Muliplex Twister...Build Thread. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Muliplex Twister...Build Thread.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Question Muliplex Twister...Build Thread.

Hi guys/gals. I'm building a Twister EDF from Multiplex and had a question. The battery lead on my 60A ESC won't come close to reaching the battery bay...so should I make an extension for it? The reason I ask, is because I could have sworn that someone here once said that too long of an extension could affect the performance. I'm gonna need about a 12" extension to reach my battery in the battery bay.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I searched for threads on any builds on this model, but couldn't find anything. Wanting to get her finished by the end of next week. Thanks guys/gals.

Mike

Last edited by Angler-Hi; 01-01-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Went from a question to a build thread.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:54 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Hi Mike, I asked the very same question about a year or so ago and got quite a few answers on this thread.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36193
Hope it helps, Barry
Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
Hi Mike, I asked the very same question about a year or so ago and got quite a few answers on this thread.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36193
Hope it helps, Barry

Thanks a million Barry!! That helps alot. You're the man. Still a bit confused though...do I need to make the wire on my battery longer, the wires on my ESC longer?? My ESC is right in front of the fan housing...they literally touch...but my battery wire dosn't reach the battery bay in the cockpit because the wires just aren't long enough. Did you lengthen the wires on your ESC or battery? Or did you just make an "extension" with wire and deans plugs?

Mike
Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 AM
babylon5

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Thanks a million Barry!! That helps alot. You're the man. Still a bit confused though...do I need to make the wire on my battery longer, the wires on my ESC longer?? My ESC is right in front of the fan housing...they literally touch...but my battery wire dosn't reach the battery bay in the cockpit because the wires just aren't long enough. Did you lengthen the wires on your ESC or battery? Or did you just make an "extension" with wire and deans plugs?

Mike
Long wires at the battery sides are known to cause failure to ESC especially on high power setup. Long wires become highly inductive and can cause back e.m.f. voltage spike to the ESC. On the other hand, long wire to the 3 phase may generate noise to the normal crystal type receiver and cause glitches.

Where possible keep all the wires as short as possible.

If not possible, keep the battery side wire short.
Change to 2.4Ghz radio since they can tolerate the noise from the longer 3 phase wire. ( I use extension plug or soldered longer wire at the 3 phase wire to extend the wire for all my jet.)
The advantage is the ESC is kept away from the fan unit and there is no chance the ESC will smoke because of the long wire at the battery side.

Cheers
Old 12-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by babylon5 View Post
Long wires at the battery sides are known to cause failure to ESC especially on high power setup. Long wires become highly inductive and can cause back e.m.f. voltage spike to the ESC. On the other hand, long wire to the 3 phase may generate noise to the normal crystal type receiver and cause glitches.

Where possible keep all the wires as short as possible.

If not possible, keep the battery side wire short.
Change to 2.4Ghz radio since they can tolerate the noise from the longer 3 phase wire. ( I use extension plug or soldered longer wire at the 3 phase wire to extend the wire for all my jet.)
The advantage is the ESC is kept away from the fan unit and there is no chance the ESC will smoke because of the long wire at the battery side.

Cheers
Thanks friend. I'm gonna go with a simple wire extension with a Deans plug at each end. I'm gonna hook it up between the ESC and battery. The extension is 7" long. I'll try that and bench test it before installing it permanently.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

FWIW,

I use exceptionally long leads in my C-47.

With the batteries in the nose, and the controllers inside the engine nacelles, I've got about 1.5 ft. of battery wires to EACH SIDE.

There is a single part about 9" long from the Y at the batteries to the wing, then the wing wires split and run to each controller.

Its super long, but in all honesty, I have not noticed ANY ill effects, and I'm using a 72mhz FM radio.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:11 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Hi Mike , That's exatly what I did, make up an extension but in my case using 3.5mm bullet connectors. That way I could use the battery or ESC in other setups without major surgery. I did make sure that both extension wires were exactly the same length though. No problems in use at all.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Nitro and Barry! Barry, the leads on my ESC and battery are Deans plugs. That's why I was just gonna use a wire extension with the Deans on each end. I would never have to do any surgery to my batteries or ESC if I used them in another plane or setup. I appreciate all the input guys, I really do! Thanks a bunch!

Mike
Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well, the wire extension is done. I'm gonna bench test her for a total of three minutes, between 3/4 and full throttle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PC140013.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	115684  
Old 12-15-2009, 02:58 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Everybody has a differing argument for either or. I dont think it really makes a difference.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:09 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
Everybody has a differing argument for either or. I dont think it really makes a difference.
Thanks Alpea! Those are the kind of posts I LOVE to see, lol. Where it's possible to be in my favor.

Last edited by Angler-Hi; 12-15-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Well, the wire extension is done. I'm gonna bench test her for a total of three minutes, between 3/4 and full throttle.
Brother, that looks just fine.

I get away with this 'extension cord' with 2, 70 amp controllers pulling power through it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 243.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	115688  
Old 12-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default NICE!

Sweet!! Thanks for that pic Nitro, that's exactly what I want to see, lol.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well, she's been bench tested and no problems!! Using the stock setup with a 3s 3500mah 30C Li-po. She has plenty of power and thrust at only half throttle...even at full throttle for a steady 3 minute run time, the battery and ESC don't even get warm. The motor gets slightly warm to the touch but that's without airflow of being in flight.

Gonna paint her metallic purple with metallic silver accents outlined in metallic black. That's alot of metallic, lol. I'll start the painting tomorrow and post pics of the progress. Thanks everyone for all the help!!

Mike
Old 12-16-2009, 05:20 AM
Major-Gforce

for what its worth. On my pattern planes, I have over a foot long 3 phase wires and a 72mhz system and never had any glithes or drops in amp / watt draw or motor studders....
Old 12-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Major-Gforce View Post
for what its worth. On my pattern planes, I have over a foot long 3 phase wires and a 72mhz system and never had any glithes or drops in amp / watt draw or motor studders....
Yeah, I don't get it some people say it's bad to have such a length in these wires, but so many people have done it and never had any problems.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Major-Gforce

Yeah, I don't get it some people say it's bad to have such a length in these wires, but so many people have done it and never had any problems.

well i guess if you use quality name brand gear and good quality wire, should be fine. 12 inch of wire doesnt make a fart. IMO
Old 12-17-2009, 05:48 AM
BudE
30 years of flight

Smile Long wire in my Twister

I put my ESC at the fan as the plan shows, used bullet connectors to the battery area. I am still using the stock motor/fan combo but I am using 2 2200mah 3 cell packs from my T-Rex wired in parrallel with a my home made wiring with Deans. Get about 6-7 minutes with batteries down to 80 percent and just barely warm. The batteries go alll the way to the rear of the compartment and CG is right on. I used the 2 metal balls. In the front of the compartment I have a small heli gyro on the ailerons.Using 2.4.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Bud! Everything seems good right now. I have a WattsUp watt meter on the way...I want to run her up and see how many amps she'll be drawing on WOT...as well as battery life. I'm running a 3s 3500mah 30C. I guess I can go with the two 3s 2200mah like you....we'll see what's easier to get the CG though.

Why did you go with bullet connectors for the extension running to the battery bay instead od Deans plugs...just curious?

Mike
Old 12-19-2009, 04:15 AM
BudE
30 years of flight

I used the bullet connectors between the ESC and the esxtension I made to maintain a smooth path for airflow at the fan area. My ESC is right in front of the motor/fan. Then I used Deans to connect to my batties. For me the CG was super when I push the two 22oo 3S LIPO's as far to the rear as I can get them. I am very happy with the twister. It is my 1st ducted fan. I now have added an F9F-6 Panther because that is what I worked on in the NAVY back in the mid 50's. I haven't flown it yet. I was really excited when I saw the 70MM Screamer fan/motor combo from Hoffman at last year's Toledo show but it seems they are not doing so well now so I guess I'll stay with the stock setup. It's not the fastest electric jet at our field but fast enough and much larger than most. A hard wind seems to help it climb out from the launch and winds 10-15 MPH that ground the small ones don't bother the Twister. Two other club members have bought them because they like mine so much.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BudE View Post
I used the bullet connectors between the ESC and the esxtension I made to maintain a smooth path for airflow at the fan area. My ESC is right in front of the motor/fan. Then I used Deans to connect to my batties. For me the CG was super when I push the two 22oo 3S LIPO's as far to the rear as I can get them. I am very happy with the twister. It is my 1st ducted fan. I now have added an F9F-6 Panther because that is what I worked on in the NAVY back in the mid 50's. I haven't flown it yet. I was really excited when I saw the 70MM Screamer fan/motor combo from Hoffman at last year's Toledo show but it seems they are not doing so well now so I guess I'll stay with the stock setup. It's not the fastest electric jet at our field but fast enough and much larger than most. A hard wind seems to help it climb out from the launch and winds 10-15 MPH that ground the small ones don't bother the Twister. Two other club members have bought them because they like mine so much.
Nice! Thanks Bud. I'm waiting on another air compressor that I ordered from Harbor Freight. My old one just isn't up to par anymore. I want to paint the Twister in pieces (wings, fuse, canopy, Etc.) then assemble her. I'm pretty much at a stand-still until it gets here.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:50 AM
BudE
30 years of flight

I will be waiting to see how many watts you can pull with the stock setup once you get your new watt meter on it. As I recall, I only could get a little over 300 and that didn't last long it fell pretty quick to about 287 and stayed ther for most of the flight. (I hope I'm remembering those numbers right). I have never put a mark on it after lots of flights, maybe 50, but I have had a couple close calls letting it get to far away from me so I couldn't see it good against a gray sky and the other time I got too slow trying to save battery and almost lost it. Full throttle picked it right back up to flying speed again but by then I was too low and too far out. I have been having good luck with the Zippy 30c batteries from Hobby king. I will wait to see how long they last. I have some Thunderpowers I use in the jet that just finished their 3rd summer of use.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I like the Zippy batteries too. I'll let you know what I get when I maiden her (amps, watts, Etc.).
Old 12-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well, everything went together well. I started painting her last night in pieces. The wings, vertical and horizontal stabs, and now working on the fuse. She's metallic purple on top with a big stenciled dragon on both wings and a small one on one side of the vertical stab. The dragon was done in metallic black. The bottom will also be done in metallic black.

I have one more coat to add on the fuse and then stencil the dragons on the wings. I'll be taking pics as soon as she's complete and assembled. Should have that all completed by today. Stay tuned...
Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well I decided that the black on the bottom of the wings would be too much as far as orientation in the air...so, I went with metallic silver instead. The final coats are drying right now, then when they're dry, I'm gonna coat her with oil-modified water based polyurethane. Going with a glossy finish and protectant. I'll post pics later this morning as soon as I get her done and finally assembled.

Quick Reply: Muliplex Twister...Build Thread.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10878 seconds with 15 queries