Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Getting out of RC flying before I even start

Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Flyer_One
Rookie RC Flyer

Default Getting out of RC flying before I even start

It's been a while since I have posted here.

I had received a RC plane for my birthday last year.

At first, I was really excited and wanted to go fly it, but since then my interest in flying the plane has dwindled.

The plane is made by DynamRC (Chinese based manufacturer) and parts for it are hard to come by and if I do happen to come across them, the store wants too much for shipping (From what I have seen). I am afraid that if I crash it, I will be spending a lot more money than I want to on parts.

I have since purchased an RC boat, which I am enjoying tremendously (Until it gets stuck in the middle of the pond due to a mechanical failure of some kind and I have to wait for the current to bring it in ).
Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Why not find a local Club with an Instructor who will vet your airplane for airworthiness, take it up and proof it, then teach you how to fly it 3 mistakes high?

Once that is done, if the bug hasn't bitten you hard, then sell it on Craigslist.

...The Bum
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Flyer_One
Rookie RC Flyer

Originally Posted by Saddlebum View Post
Why not find a local Club with an Instructor who will vet your airplane for airworthiness, take it up and proof it, then teach you how to fly it 3 mistakes high?

Once that is done, if the bug hasn't bitten you hard, then sell it on Craigslist.

...The Bum
I really lost my interest in RC planes.

I tried taking a step back and looking at things objectively. I cannot justify, in my mind, why I would try to get back into RC planes again. This is compounded by the fact that I bought an RC boat (As mentioned in my first post) and I am enjoying the RC boat a lot.

The other factor I looked at was my financial situation. My current financial situation does not permit me to have both a boat and a plane. So I decided to go with the boat...parts are readily available for it and at a reasonable cost.

At this point, I don't think anyone would want to buy my plane, so I might just pull my Spektrum AR500 Reciver and keep it, just in case I do decide to give RC flying a go in the future.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

I live in Houston, I might just be interested in your plane if you are selling. What Dynam RC plane is it?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

OK. If you end up selling the AR500 seperately, I'm interested.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Flyer_One
Rookie RC Flyer

Originally Posted by Cdr. Instigator View Post
I live in Houston, I might just be interested in your plane if you are selling. What Dynam RC plane is it?
It's the Cessna...here is the URL to it.

http://dynam-rc.com/products/airplane/cessna.htm

PM sent with a price.

Originally Posted by Saddlebum View Post
OK. If you end up selling the AR500 seperately, I'm interested.
Alright, you will get first crack at the AR500 if the deal falls through or if cdr instigator does not want the AR500.
Will keep you updated.

Last edited by Flyer_One; 01-27-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

I got your PM and I'm not interested on the RX..just the model. I will give you a shout/e-mail/PM later on this afternoon when I get off of work.. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:02 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by Flyer_One View Post
I really lost my interest in RC planes.

I tried taking a step back and looking at things objectively. I cannot justify, in my mind, why I would try to get back into RC planes again. This is compounded by the fact that I bought an RC boat (As mentioned in my first post) and I am enjoying the RC boat a lot.

The other factor I looked at was my financial situation. My current financial situation does not permit me to have both a boat and a plane. So I decided to go with the boat...parts are readily available for it and at a reasonable cost.

At this point, I don't think anyone would want to buy my plane, so I might just pull my Spektrum AR500 Reciver and keep it, just in case I do decide to give RC flying a go in the future.
Well if the plane fails at least you don't have to wait for the current to bring it back to "shore"...
Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

It's been a while since I have posted here.

I had received a RC plane for my birthday last year.

At first, I was really excited and wanted to go fly it, but since then my interest in flying the plane has dwindled.

The plane is made by DynamRC (Chinese based manufacturer) and parts for it are hard to come by and if I do happen to come across them, the store wants too much for shipping (From what I have seen). I am afraid that if I crash it, I will be spending a lot more money than I want to on parts.

I have since purchased an RC boat, which I am enjoying tremendously (Until it gets stuck in the middle of the pond due to a mechanical failure of some kind and I have to wait for the current to bring it in ).
Thats best that you Got out of RC Planes before you got Totally Addicted There are not many people that can do that Yes flying is something that you Really Want and Have to do, if the Desire is not Totally there, then you made the right Choice, Flying RC Airplanes is very very difficult, it harder than flying a full size Airplane, only a Hand full of people that try RC Aircraft Succeed, Its not easy, But Rc Cars and Boats are the next best Thing in RC Take care and Have Fun, Chellie
Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Flyer_One
Rookie RC Flyer

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Well if the plane fails at least you don't have to wait for the current to bring it back to "shore"...
True, but then you have to spend money to get a plane back together again, assuming there is damage or no salvageable parts.

Had my boat fail 3 days ago at the pond due to me not putting loctite on the set screw which goes from the collar from the driveshaft to the motor. Vibration knocked the motor out of the driveshaft, which in turn caused the propeller to loose power...so I had to wait ever so patiently for the current to bring it in...more so since there was a light breeze blowing

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Thats best that you Got out of RC Planes before you got Totally Addicted There are not many people that can do that Yes flying is something that you Really Want and Have to do, if the Desire is not Totally there, then you made the right Choice, Flying RC Airplanes is very very difficult, it harder than flying a full size Airplane, only a Hand full of people that try RC Aircraft Succeed, Its not easy, But Rc Cars and Boats are the next best Thing in RC Take care and Have Fun, Chellie
Thanks for your kind words Chellie

Maybe one day, when the desire returns, I will give RC flying a try...but for now, I am addicted to RC boats

I am still learning about the nuances of handling my RC boat.

My boat has a catamaran hull (twin hull) and from what I have seen, they do not like to turn sharply & if you do, the boat may flip. Just have to remember, like in RC flying, to make smooth control inputs and not make any sudden control movements.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:27 PM
offtom
Megans Servant

I remember as a kid going to a small local lake and watching guys and their boats. They were all gas. When their boats would stop out in the middle they'd get a fishing pole with a bobber on the end and cast out across the boats to pull them in.

Might beat sitting around waiting for a breeze, unless of course you have a good book, some shade, and time.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 AM
Flyer_One
Rookie RC Flyer

Originally Posted by offtom View Post
I remember as a kid going to a small local lake and watching guys and their boats. They were all gas. When their boats would stop out in the middle they'd get a fishing pole with a bobber on the end and cast out across the boats to pull them in.

Might beat sitting around waiting for a breeze, unless of course you have a good book, some shade, and time.
One step ahead of you...Going to buy one.

The only problem with that is, I have to learn how to cast
Old 01-29-2011, 05:03 AM
radialarm
Crash Test Clown!!!

I was into nitro boats for a while. I got tired of hikeing around the lake through swamp and jungle to retrieve my boat everytime. That and the cost soon put me off that. If I crash my plane the hike is a lot less. A little glue, maybe a prop and I'm good to go.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 AM
SkiCrazy
FlyGuys

Smile

For me, money has never been an issue......

...... its the lack of it that keeps causing me problems!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:30 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Learning to cast is just another opportunity. The more skills you acquire, the better your life will go.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Hi
Get a recovery SAR vehicle, it makes life easier on the rc boater
I love Rc Boats BTW
Heres a few of mine including my recovery vehicle
http://www.rchangout.com/forums/album.php?albumid=26
Take care
Hank
Old 01-29-2011, 12:50 PM
offtom
Megans Servant

Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Learning to cast is just another opportunity. The more skills you acquire, the better your life will go.

Very good point. Matter of fact after you learn how to cast, and you're waiting for batteries to re-charge, you can slap a hook and worm on you're fishing line and partake of another pleasant hobby.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Flyer_One
Rookie RC Flyer

Very good point. Matter of fact after you learn how to cast, and you're waiting for batteries to re-charge, you can slap a hook and worm on you're fishing line and partake of another pleasant hobby.
True that...

In an ironic twist of fate, I don't like to fish because I am too impatient, yet I am patient enough to wait for my boat to come to shore?

Something ain't right here...
Old 01-30-2011, 01:54 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

True that...

In an ironic twist of fate, I don't like to fish because I am too impatient, yet I am patient enough to wait for my boat to come to shore?

Something ain't right here...

Okay....

Can't sit still to fish while yer waiting for the batteries to charge.

Hmmmm

Nervous energy eh......You could take up jogging. Run around the lake a few times then your batteries will be charged and ready for you to run them dry in your boat. You can perfect your casting skills by casting a bobber across the bow to get yer boat back. Then while you charge your packs again you can jog around the lake a couple more times to burn off more nervous energy.

Sounds like a whole lot of work.

You sure you want to give up planes
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Okay....

Can't sit still to fish while yer waiting for the batteries to charge.

Hmmmm

Nervous energy eh......You could take up jogging. Run around the lake a few times then your batteries will be charged and ready for you to run them dry in your boat. You can perfect your casting skills by casting a bobber across the bow to get yer boat back. Then while you charge your packs again you can jog around the lake a couple more times to burn off more nervous energy.

Sounds like a whole lot of work.

You sure you want to give up planes
Hahahha.. Hahahahahhahaa.................

Old 02-01-2011, 12:55 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
Get a recovery SAR vehicle, it makes life easier on the rc boater
I love Rc Boats BTW
Heres a few of mine including my recovery vehicle
http://www.rchangout.com/forums/album.php?albumid=26
Take care
Hank
Or better yet get a sailing vessel. the wind never dies "suddenly".