Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight) - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Old 01-02-2006, 03:19 AM
Twmaster

I have just the opposite problem. I don't have a big enough prop. On 3S Lipo and a 9x4.7 APC SF prop I am drawing 5.8A and only 68W!
Old 01-02-2006, 03:25 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Originally Posted by Rugar View Post
Why would you want to go down in amps? Which 480 motor are you using?
My esc is a 20 amp, and my batteries are getting quite hot at wot, I've got a eflite outrunner 910kv 480, I put a 10x4.7 on it and it draws 17.5 amps at wot, and still has 2lbs of thrust.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:29 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

With the 10x4.7 it's running 177 watts.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:42 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

I don't think I would worry to much about 21amps on a 20amp ESC. The prop will unload slightly in flight most likely putting you at 20amps, plus the battery will drop voltage a bit in the first few mins. of flight. Your ESC should be rated at more then 20amp bursts, and you wont be flying at WOT all time anyway. Things are going to run much warmer while testing at WOT on the ground without any air flow. You might want to start with the lower amp draw for the first few flights to see how cool everything runs, then try the higher power setup. I don't think you will have a problem if your getting plenty of air past your motor to flow over your battery pack.

You could always step up to a 25amp ESC. Im going to run a Phx 35 on mine at around 28amps and 270 watts with a Axi 2808/24
Old 01-02-2006, 03:59 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

I don't think I would worry to much about 21amps on a 20amp ESC. The prop will unload slightly in flight most likely putting you at 20amps, plus the battery will drop voltage a bit in the first few mins. of flight. Your ESC should be rated at more then 20amp bursts, and you wont be flying at WOT all time anyway. Things are going to run much warmer while testing at WOT on the ground without any air flow. You might want to start with the lower amp draw for the first few flights to see how cool everything runs, then try the higher power setup. I don't think you will have a problem if your getting plenty of air past your motor to flow over your battery pack.

You could always step up to a 25amp ESC. Im going to run a Phx 35 on mine at around 28amps and 270 watts with a Axi 2808/24
OK now see thats why I love this place, thanks Rugar all I need is a little adult supervision.:o
Old 01-02-2006, 04:04 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
OK now see thats why I love this place, thanks Rugar all I need is a little adult supervision.:o
Man, I almost got offended there about the age thing until I read your profile. Your a few years older them me , but not by much !
Old 01-02-2006, 04:09 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Hey Fab,
What 20 amp ESC are you using?
Old 01-02-2006, 04:35 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

If your using this ESC:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=EFLA311B

And this battery:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=EFLB1035

You are just about maximized out on both of their capability's. The ESC just says 20amp continuous without giving a burst rating. The battery says 12C bursts and only 18amp continuous. I think that you should prop down. Your not going to realize the full potential of your motor without going to a 30amp ESC and a 12 to 15C battery. If you step up with those you can push your motor to 250 watts and probably a little more.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:42 AM
losi24
you buy it, i'll fly it.

you would prop down to get the amps down, but on that big of a motor, you dont need to worry about 21 amps. wouldn't it be equal to about a 600 brushed motor? my 600 swinging a 8x4 prop on 7 cells pulls around 26-28 amps.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:48 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by losi24 View Post
you would prop down to get the amps down, but on that big of a motor, you dont need to worry about 21 amps. wouldn't it be equal to about a 600 brushed motor? my 600 swinging a 8x4 prop on 7 cells pulls around 26-28 amps.
Over powering his motor isn't the problem. Its his amp draw from his battery and ESC where his problem is. He is just about right at the high limit for both.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:50 PM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Yep, those are the units alright, I'm going to stick with the 10x4.7 for now, and possibly a 10x7, the lost proformance will not matter much to this newb right now, and after I get used to this thing I will probably get a 40 amp esc and something like a thunder power battery, looks like no maiden today hard rain and 20 to 30mph wind today.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Twmaster

Same here. Wet, windy, cold.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:53 PM
crast test dummie
Batteries not included!!!

Yep, those are the units alright, I'm going to stick with the 10x4.7 for now, and possibly a 10x7, the lost proformance will not matter much to this newb right now, and after I get used to this thing I will probably get a 40 amp esc and something like a thunder power battery, looks like no maiden today hard rain and 20 to 30mph wind today.
Fabricator,

I just got one of these ESC's from LHS or Tower has them. They are a good value and appear to be well made. Also E-Flight has a 40 AMP ESC for about 52 bucks. Follow thew link to look at the ones from Great Planes.

We got thunder storms all day here. Everything east of me is getting hit too, it's all heading for the east coast. No flying today!!!

CTD

http://www.electrifly.com/escs/gpmm1800.html
Old 01-02-2006, 05:05 PM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

I'm headed to the LHS in a little while to restock my prop supply so I'll check out the esc's he has.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 PM
losi24
you buy it, i'll fly it.

Over powering his motor isn't the problem. Its his amp draw from his battery and ESC where his problem is. He is just about right at the high limit for both.
i didnt mean overpowering the motor. i mean overpowering the ESC. but are you talking about the, for example, 15C type of rating? like the discharge rating? i am very new to brushless and lipo.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:10 AM
crast test dummie
Batteries not included!!!

I just picked up a 12X6E APC for the 480. It should be faster than the SF 12 incher I'm currently running. Tomorrow is my day off and the weather says light 4 MPH winds in the afternoon, so I'll get a chance to really see the performance.

CTD
Old 01-03-2006, 01:15 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Originally Posted by crast test dummie View Post
I just picked up a 12X6E APC for the 480. It should be faster than the SF 12 incher I'm currently running. Tomorrow is my day off and the weather says light 4 MPH winds in the afternoon, so I'll get a chance to really see the performance.

CTD
Lucky dog, mine is just sitting there looking out the window, at thunder showers and 20mph winds
Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Twmaster

I just got back from my favorite LHS with props. I'll be testing them later in the week.

I took my MUS along with me to show the owner of the LHS.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:23 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Lucky dog, mine is just sitting there looking out the window, at thunder showers and 20mph winds
We had rain today with 25 MPH winds gusting to over 35 MPH!!! I'm looking forward to tomorrow, it's going to start to get cold around here. Today was the 1st day in a long time I didn't even to pack a plane in the trunk of my car. I can't wait to see how the 12X6E ACP flys her.

CTD
Old 01-04-2006, 12:23 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Flew my MUS for about one minute tonight, I am not afraid to admit this thing is to fast for me, I'm used to slow flyers and big high wing foamies, it nosed in but not to bad, I managed to cut the throttle and flare a little before it crashed there is only a broken prop, some minor damage to the nose, and my pride So my question is how would it work if I put a smaller outrunner on it and cut way back on the control throws, I'm talkin half or less of what they are now, untill I get used to how this thing flys, would it work?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Twmaster

Yikes. This is why I put the small outrunner on mine. I also have my D/R set to 35%. I'm going to wait until it is very calm and reasonably warm out. Fab old buddy, just fix her up, dial back the rates and giver 'er a go again.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:36 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Yikes. This is why I put the small outrunner on mine. I also have my D/R set to 35%. I'm going to wait until it is very calm and reasonably warm out. Fab old buddy, just fix her up, dial back the rates and giver 'er a go again.
I'm on it already pard This thing is really, really fast it rog'd in about 8 feet and I there was no way I could keep ahead of it my flight path looked like the stock market graph:p there was a lot of yankin and crankin for a couple seconds there I'm surprised it wasnt a pile of kindling when I picked it up but I have it almost patched up already.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Just because you have lots of power does not mean you have to use it all. That's what the throttle is for . Just learn some throttle management and don't fly it faster then your comfortable with, keeping it above stall speed of course. Are you using a computer radio? If you are, reduce your EPA and add a lot of EXPO to make your controls a lot less sensitive. If not, move your control rods closer to the center of the servo arms, and in the outside holes of the control horns. This will give you a lot less surface throw and make the model react slower to help you keep up.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:56 AM
losi24
you buy it, i'll fly it.

it this plane meant as just a fun flyer? or is it some hot aerobatic performer? it sounds really fun!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

I picked up a MUS from the LHS last night. I opened the box and turned it upside down and it almost put itself together after having to do a couple of small Mods . Getting the vertical stabilizer to slide all the way down was a real bear . Also my wing would not slide down into place without trimming away a little covering on the back of the wing and on both ends of the wing saddle on the fuse. My wing is a really tight fit.
I'm waiting for a channel expander and a Park BEC to get here for it so I can use the Quad Flaps option .

My set will be:
Axi 2808/24
Phx 35 ESC
Berg 9 (Berg 5 with channel expander)
Park BEC
6 HS-55 servos
Assortment of 3S 2100 to 2250 Lipo's

Quick Reply: Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15971 seconds with 10 queries