Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight) - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Old 12-31-2005, 02:11 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Originally Posted by crast test dummie View Post
Dude, I love Sgt. Hulka!! Thats so cool! Those spectrum radios are cool for indoor flying. However I don't know how much range you can get with them. Keep her in close. My buddy was going to pick one up today, he flys at the dome every weekend.

CTD
I have talked to a couple regulars at my LHS who have spectrum radios, these guys are both better pilots than I will likely ever be and their opinion carrys a lot of weight with me, and both rave about the spectrum, they both say your plane can be a speck in the sky and it is still solidly in your control, I'm still a relative newb so I rarely let my planes get beyond a quarter mile, did you set your Mini up with flaps?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:27 AM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

I can say with some confidence that if you fly the stick 500 feet away you will probably wish you hadn't. It is small and it will get smaller very rapidly. Flying the DX6 with this should never be a problem when it comes to distance. If it did become a problem you would have lost it with a 72 MHZ too.

That is being realistic. Bring it back down to earth and hopefully a smooth landing and closer to your feet so you won't have to walk far. Happy flying.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:49 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Originally Posted by debhicks View Post
I can say with some confidence that if you fly the stick 500 feet away you will probably wish you hadn't. It is small and it will get smaller very rapidly. Flying the DX6 with this should never be a problem when it comes to distance. If it did become a problem you would have lost it with a 72 MHZ too.

That is being realistic. Bring it back down to earth and hopefully a smooth landing and closer to your feet so you won't have to walk far. Happy flying.
Thanks for the advice Deb
Old 12-31-2005, 04:48 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
I have talked to a couple regulars at my LHS who have spectrum radios, these guys are both better pilots than I will likely ever be and their opinion carrys a lot of weight with me, and both rave about the spectrum, they both say your plane can be a speck in the sky and it is still solidly in your control, I'm still a relative newb so I rarely let my planes get beyond a quarter mile, did you set your Mini up with flaps?
I didn't set up flaps, I don't have a 7 CH receiver or a BEC and receiver battery. You'll need all that xtra stuff to run flaps. I may do them in the spring. X-Mas tapped me out.

I just got off the phone with my buddy, he said the range on those radios is 1/4 mile. They were designed for dome flying. The system came out some time ago for RC Cars. I was just a matter of time until they put it in planes.

CTD
Old 12-31-2005, 05:00 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
I didn't set up flaps, I don't have a 7 CH receiver or a BEC and receiver battery. You'll need all that xtra stuff to run flaps. I may do them in the spring. X-Mas tapped me out.

CTD
Just a heads up. You wont need a BEC and a RX battery, just one or the other.

After reading this thread and the other one like it over on the "other" site, Im really thinking about getting one of these. Id really like to have the 40 or better yet the 60 size Ultra Stick, but I do already have almost every thing sitting here right now for the MUS.

I have:
Axi 2808/24
Phx 35
Berg 5 RX
3 HS-55 servos
Would just need to pick up three more servos, a Park BEC, and a Berg channel expander and I would be set. HUMMMMMMM :o
Old 12-31-2005, 02:28 PM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Originally Posted by Rugar View Post

After reading this thread and the other one like it over on the "other" site, Im really thinking about getting one of these. Id really like to have the 40 or better yet the 60 size Ultra Stick, but I do already have almost every thing sitting here right now for the MUS.

I have:
Axi 2808/24
Phx 35
Berg 5 RX
3 HS-55 servos
Would just need to pick up three more servos, a Park BEC, and a Berg channel expander and I would be set. HUMMMMMMM :o
Go for it, you deserve a Christmas present from yourself.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Twmaster

I am going to begin assembling mine this weekend. For now I intend to use two servos on the ailerons/flaps and mix them with my computer radio as flaperons thus avoiding having to get a ParkBEC just yet. This way I can still make the mods to put separate flaps in later.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:03 PM
crast test dummie
Batteries not included!!!

Default You will like this little plane!!!

Originally Posted by Rugar View Post

I have:
Axi 2808/24
Phx 35
Berg 5 RX
3 HS-55 servos
Hey Rugar,

Thanks for the info I thought I'd have to run BEC and receiver battery. I really havn't read up on BEC's yet. I have a feeling I'm going to read about them very soon. Looks like you have all the stuff to put one together. Tomorrow the weather should be good, I'm going to try to get someone to shoot some video for me. If I can get some video I'll post it and provide a link.

CTD
Old 12-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Twmaster

If I were to go with a 6 servo setup what would be a good light BEC to use?
Old 12-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
If I were to go with a 6 servo setup what would be a good light BEC to use?
You could use one of these:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ubec.htm
But they are more expensive and cost more then this one:
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm
The Park BEC is low cost, low weight, and you don't have to cut the red wire on your ESC to disable your on board BEC. I haven't tried one yet as I have only used the external BEC's like the one from Hobby-Lobby on large planes so far. I have read some positive reviews on the Park BEC.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:16 PM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Wooot! Just home from the LHS, got the mini stick, park 480, eflite 40amp esc and a spectrum radio, things are looking up, before I out it together I gotta go fly the magpie, it's calm out and I can always put the MUS together when it's dark.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:50 PM
crast test dummie
Batteries not included!!!

Congrats Fabricator!!! Are you going with flaps?

CTD
Old 12-31-2005, 11:07 PM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Originally Posted by crast test dummie View Post
Congrats Fabricator!!! Are you going with flaps?

CTD
Nope, I think you were right, I can always do the flap thing later, and anyways I can always program in flaperons.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:50 AM
k-vette

The mini ultra stick looks pretty cool. If it flies at all like the larger ones you probably won't need the flaps. I glide a .60 ultra stick (actually has a OS .91 in it) in with the engine cut off for most landings.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:16 AM
Twmaster

Gerald thanks for the links! My LHS is out of small servos so I am stuck in a holding pattern until they come in.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Gerald thanks for the links! My LHS is out of small servos so I am stuck in a holding pattern until they come in.
I'm stuck also, with out a plane . The closest hobby shop to me that stocks the E-Flight brand is 30 miles away. I called them up to see if they had a MUS in stock and was told they had two. I was also told that they would be open till 6:00pm. Took me almost a hour to get there in the pouring down rain and heavy stop and go traffic. Got there at 5:15pm and guess what? CLOSED! There were three cars leaving when I pulled in the parking lot. Probably employees leaving early to go party. I hope they puke . LMAO, just kidding, but I wasn't to happy. Gonna have to wait until Tuesday now.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:05 AM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Brought ours home to put together this weekend. Won't happen that fast but it is here. Can't wait to see it in the air. Putting the e-flite 480 on it. Multiplex with a JR 700 receiver.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

I can't wait to fly her with the new hot rod motor.
Pictures show how far the motor sticks out. The 450 outrunner stuck far out there too. This mount is better for a geared motor. See Pictures I'll try to get some video of her to post.

If you look real close you can see the 1 oz. weight I put on tail, it's on the right side of the vert. stab. Go to the link.

Rugar that sucks, the same thing happend to me. GRRR!!

CTD

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=30&pp=15
Old 01-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Default Flight with 480 motor 1020 KV

All I can say is WOW!!! With the 12X6 it was fast and would climb verticle until I could barley see it. The thrust and speed is awsome. If you have a need for more speed you can prop down. I also flew the 11X7 It was quite a bit faster. I want to buy an 11X8.5 also, It was pulling 19 AMPs with the 11X7 so upping the pitch should keep her under the 22 AMP cont rating of this motor. I couldnt be happer with this motor.

Now for the bad news....On my second landing I broke the LG off! Looks like an easy fix, it was such a clean break. It should go back together pretty easy.

CTD
Old 01-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Twmaster

W00T! Got servos today. I'll begin assembly this afternoon!

Old 01-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

W00T! Got servos today. I'll begin assembly this afternoon!

You can have her done in a couple of hours or less. Will you maiden today? What power plant will you use? I'm waiting for the epoxy to cure on my LG. Don't know if I should fly her again today. Full cure is 8 Hours for the 30 Min epoxy.

CTD
Old 01-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Twmaster

I'm working on her right now, just taking a short break while hunting a small nut driver.

I'm thinking a AXi motor I have here as a power plant. My LHS is closed so I cannot pick up the recommended Park 480. If I finish early enough and the winds calm down perhaps a maiden will be had today.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

I'm working on her right now, just taking a short break while hunting a small nut driver.

I'm thinking a AXi motor I have here as a power plant. My LHS is closed so I cannot pick up the recommended Park 480. If I finish early enough and the winds calm down perhaps a maiden will be had today.
Which AXI

CTD
Old 01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Twmaster

Well that is a good question. I have a few (ok, more than a few) Outrunner motors here to pick from. So here is my list:

E-Flight:
1320kV Park 370
920kV Park 370

SK 400XT (~950kV)

AXi:
2208/20
2808/24

I have ESC's that will work great with the smaller outrunners but I cannot decide whether I want monster power on the thing just yet. I'm wondering if the smaller motors like the 400XT or either of the two smaller E-Flight motors will do the job.

*sigh*
Old 01-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

After flying this thing on the monster power of the 480 I'd say pick a powerful power plant, you'll love it.

CTD

Quick Reply: Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15031 seconds with 10 queries