gears replaced. I now have a box full of replacement gear sets for Tower Pro servos - as well as stripped Tower Pro servos that the gears do not fit. It soon became obvious that Tower Pro servos were NOT all same despite same label / size. I now avoid them unless on special offer .... I regard servos now as disposable items.