RCU RSS Feed RC Unviverse General Electric Discussion forum rss feed

SAPAC Wilga-2000

Old 04-16-2007, 03:57 PM
fandar

Default SAPAC Wilga-2000

Hi, what do you think about SAPAC Wilga-2000? I am planing to buy it on ebay and i am beginner. Do you think, that it is good plane for beginner? Thank You
Old 04-21-2007, 03:24 PM
WaldoXerxes

I don't have any experience with that plane, but I think you might get more response posting in the beginners forum - this one just had rss feeds from rcuniverse.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:18 PM
offroadn_redneck

DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM SAPAC!!!

Their products are crappy! I bought the SAPAC Extra 330L and Ive only flown it once and already had to buy a new reciver, ESC, elevator, and like 10 props.

You will spend more money on that plane than its worth. You're better off getting a good ARF plane and putting reliable parts in it. You will spend about the same as you would on this plane plus repairs.

But thats just my opinion....
Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

I think this Wilga stands a good chance of being a decent flyer simply because its a trainer design. Still, I always reccomend going the decent equipment and cheap plane route, like buying a $45 GWS Beaver with the float set. You WILL use the quality transmitter and receiver again. The cost is lower than ever now too. You could probably get a decent used 4ch 72Mhz tranmitter for 50 bucks or even much less. A high grade Berg 4ch sub-micro receiver is 30 bucks with crystal. Good sub-micro servos have gone for as little as 6 bucks. Lipos are 1/2 the cost and 2 times as good as they were when they came out. The prices are better than ever now! No excuse to need to buy an All-In-One package anymore.

If you do buy an all-in-one package, then get a proven one, simply to avoid any surprises. Planes like the FlyZone Super Cub or the ParkZone Cub setup have been know to do well, right out of the box. If you really like the Wilga, it would be much better to buy it AFTER getting a reccomendation from a reliable source.

I am still staring at a $200 piece of 27Mhz junk in my basement, that was my first rc purchase some years ago. Don't let this be you.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:52 PM
jjl1

Default Wilga 2000

I have a Wilga 2000 and in calm winds I would say this airplane flies better than any trainer I have flown to date. I have still managed to to crash this plane in a wind gust. One of the things I really like about the Wilga is I have been able to find spare parts and it is very easy to repair.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:35 AM
zestril5

Where have you found spare parts for this plane. I have had some difficulty.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:10 PM
jjl1

Default Wilga 2000

I found this place on ebay. Service has been very good.

http://stores.ebay.com/RC-SPECIALTIES-USA
Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Gwest

The Wilga is really easy to fly and should be OK for a beginner. I and several club members fly them. Watch out for the poor quality electronics though. We have had lots of problems with glitching. Replacing the reciever with JR and using JR transmitter did not help much. I replaced ESC and added a ferrite ring to its lead - no difference. I suspect the servo's inject a lot of noise. After a bad crash I gave up. May repair and replace the servo's at the same time.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Knocky

I have been looking at getting one of these.

Is there another all-inclusive package or seperate items that will give me a beginner plane that can land on the ground as well as water for similar pricing? This plane got my attention simply because it actually LOOKS like a plane and not a Dollar Tree foam glider.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 PM
hockeymaster

You can buy this Plane also whitout electrics as i made it!
I use a small Brushless engine with an 20 Amps Controler, 3 5 gramm Servos from Hitec and a Berg 4 Channel Reciver. Its a little bit more expensif but so it flies really great.
A Friend of mine also has the RTF Version and 1 Servo crashes before First Flight. I Fly since 3 Years now and this Plane is my relaxing one just for easy Flying in Wintertime. I would say its an easy Plane for beginners.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Cbman

I bought this as my first "real" RC plane. It quickly proved to be too much for a complete beginner. I then bought a Slow Stick and flew it almost daily for about a month. Then I went back to my Wilga and really enjoyed flying it. It was capable of slow, stable flight and with the brushless motor would really cruise. I could even throw in a couple of loops, rolls and fly inverted. It sadly met it's demise coming in on final approach due to a locked aileron servo. It's easy to fly once you become comfortable with flying RC. My advice is to get a cheap Slow Stick as a learning tool before jumping to anything with ailerons. Just my opinion from personal experience. (See my Wilga Aviatar)

Chuck
Old 04-12-2008, 04:22 AM
lukehoyland

Default luke

i have just bought a wilga 2000, and i am hearing bad reports on it, saying that there are alot of faults, is this true, i have bought a new battery and battery charger for it, to give it a longer flight time, as someone told me to do that let me know what you think of the plane
Old 04-13-2008, 02:52 AM
xairflyer

Bought one recently and it is a great flyer, motor is crap though went up in smoke on third flight, changed mine to a brushless.

Hope to try it of the water in a couple of weeks at the splash In.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:54 PM
lukehoyland

Default luke

OK will try that, thanks for your help buddy luke
Old 07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
BRPRocks

Default Help on parts getting to Canada

I've just had my first few flights with my wilga 2000. Getting a little cocky I made an error of course and crashed it hard. Fixed it up but I can't glue the motor mount enough to hold.

My problem is that I'm in Canada and I can't order from RC Specialties because they don't deliver outside of the U.S.A.. Unless someone knows otherwise, I've looked in several areas and even emailed bannanahobby where I baught it but no response. Even if there is another way to get a stronger mount for this plane would be beneficial since I can see it happening again even on a lighter crash.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get on getting some parts,

Cheers,
Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
jjl1

BRPRocks,

I asume you are using the brushless motor as the brushed motor mount is almost unbreakable.

It seems that parts are getting scarce for the Wilga. I think SAPAC is trying to upgrade their distribution channels and leaving their users behind. I made a stick mount for my Wilga. I just cut a piece of 1/8 plywood into roughly the size of the original mount. Then cut a square hole in the ply that I could glue a 10 mm square stick into. Then mounted the motor using a stick mount I had laying around. I think it is a GWS piece.

Even harder to get now is the head cover (cowling). I found that the Hobby Zone Cub head cover fits with only minor triming. I got mine at Hobby Town. I think it even looks better than the original.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 PM
KentuckyRanger

The Sapac Wilga 200 is a great (Cheap) starter.
It's the one I just got in order to get my Feet wet in the RC Plane World.

If I had it to do over though and if you have the extra Money, get the Wilga 2000 made by Graupner, available here:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wilga.htm
It's allot more expensive but comes with allot nicer Gear that you can use on other projects when the Wilga takes its final approach into the Driveway, LOL!

The best Route to go is get the Plane ARF and like everyone says, chose the cool Gear that you like.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 PM
KentuckyRanger

Originally Posted by BRPRocks View Post
I've just had my first few flights with my wilga 2000. Getting a little cocky I made an error of course and crashed it hard. Fixed it up but I can't glue the motor mount enough to hold.

My problem is that I'm in Canada and I can't order from RC Specialties because they don't deliver outside of the U.S.A.. Unless someone knows otherwise, I've looked in several areas and even emailed bannanahobby where I baught it but no response. Even if there is another way to get a stronger mount for this plane would be beneficial since I can see it happening again even on a lighter crash.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get on getting some parts,

Cheers,
Check out the Thread I started:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37413

The Motor mount on this thing is so flimsy and cheap it's a wonder it holds the Motor during normal flight...
Another BIG problem is that the Mount almost completely restricts Air flow through the motor and causes over heating and premature Motor failure.

As for Bananahobby.com, (where I got mine too) They are S,L,O,W... And forget Customer service.
Like the old saying goes, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."
I won't be doing business with them in the future.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 PM
KentuckyRanger

Originally Posted by jjl1 View Post
BRPRocks,

I asume you are using the brushless motor as the brushed motor mount is almost unbreakable.

It seems that parts are getting scarce for the Wilga. I think SAPAC is trying to upgrade their distribution channels and leaving their users behind. I made a stick mount for my Wilga. I just cut a piece of 1/8 plywood into roughly the size of the original mount. Then cut a square hole in the ply that I could glue a 10 mm square stick into. Then mounted the motor using a stick mount I had laying around. I think it is a GWS piece.

Even harder to get now is the head cover (cowling). I found that the Hobby Zone Cub head cover fits with only minor triming. I got mine at Hobby Town. I think it even looks better than the original.
You've answered my prayers!
I was going to try this out by my local hobby shop doesn't stock cowlings much (stupid move on their part).
Could you please tell us which one it is because there are a couple offered.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:35 PM
jjl1

I am pretty sure this is the one I used.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7126

There are probably others that will work. I liked this one because it is white so it matches the plane.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:48 AM
KentuckyRanger

Thanks for the Heads up JJ.
I already ordered another Cowl, have to wait to see if it works.
I also just ordered the one you have here, LOL!

One thing I've noticed about this Model, if you look real close at the way the Fuselage is made at the front it's actually a Model of a Wilga 35 with the modern looking Cowl added.
If you look at the way a real Wilga 2000 is made the Fuselage narrows into the Nose, the Wilga 35 stays wide and makes the Cowling fatter than it should be for a 2000.
The Sapac Model doesn't narrow which got me to thinking, I wonder if a Radial Engine Cowl will fit this Model...

God I wish Hobbytown USA in Lexington had more Parts for RC Planes...
I'll have to wait until I get some Money and order some Radial Engine Cowling's and see what they look like.
I think a Wilga 35 would look allot more classy anyway.

I'll keep everyone posted on my venture...
Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 PM
jjl1

Default Wilga parts

Here are some pics of my solution to the wilga parts shortage. The head cover is a Horizon Hobby Cub spare part that fits with no mods.

I have used a HiMax in runner motor and the more sturdy brushed motor mount for the Wilga. I am using a 9x6 prop.

I have also made a stick mount to replace the stock brushless mount and it uses the standard brushles motor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brushed_mount_inrunner.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	75714   Click image for larger version

Name:	brushless_stick_mount.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	75715   Click image for larger version

Name:	cub_head_cover.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	83.3 KB