Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight) - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Old 01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
crast test dummie
Batteries not included!!!

When I fly my Stryker [elevon control only] I find myself using rudder sometimes, LOL.

CTD
Old 01-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Idaho
wheeeee!

I did some FMS practise using rudder only and found out my left thumb is really dumb!
It's getting better though.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Rugar: Sorry for the late reply but I looked at my Mini Stick today and no the slots for the flaps control horns were not cut.
No problem Mike, thanks for looking. I'm still waiting for my Berg channel expander and radial mount for my Axi to arrive, so I have not been working on it. Hopefully they will arrive today.

I'm going to have to remove some covering and Mod one of the flaps by adding some balsa, so I have a place to mount the control horn for the flap since it needs to run off the other side of the servo arm to move in the correct direction. I wish I had a 7 channel Radio so I could avoid doing this. I will post picks of the Mod when I get it done.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
I did some FMS practise using rudder only and found out my left thumb is really dumb!
It's getting better though.
Just keep practicing and it will become natural to you. I had the same problem when I first started flying aileron planes.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:20 AM
crast test dummie

Rugar is rite, look at my post #176. I even find myself using rudder on planes that don't have a rudder, LOL.

CTD
Old 01-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Idaho
wheeeee!

CTD - I wasn't quite sure what that meant but now I get it.:o The left thumb gets programmed for rudder even when there is none.
Rugar - I appreciate the advice. I was being lazy in my FMS practise just ignoring it. I wish FMS had some wind to make it necessary. Any idea what model is closest to the MUS?

Hey Fred the VII. It dawned on me your condolances for the loss of my "nonexistent SS" may have been sincere not a joke. Perhaps I was not clear about it being in the planning phase?:o If that's the case my apologies.

Anyway it's still in the pipeline as I think you're right that I should bash one of those around before flying the MUS. It will also make a good trainer for my 3 daughters if I can get them interested. I just need to decide on a motor.

Since I'll likely smack it around some, I thought a smaller cheap brushless outrunner like the Tower Pro might be OK to go with my other gear with an upgrade later.

I was wondering if an outrunner might resist crash damage better than a geared setup.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Rugar - I appreciate the advice. I was being lazy in my FMS practise just ignoring it. I wish FMS had some wind to make it necessary.
Actually FMS does have a setting to adjust the wind. Its in the settings on the top of your screen somewhere.

Any idea what model is closest to the MUS?
I have not used FMS for quite awhile now so I really don't remember what models it comes with. You can go to the FMS site and click on some links to download more models for it. I'm sure there are a lot more models for it now then when I last used it. I now use AeroFly Pro Deluxe.

I was wondering if an outrunner might resist crash damage better than a geared setup.
Yes and no . Most outrunners (at least the ones I have) do have a beefier shaft, but are harder to replace if you bend one unless you have one with the c-clips that hold the shafts in like the new hackers. The shaft on a gear box can be changed in just a few minutes. If you ever buy a aftermarket gear box, look at getting a Cobri. There shafts are WAY over kill and you will probably NEVER bend it. And if you do happen to, they are lifetime guaranteed.
You can get the Cobri Gear Boxes here:
http://e-flightline.com/
Old 01-10-2006, 11:57 PM
TheRockman

Default MUSt have!!

I have a Hacker A20 20L on my MUS with a CC25 and a TP21003s pack. It is definitely the bomb...LOL. The only thing I can compare it to flight wise is my TT46 powered Tiger Stick. The Tiger Stick is the only plane I said I would never be without in my fleet but now I have two that are in that category.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Idaho
wheeeee!

Actually FMS does have a setting to adjust the wind.
I have version 2.0 beta 7. It has thermal options - updraft and bubbles but no wind option. I notice nothing changing thermal options. I think they are just for gliders (?).
Even without wind I'm getting comfortable with rudder, now able to keep track of throttle while using rudder. Still not coordinating rudder with aileron too well, crashing more during low level goofing around. Thankfully these crashes don't cost much.
I think I need to practise a proper circle and approach sequence - I have a link for that somewhere.

Yes and no . Most outrunners (at least the ones I have) do have a beefier shaft, but are harder to replace if you bend one unless you have one with the c-clips that hold the shafts in like the new hackers. The shaft on a gear box can be changed in just a few minutes. If you ever buy a aftermarket gear box, look at getting a Cobri. There shafts are WAY over kill and you will probably NEVER bend it. And if you do happen to, they are lifetime guaranteed.
You can get the Cobri Gear Boxes here:
http://e-flightline.com/
[/quote]

I guess it's like a lot of things - goes both ways. I think I'll stick with an outrunner rather than fussing with gears. Not sure yet if I'll go cheap (eg Tower Pro) expecting to bash it or invest in a better setup right away. Gotta look up those Hackers.

I have a Hacker A20 20L on my MUS with a CC25 and a TP21003s pack. It is definitely the bomb...LOL. The only thing I can compare it to flight wise is my TT46 powered Tiger Stick. The Tiger Stick is the only plane I said I would never be without in my fleet but now I have two that are in that category.
Nice to hear that Rockman. Now I'm curious - gotta look up the Tiger Stick. Would the A20 20L be comparable to the Park 480?
Old 01-11-2006, 02:45 AM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Not the same class motor Idaho. The Park 480 can turn a 12x6 E prop and the Hacker is in the 10x4.7 range. It may work but not as sprite performance.
The A30 28 would probablt be more in the meighborhood.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Idaho
wheeeee!

Not the same class motor Idaho. The Park 480 can turn a 12x6 E prop and the Hacker is in the 10x4.7 range. It may work but not as sprite performance.
Ok I won't ask for a whole motor primer as I'm working on that but just a little clarification. My interpretation is 12x6 gives more thrust, provided similar rpm or am I reversing things?

Edit: I figured it out after reading through the series of articles listed in the power section. I feel like I'm back in school.

Last edited by Idaho; 01-11-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:25 PM
TheRockman

I have the 10x4.7 on my A20 20l and the performance is awesome. I am afraid that with anymore power you could cause flutter and tear the plane apart. The A20 20L is the perfect motor in my opinion but not the only choice by a long shot.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Idaho
wheeeee!

Ya it's a hot rod I guess. The local guru who set me up likes his and hasn't ripped anything apart. I guess I'll go easy on the gas pedal.
I want to train first with a slow stick. Still pondering what brushless to hot rod one with.
I'll post that question in the power section.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:29 PM
crast test dummie

Default 11 inch prop

Originally Posted by Mr. Baggins View Post
Bill,

Are you running the 1020KV motor on a 11X? prop? I ran my 1020 KV with a 11X7 ACP today. HOLY COW does she ever move out with the smaller prop. I have been saying since day 1, that I wanted to try an 11 inch prop on this motor, but I never bothered to change the prop. I was having so much fun with the 12X6.

It seemed like it was at least 20 MPH faster than the 12X6. I took her up real high and put her into a verticle dive!! It was almost scary fast [not really]. Maybe as fast as my Stryker, all I know is I liked it. As I was ZOOOMING toward terra firma I was thinking how cool it would be to have the crow set up. I wonder what the limits are for speed on this airframe?? Anybody here know? Or have any idea?

Oh well, maybe after I recover [in a couple of months, if I'm lucky!!]from X-Mas [I have 5 grandkids ] I'll be able to pony up the cash to get an 7 or 8 CH receiver and a BEC. Good things come to those who wait.

CTD
Old 01-13-2006, 02:46 AM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Actually, I was running the 10x7 SF because I had nothing else. I now have the 11x8.5E prop which is supposed to be the ticket on this motor. We'll see this weekend. Should have video too some time early next week. (Fingers crossed)
Old 01-13-2006, 02:49 AM
crast test dummie

Originally Posted by Mr. Baggins View Post
Actually, I was running the 10x7 SF because I had nothing else. I now have the 11x8.5E prop which is supposed to be the ticket on this motor. We'll see this weekend. Should have video too some time early next week. (Fingers crossed)
I ran that prop before on another plane. It was a very nice prop, fast.

CTD
Old 01-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Well we're off to NC for the 3 day. Weather looks very questionable. (rain/wind) Hopefully we'll get some good air time in.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:21 PM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Saturday looks like a bust.

Sunday may be ok. Windy mostly.

Just call me a spoil sport
Old 01-14-2006, 05:59 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Default Crowing

Look at this sweet machine crowing!

CTD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CrowingF-22 Top.jpeg Gun1.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	5953  
Old 01-14-2006, 06:09 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by debhicks View Post
Just call me a spoil sport
Deb, your a spoil sport .
Feel better now?
Old 01-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Debbie - Looks good this morning on my side of I-95 Deb. One thing about living here is all the weather typically gets to the 95 and takes the North bound to VA.
Still wanna live in Asheville one day. The Wife loves the mountains. We'll see how the weather treats us as the day goes on.
Cheers
Bill
Old 01-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Jimmy Hoffa

Originally Posted by TheRockman View Post
I have the 10x4.7 on my A20 20l and the performance is awesome. I am afraid that with anymore power you could cause flutter and tear the plane apart. The A20 20L is the perfect motor in my opinion but not the only choice by a long shot.
I initially wanted to put a Hacker A20-20L on my MUS but could not get the CG anywhere near the specs. Did you have to add weight?
Phillip
Old 01-19-2006, 03:17 PM
GARich
Electric all the way

Thumbs up Good first flight

Finally had a nice day and flew the MUS. Needed some up trim, but had more than enough power. Flew three 5 min flights and was trimmed out hands off on the third flight. Still had plenty of power after 15 minutes, flew at just below 1/2 throttle. Full throttle, I thought the wings would come off.

HiMaxx 2025-5300 with a Cobri gear box 5.29:1
8X6 APC e prop
2220 3s Tanic LiPo.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

Originally Posted by GARich View Post
Finally had a nice day and flew the MUS. Needed some up trim, but had more than enough power. Flew three 5 min flights and was trimmed out hands off on the third flight. Still had plenty of power after 15 minutes, flew at just below 1/2 throttle. Full throttle, I thought the wings would come off.

HiMaxx 2025-5300 with a Cobri gear box 5.29:1
8X6 APC e prop
2220 3s Tanic LiPo.
Gar,
Have you checked the Amps with that setup. I bet you could prop up to at least a APC 9x7.5 SF and possibly a 10x7 SF and gain a lot more performance. For that little 8x6E prop, I think a 4:1 ratio would be correct. Just a suggestion from my experience.
Phillip
Old 01-19-2006, 06:11 PM
GARich
Electric all the way

Originally Posted by Jimmy Hoffa View Post
Gar,
Have you checked the Amps with that setup. I bet you could prop up to at least a APC 9x7.5 SF and possibly a 10x7 SF and gain a lot more performance. For that little 8x6E prop, I think a 4:1 ratio would be correct. Just a suggestion from my experience.
Phillip
Phillip,
The 8x6 prop is drawing 15.4 +/- amps at 150 watts static. Battery at rest was 12.2 volts. I tried a 9x6, 10x7 APCe props and they drew too many amps. I don't have any SF props other than GWS. Do you think it's worth while for me to get a couple APC SF props?

Rich

Quick Reply: Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15777 seconds with 12 queries