Combat Electric combat discussion in here.

WW-I Combat

Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 AM
caskydog
skydog

Default WW-I Combat

Is there a group that flies WW-I combat?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Casky did you ever find any info on WWI combat?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:21 PM
caskydog
skydog

Default WW-11

Yes we do have a group here and I am looking at an Albatross. We are also doing combat indoors with our new Vapors from Parkzone.

Thanks,Bob
Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 AM
Air-on

Thumbs up Any Pictures?

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Casky did you ever find any info on WWI combat?
Bob Caskydog,
I prefer to think Smokejohnson was being humorous, rather than sarcastic in his comment!
I love wwi aircrafts, i even has one tatooed on my chest. But you got me curious.
these early birds are rather unstable to fly. Do you use the proverbial crepe-paper ribbon attached to them (guns would be a sin!!! )
Are your planes scale or do you beef up their wing area to add for the extra weight-drag of the crepe ribbon?
Publish some pictures of your dog fights, they would be nice to see!
Best,
Eron
Old 01-24-2009, 03:44 PM
caskydog
skydog

Default WW-I

Hi Erin:
You could check out all of my videos which include at least four combat videos WW-I and II at -
http://ca.youtube.com/profile?user=c...og&view=videos

Check out my website for photos and I am not sure if they are perfect scale or not but close I think.

Bob
Old 01-24-2009, 04:25 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Hi there Bob, welcome to Wattflyer.

Not sure if you've stumbled upon this yet or not, but if you want to imbed a YouTube video into a post you can do so by bracketing it like so...

[ youtube ] [/youtube]

for the section between the brackets use only the the code after the equal sign, if it was a video through another site, or via a search, leave off the information that follows the "and" (&) symbol. so, in the case of the one I am about to link...

http:// www.youtube. com/watch?v=q_VMeeVic2w&feature=channel_page

you would end up with something like this...

[ youtube ] q_VMeeVic2w [ /youtube ]

I liked the titles of your videos, I look forward to watching them.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

oops, forgot to actually embed it...

you'll be able to see how these things are coded, if you quote their posting.

Great WWI planes. Even if their noisy...

Are they made from coroplast? They look awesome. I would love to see some more details as to how you've put them together.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Air-on

Smile awesome videos!

I watched your videos, and was amazed to see you doing it indoors! How do you ensure that the audience is safe? Or are there only attendees "at your own risk"? Just kidding, the way you guys fly, you know what you are doing...
I was like "watch that ceiling" and "watch that wall" all the time
It must take a lot of concentration "to go back home in one piece"
Really great. Congrats! Peace!

Eron (Erin is a little female, don't you think?)
Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

another example of the abuse of history for the sake of art...

here is a video game, that is claiming the plane they feature, is a DR1...

what are they teaching our youth?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:27 AM
caskydog
skydog

Default Sorry:

Sorry Eron, I realized that mistake as soon as I pressed the submit button, Sometimes I am in such a hurry that I also make many spelling mistakes. Hope that you all can put up with me.

Best wishes, Bob Grant - London, Canada

Originally Posted by Air-on View Post
I watched your videos, and was amazed to see you doing it indoors! How do you ensure that the audience is safe? Or are there only attendees "at your own risk"? Just kidding, the way you guys fly, you know what you are doing...
I was like "watch that ceiling" and "watch that wall" all the time
It must take a lot of concentration "to go back home in one piece"
Really great. Congrats! Peace!

Eron (Erin is a little female, don't you think?)
Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Air-on

Caskydog & Flying Monkey,

You guys rock!
Bob, the "i" and the "o" keys are neighbours on the keyboard, so that is a common mistake. I was just kidding, no offense at all. At 54, I have no issues regarding my manlyhood (or "oldguyhood", hehehe).

Flying Monkey, kudos for the kind way you showed us all how to embed a video. One never forgets neither the lesson nor the teacher when the latter treats our ignorance with respect! thank you!
Eron
Old 01-25-2009, 04:57 PM
caskydog
skydog

Default WW II Fun: Aron:

Hi Aron:
Everytime I go out to film the guys flying their WW I and two .25 size engine combat, I get so excited that I just have to get one so I am planning to buy one from another fellow who has a Albatross and it is beautiful. I have so many activities already that I can't find the time to build so I am hoping to get one ready to gosoon. I am 67 this November.
SKYDOG
Old 01-25-2009, 05:03 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 02-12-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Air-on

Question Coroplast

Dear Flying Monkey,

Your repeated requests (or 'provocations'?)to Bob on whether the planes were made up in "coroplast" made me curious. I googled it and found out that it is 'corrugated plastic sheet", made of polypropylene. This brought to my memory the several "flying boxes" my friends at CASA airmodel club back in Brazil (I moved to Israel recently) use to make every now and then, "just for fun". Fun they are, but they are ugly!
Worst, to my knowledge (until then), there was no glue or adhesive available for polypropylene – and electric insulation tape is no lasting (or elegant, for that matter) solution…
The answer was in the manufacturer's website "Q&A". I wonder what the cost of this Scotch-Weld from 3M is. I think the "technical catch" is the term "to bond poly sheets 'structurally' " (like, a substance that penetrates the corrugated "channels" and then set in/ harden - and this might prove a wild, wild, uninformed guess).
However, if it solves the "glueing" issue, then comes the next challenge: to get rid of the "boxy" appearance of the fuselages… WWI birds are essentially "boxy", but things improve appearance-wise in WWII fighters. Perhaps "heat moulding" (not vaccuum-forming) would work - although the internal corrugation would most certainly be deformed, depriving the plane's fuselage wall of the coroplast inherent rigidity. Anyway, I think this would be enough to provoke dear Bob to drop in his "2 cents". It would be nice to try and develop a good-looking, rounded coroplast fuselage… what do you think?
Have you ever seen good looking coroplast planes anywhere?

Q: Is it possible to bond or glue two pieces of Coroplast® together?
A: Polypropylene is great for many uses due to the fact that it is resistant to chemicals; unfortunately the same properties make it difficult to bond using chemical bonding agents. However, several products have been developed recently by companies such as 3M that are designed to bond polypropylene structurally. Coroplast has not yet tested these products fully. 3M's Scotch-Weld™ Structural Plastic Adhesive DP-8005 is available from Grainger and other distributors for industrial use.(from http://www.coroplast.com/faq.htm )

Last edited by Air-on; 01-25-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: to add the URL of the Q&A - a tip'o'hat to the manufacturer...
Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 02-12-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Air-on

Dear FlyingMonkey,

I assure you - and I hope Bob caught my drift - that I used the word "provocation" in the best sense possible! I merely met you and Bob, but I already see you as buddies, and that is the way I "provoke" my buddies - to see things coming up, to stir creativity.
Maybe I overstepped, as I see that the posts here are most respectful - which is exactly how I expect to be treated, so... my bad!
Gorilla glue, huh? Never heard about that back in old Brazil... perhaps more affordable than this fancy new 3M glue, do you think?
Regarding the fuselages, in your imagination do you think they could be made of coroplast without looking "boxy"? or am I dreaming?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 AM
wildcat

awsome
Old 06-10-2009, 04:39 AM
caskydog
skydog

OK guys, I don't know a whole lot about building with coroplast but my friend of forty years does use it and knows best how to handle it so I am pasting Ted's e-mail in this reply.
Ted & Marlene Banks
[email protected]

Best wishes, Bob Grant
Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 PM
scottn3n
montanamodelworks.com

There are some WWI electric foam combat planes here. They fly slower than the WWII ones because more drag, but they're maneuverable, rugged & cheap.

http://www.montanamodelworks.com/index_040.htm