Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! - Page 168 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 PM
bbqflyer

welcome Alaskan! I would say you are like the rest of us and have caught this bug to which there is no known cure. Sounds like you have a short outdoor flying season up there. But with snow skids readily available now, I think it would extend it for you. Hopefully there is a big indoor gym for you to continue in during the cold months though.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:45 AM
makrothumia

Hi Everyone!! I am excited to be a part of this immensely insightful website. So many pro's offering helpful advice. Great Stuff!! As for me, I have just over 2 years of experience in building/flying electric powered helis (450 T-Rex) and planes. Putting together a new project for this winter. Looking at several Pitts biplane models that I intend to convert to electric. Leaning towards a .60 size model, and actually like the Hobbyking Pitts S12 Python, 1370mm ARF. I did read, however, wings tend to arrive damaged as observed by previous builders due to poor packaging, and that could sway my decision. I did build a 40" Pitts from r2hobbies and was rather disappointed by inaccurately drilled holes, measurements, etc. and do not want to run into these problems again. From what everyone else has said about this one though, it looks like a great bird after all! Will keep you all posted once I get started and surely will have questions. If anyone has suggestions for other Pitts Models that would also be appreciated. Shooting for a 5S-6S power setup! Thanks again!

Last edited by makrothumia; 10-25-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by makrothumia View Post
Hi Everyone!! I am excited to be a part of this immensely insightful website. So many pro's offering helpful advice. Great Stuff!! As for me, I have just over 2 years of experience in building/flying electric powered helis (450 T-Rex) and planes. Putting together a new project for this winter. Looking at several Pitts biplane models that I intend to convert to electric. Leaning towards a .60 size model, and actually like the Hobbyking Pitts S12 Python, 1370mm ARF. I did read, however, wings tend to arrive damaged as observed by previous builders due to poor packaging, and that could sway my decision. I did build a 40" Pitts from r2hobbies and was rather disappointed by inaccurately drilled holes, measurements, etc. and do not want to run into these problems again. From what everyone else has said about this one though, it looks like a great bird after all! Will keep you all posted once I get started and surely will have questions. If anyone has suggestions for other Pitts Models that would also be appreciated. Shooting for a 5S-6S power setup! Thanks again!
Hi and Welcome to Wattflyers, Lots of super nice and smart folks here where about in so calif are you, i am in Hesperia in the high desert, sounds like you have some good experience with RC Aircraft, I had a great Planes ultimate 40 size Bi Plane that I built from a kit, with a K&B 60 size eng.I Love that plane, but my brand new Radio took it out No More Airtronic computer radios for me, I like Jr Radios on 72 MHZ with a Berg Receiver, thats has been a very solid combination for me, 2.4 is nice, but to expensive for my blood with full range receivers, I have been into Rc and Control line planes for over 40 years, Blame my father for getting me started in this Hobby Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 10-25-2011, 01:30 PM
SerjuRO

Default new member

Hi all,

I am flying now for almost 3 years, mostly depron home made planes.
I own also a 1,45m wingspan Yak54 (6,5cc Supertigre), a Kunlun 2m glider and a Sebart S30e, the pride of my ,,fleet".
Old 10-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Cheers-Drive

Hi All
Nice to find a site with so much information on.
I am just getting in to electric flight after a long layoff from glow.
Cheers from the UK.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:12 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Welcome. I predict you'll love electric.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Howdy cheers, marko, and serju!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Cheers-Drive

Hi Iím
Looking for a nice easy to build and fly delta type plan for a small electric motor and 2cell lipos??
If any one can help
Thanks Keith
Old 10-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Cheers-Drive View Post
Hi Iím
Looking for a nice easy to build and fly delta type plan for a small electric motor and 2cell lipos??
If any one can help
Thanks Keith
Here is one I enjoy building I am new to the hobby and have not had success with flying it thats because of my skills not the plane. It is called the EZ Dart and here is the link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468257

this is the link to my build thread as well. I have experimented many times with it and it is fun and easy to build I have learned tremondouse amount about building doing it

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63114

Good luck and welcome to wattflyer
Old 10-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Tsavah
Watt Waster

Default Finding a Delta

Hi I’m Looking for a nice easy to build and fly delta type plan for a small electric motor and 2cell lipos?? If any one can help Thanks Keith
There are a lot of Delta plans and projects to copy. Your first decision is the size of the wing span. That will very likely be based on your motor size and desired propeller. Since I spend most of my time in RCGroups, I haven't searched for a Delta here. I am currently making a 30" Delta out of Readi-Board (RB), after the paper skins are removed. The foam core is a bit soft and easy to mare/mark/damage, but the price is hard to beat at $1 plus tax for a 20"x30" foam board. I also use fan fold foam (FFF), which is a insulation foam board designed to be put under flooring. I buy it at the home improvement warehouse stores. It is a bit more pricey at near $40 per 4'x50' sheet, folded into a bunch of 2'x4' sections. Both are very popular construction foams. The RB comes from the Dollar Tree stores and the paper skins remove themselves if they get wet, so it is wise to get that done first. Other foam core poster boards have paper skins that can be troublesome to remove and tend to be more expensive.

I spray them down with water enough to see the paper darked and let them dry out again over night. I save the paper for all sorts of recycle uses, to include drawing cut-out plans. Sometimes I draw the cut-out plans first, do the cutting and then remove the paper before starting construction. Since one sheet is 30" wide, you can imagine why my delta has the wing span. This way the flyer only needs two sheets and a few parts (spars) from thicker insulation foam board. I also use a few thin strips of balsa I cut from thin sheet/board. Not much to the build, but the lightweight of the wing and parts make it possible to use the cheaper motors and LiPo battery packs. Since the RB is also 20" and I am up to using four sheets for a 40" Delta wing, I suspect that will be my next project. I may have to use a $20 motor on that one, lol.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Cheers-Drive

thank for that Fishbonez and Tsavah the only problem that i have ius finding the materials in th uk
Old 10-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Tsavah
Watt Waster

Default Finding Foam Boards

... Tsavah the only problem that i have ius finding the materials in th uk
I wish I could remember what the UK folks were finding, where, and what it is called. Many of the UK folks did say Depron was easier to find and they had easy access to it, once they knew where and the brand name. Some did say they had access to home improvement warehouse stores and were using many of the insulation foam boards sold, but they were trying to avoid the popcorn style styrofoam sheets since they tend to damage easy and won't take cutting or forming well. The foam you want is more like true foam, where tiny bubbles of plastic make up the matrix. You may also have the same problem I do - no Local Hobby Shop (LHS).
Old 10-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Cheers-Drive

I live i a city with 5 million people and only 1 Model shop, that cater for all, but not much electric or light weight materials. I will have to have to look in Tesco skips to see what they are bunging out. (tesco is a big store that sales everthing.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:18 PM
SARG5
SARG5

SARG5 [FROM KANSAS HERE]
If we have anyone from KANSAS here on this thread. Go over and check out
KANSAS CLUBS. Thread
Trying to get como. going with KANSAS FOLKS.
SARG5
Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 PM
paullie

Default Howdy

I'm Paul from Western New York. I enjoy building with balsa and have been in the hobby for just a couple of years. I am an active RCG member and have found many helpful hints here and decided I should join the fun!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:11 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Welcome, Paul!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:17 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome Paul!!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:28 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

WELCOME!!! Enjoy your time with all the great WF members!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Paul Lots of Great people here, I am the Only RENEGADE that you have to watch out for LOL, Take care and Have fun, Chellie
Old 11-06-2011, 12:45 AM
bill morris
bro bill morris

marc: just wanted to tell you this forum is great.i'm from old school and computers are new to me.also to rc models.when i started it was u control,buy a fox .049 for 2.95 and mccoy 35 for 5.95.things have sure changed.i have been reading up on flight metals b-47 project and he suggested i do my a-3 project so others can follow.problem is i really don't know how to start.i need help.thanks and GOD BLESS ALL AND HAVE PATIENCE WITH A NEWBEE. BRO BILL MORRIS
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 PM
matchbook69
matchbook69

Default Just starting to build with xps

Just joined today but with a little effort i'll get airborne soon.

Working my first craft .. a modified glider. I'll be reading a lot of stuff in here to learn what right steps to take.
Georgetown tx
Old 11-10-2011, 10:09 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Welcome to Wattflyer. Gliders are my thing, so let me know if I can be of help.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Tsavah
Watt Waster

Default Modified and ...

Originally Posted by matchbook69 View Post
Just joined today but with a little effort i'll get airborne soon. Working my first craft .. a modified glider. I'll be reading a lot of stuff in here to learn what right steps to take.
Georgetown tx
Found a thread where someone has done the same thing, or looking for ideas? It is often best to find a project like the one in hand and copy or compare notes. The first one is always the big adventure you remember the longest. After that the memories are a comparision to the first one. Good luck and tell us how it goes.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:32 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 AM
kdelca7470

me too, electric only.. great forum BTW

Quick Reply: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11673 seconds with 11 queries