Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight) - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Old 01-05-2006, 02:17 AM
  #151  
qban_flyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

This is what I love about this site. The collective knowledge available here working for the good of us all.
 
Old 01-05-2006, 02:21 AM
  #152  
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!
 
fabricator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 370
Default

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
This is what I love about this site. The collective knowledge available here working for the good of us all.
I like to sit back and just let it wash over me.
fabricator is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 02:27 AM
  #153  
crast test dummie
Batteries not included!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 384
Default

Qban

Did you ever pick up a MUS??

CTD
crast test dummie is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 02:43 AM
  #154  
qban_flyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by crast test dummie View Post
Qban

Did you ever pick up a MUS??

CTD
It's sitting in the basement quietly in its box, along witht an E-Flite Ultimate FX 3D, seven of the H/L Yak-55s, two Pitts Pop Flyers and an assortment of other NIB models. Foamies as well as wooden ARFs.

I am currently at the keyboard trying to get over a bad cold and trying to decide if the MUS, the Goldberg Husky or the Ultimate is going to be the next project on my list.

I haven't quite decided which one to tackle next, though I have flown a MUS at CASA in Rockville, MD.:o

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I have a 60 sized Ultra Stick slimmer that gets flow once or twice a year.
 
Old 01-05-2006, 02:51 AM
  #155  
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!
 
Rugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Bernardino, Ca. USA
Posts: 2,621
Default

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
I have a 60 sized Ultra Stick slimmer that gets flow once or twice a year.
Conversion!
Rugar is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 03:00 AM
  #156  
crast test dummie
Batteries not included!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 384
Default

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
It's sitting in the basement quietly in its box, along witht an E-Flite Ultimate FX 3D, seven of the H/L Yak-55s, two Pitts Pop Flyers and an assortment of other NIB models. Foamies as well as wooden ARFs.

I am currently at the keyboard trying to get over a bad cold and trying to decide if the MUS, the Goldberg Husky or the Ultimate is going to be the next project on my list.

I haven't quite decided which one to tackle next, though I have flown a MUS at CASA in Rockville, MD.:o

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I have a 60 sized Ultra Stick slimmer that gets flow once or twice a year.
Cool,

I flew my buddys Ultimate FX 3-D today with the new Spectrum radio. It is a nice foamy. I like the fuse, not being profile. Looks more like a scale biplane. Colds suck!! Try some Zicam or zink tablets, it will help knock the snot [no pun intended] out of your cold.

CTD
crast test dummie is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 03:04 AM
  #157  
qban_flyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rugar View Post
Conversion!
Been thinking about that for almost one year now. It's the reason I don't fly it as much, I don't want the smelly slime to penetrate its wood.

Motor prices have come down considerably. I have been eyeing the E-Flite 60 outrunner. Quite nicely made and can lift a ten pound model. Not bad for the price.

The Li-Pos needed to make it work are a bit pricey though.:o
 
Old 01-05-2006, 03:08 AM
  #158  
qban_flyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crast test dummie View Post
Cool,

I flew my buddys Ultimate FX 3-D today with the new Spectrum radio. It is a nice foamy. I like the fuse, not being profile. Looks more like a scale biplane. Colds suck!! Try some Zicam or zink tablets, it will help knock the snot [no pun intended] out of your cold.

CTD
What I like about the Ultimate FX 3D is how nicely everything fits together, especially its canopy and hatch. And those colors, WOW!

I have a 2025 Himax combo for it. If it flies as good as it looks, it's a winner!

I maidened a Slow Stick with the DX6 two weeks ago for a friend. Great radio for P/F.
 
Old 01-05-2006, 03:17 AM
  #159  
crast test dummie
Batteries not included!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 384
Default

My buddy flys at the local dome so he thought it would stop the glitches. Today was the 1st flight with it. He'll take it to the dome this weekend to give it a real test. The Ultimate does fly well for 3-D stuff.

CTD
crast test dummie is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 03:59 AM
  #160  
Idaho
wheeeee!
 
Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coeur D'Alene Idaho
Posts: 176
Question Landing the MUS

Newbie here hopping over from the AP area. I've already met some good folks here.
I just traded a Typhoon for a MUS thinking it might be "gentler" to learn with. I've only flown a Firebird XL with no gear, just pancake landings. I can land anything on FMS OK but I know that doesn't mean much. I've read about proper landing procedures but thought someone flying this model could give me a little primer to reduce my fear of crashing it my first try.

I know it would be safer to be a co-pilot to start and I may have an opportunity to do this but then I might not.

Also, I've been practising with 3D models on FMS as I had the Typhoon. I see a Cub that seems it might be closer to the MUS. Any other ideas?

Grasshopper
Idaho is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 04:08 AM
  #161  
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!
 
fabricator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 370
Default

Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Newbie here hopping over from the AP area. I've already met some good folks here.
I just traded a Typhoon for a MUS thinking it might be "gentler" to learn with. I've only flown a Firebird XL with no gear, just pancake landings. I can land anything on FMS OK but I know that doesn't mean much. I've read about proper landing procedures but thought someone flying this model could give me a little primer to reduce my fear of crashing it my first try.

I know it would be safer to be a co-pilot to start and I may have an opportunity to do this but then I might not.

Grasshopper
I am a relative newb also, but I have been flying a four channel mountain models magpie for a few months, and a great planes yardstick before that, and just got an MUS and crashed it last monday night, not a lot of damage it is already back together, but a word of advice, if you have a computer radio set it up with dual rates, on the low rate you want very small control throws with a LOT of expo, and mind your throttle, this model is NOT a trainer and has no forgiveness for dumb thumbs, believe me I know:o, if you haven't read through this thread a lot of good advice was given, I havent flown mine again yet it has been to windy and rainy around here, maybe tomorrow.
fabricator is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 04:22 AM
  #162  
Mr. Baggins
Goofball
 
Mr. Baggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: God's country
Posts: 1,353
Default

Finally maidened the MUS today. It was cold and the winds were very unpredictable but towards afternoon it seemed to calm down. We have a paved runway but I decided to maiden off grass. The MUS handles our grass very well. I pushed the left stick forward about halfway and she darted off smartly and straight down the field. Slight up elevator after 25 feet or so and she jumped off the ground and climbed out beautifully. As luck would have it as soon as I got up to about 2 mistakes high the winds started up again and now they were coming from the tree line at my back. Not a good thing at our field. The winds were buffeting so much that I was not able to do much aside from a few rolls and loops but it seems like it will be a good flyer. My speed was a bit lame but I imagine that is because of the APC 10x7 SF prop. I should be receiving 11x8.5 soon. The landing was the exciting part and a dreaded one at our field when the winds come from over the tree line. On my first attempt I got hit by a down burst that slammed her down about 7 feet and she barely contacted one wheel and a wing tip. With my nerves tweaked up it took me 4 more passes to get her in. Lucky break in wind allowed a nice touch down and roll out. Taxied back and put her back in the trunk. The MUS is back at home now and not a scratch on it. Hopefully I'll get some warmer calmer air for the next flight.
Bill
Mr. Baggins is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 04:33 AM
  #163  
Idaho
wheeeee!
 
Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coeur D'Alene Idaho
Posts: 176
Default Landing the MUS

Hey Fabricator, that was fast - thanks.

Here's my setup:

E-flite mini ULTRA STICK
E-flite 40 amp brushless ESC
Outrunner Park 480 brushless motor (910 Kv)
Apogee 3-cell 2480 Li-Po
Multiplex LN-5014 charger
Spektrum DX6 radio

I'll be reading a lot about the radio to get it set up.
Anything more, eg throttle setting etc would be appreciated. I'll definitely look for a very calm day (7 feet down gust = )
After trimming I thought I should try some fly-bys a couple mistakes high, exploring low speed to find where the stall speed is. What are the stall characteristics?

Thanks

Grasshopper
Idaho is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 04:41 AM
  #164  
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!
 
fabricator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 370
Default

Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Hey Fabricator, that was fast - thanks.

Here's my setup:

E-flite mini ULTRA STICK
E-flite 40 amp brushless ESC
Outrunner Park 480 brushless motor (910 Kv)
Apogee 3-cell 2480 Li-Po
Multiplex LN-5014 charger
Spektrum DX6 radio

I'll be reading a lot about the radio to get it set up.
Anything more, eg throttle setting etc would be appreciated. I'll definitely look for a very calm day (7 feet down gust = )
After trimming I thought I should try some fly-bys a couple mistakes high, exploring low speed to find where the stall speed is. What are the stall characteristics?

Thanks

Grasshopper
I dont know about stalls I didnt fly long enough to find out My setup is pretty close to yours I'm using 2100mAh lipos, same motor with a spektrum radio, with that motor there is almost a 2:1 power to weight ratio, so I dont think stalls are going to be to hard to recover from.
fabricator is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 05:11 AM
  #165  
Idaho
wheeeee!
 
Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coeur D'Alene Idaho
Posts: 176
Default Landing the MUS

2:1 eh? Makes me wonder if I'm over my head. I think I'll keep the throttle settings down for a while.

I'm trying to get a routine in my head for landing. With the FMS models I find it easy to land with a dead stick and had to work at it to land with some throttle. I'm reading all the posts I can find. Someone here said it's best to land this model with some speed. I guess this gives more responsive controls and avoids stalls.

The more I read about what exactly folks are doing during the landing the more prepared I feel. For example the post above taught me I need to land with some battery reserve so I have the option of doing some go arounds. FMS taught me there's a lot the same about landing different models but each one requires significantly different techniques. So I'm hoping to gather as many specifics as possible.

Grasshopper (fussing about landing)

Some grasshoppers can learn by reading about others mistakes.
Some grasshoppers have to see mistakes happen.
Some just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Idaho is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 02:41 PM
  #166  
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!
 
fabricator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 370
Default

Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
2:1 eh? Makes me wonder if I'm over my head. I think I'll keep the throttle settings down for a while.

I'm trying to get a routine in my head for landing. With the FMS models I find it easy to land with a dead stick and had to work at it to land with some throttle. I'm reading all the posts I can find. Someone here said it's best to land this model with some speed. I guess this gives more responsive controls and avoids stalls.

The more I read about what exactly folks are doing during the landing the more prepared I feel. For example the post above taught me I need to land with some battery reserve so I have the option of doing some go arounds. FMS taught me there's a lot the same about landing different models but each one requires significantly different techniques. So I'm hoping to gather as many specifics as possible.

Grasshopper (fussing about landing)

Some grasshoppers can learn by reading about others mistakes.
Some grasshoppers have to see mistakes happen.
Some just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Or, set up flaperons, so when you come in for landing flip the flaperon switch and it will slow things down a bit, this is my first flaperon application so I dont speak from experience but from the advice I have received here and at the LHS.
fabricator is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 04:59 PM
  #167  
atlav8r
DJ at RCRN
Thread Starter
 
atlav8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cumming/Atlanta GA
Posts: 200
Default

Well since I started this thread I guess I should post my set up.
I have over powered it with the Extremeflight Torque 2830/1095 and the Air Boss 35Amp ESC. See the combo by clicking here This set up is the same as I have been running in my Mini Katana and is out of sight power at 1/2 throttle using the APC 11*7SF prop. After I flew it a bunch I am now using the APC 10*4.7SF (I broke the 11*4.7) and it is a blast.

I have a Thunder power 3 cell 2100 pro lite pack in it and HS-55 servos. I did not set it up as a 4 servo wing but did turn on the flaperons. It lands just fine without the flaps and will also go real fast with all of the power I have on it. I mounted the motor on the front but have seen many mounted inside.

All in all I am loving it!
atlav8r is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 09:18 PM
  #168  
Heightisgood
New England Flyer
 
Heightisgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 15
Default Landings

Idaho,

The beauty about this plane is that you can actually fly it. It's not like just flying the prop as you do on a lot of the 3D foamies, yet it will do every crazy move you want, ie hover, knife edge, etc. You want to maintain control for your landings so a little power is a good thing. :p A slight breeze to land into makes for a great experience. The key with this plane (IMOP) is that the rudder is your friend on approaches.

<Jeff
Heightisgood is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 10:39 PM
  #169  
Mr. Baggins
Goofball
 
Mr. Baggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: God's country
Posts: 1,353
Default

Flight #2 was unbelievable. The weather and winds were cooperating today and I let one of the best pilots at our field take her up to shake out the demons if any. He flew the covering off this thing. Everyone at the field was impressed with the MUS and there's gonna be shortage at the LHS soon I can guarantee. I need to do some heat gun action on my rudder and elevator though. The front portion of the rudder is curved to one side and the elevator is not aligned all the way across. (one side higher that the other) This made loops turn to one side slightly. Other than that small detail, I am absolutely satisfied with this one.
Mr. Baggins is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 11:14 PM
  #170  
Twmaster
Registered User
 
Twmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 6,632
Default

WOOTY!!

Great report Mr. Baggins!
Twmaster is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 11:39 PM
  #171  
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!
 
fabricator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 370
Default

Mine is all back together, tuned up, and waiting for the bleeding 25mph winds to die down.
fabricator is offline  
Old 01-09-2006, 02:08 AM
  #172  
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor
 
Crash Test Dummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sugar Grove
Posts: 2,748
Default

I flew this AM in 15 MPH winds. The wind was pretty wicked, it was gusting a good bit too! Funny how when you take off it is a steady wind, but after you get up there the winds kick up. LOL I put her down and flew my BL Stryker, it will fly in almost any wind up to 25 to 30 mph. Tuesday the weather looks better.

CTD
Crash Test Dummy is offline  
Old 01-09-2006, 04:02 AM
  #173  
Idaho
wheeeee!
 
Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coeur D'Alene Idaho
Posts: 176
Default

Heightisgood,
Thanks for the rudder tip. I've fooled with it on FMS but it's not at all in my noggin to use it yet. I suppose you compensate for crosswinds on approach, keeping your heading on approach without "rolling around" with just ailerons?
Idaho is offline  
Old 01-09-2006, 04:04 AM
  #174  
Twmaster
Registered User
 
Twmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 6,632
Default

Rugar: Sorry for the late reply but I looked at my Mini Stick today and no the slots for the flaps control horns were not cut.
Twmaster is offline  
Old 01-09-2006, 03:37 PM
  #175  
Heightisgood
New England Flyer
 
Heightisgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Heightisgood,
Thanks for the rudder tip. I've fooled with it on FMS but it's not at all in my noggin to use it yet. I suppose you compensate for crosswinds on approach, keeping your heading on approach without "rolling around" with just ailerons?
Yup - Without using the rudder on landings you risk wing tip hits, especially if there is a breeze (and usually a cross breeze :o which results in your plane "crabbing" onto the runway). Just give yourself as much of a run before you get close to the runway to help your alignment. Using rudder along with ailerons will become a natural with practice. The flat turns and flairs you can do using both will both make your flights more controlled and give you more options when the sky decides to "argue" with you and your plane :p

<Jeff
Heightisgood is offline  

Quick Reply: Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10099 seconds with 11 queries