What's the general consensus on the YOU CAN DO model plane - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

What's the general consensus on the YOU CAN DO model plane

Old 03-18-2015, 05:15 AM
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

Default What's the general consensus on the YOU CAN DO model plane

i have the you can do plane on a simulator that has become a favorite. Does anyone have experience with an electric medium or scale size plane?
Does it float in the air like the sim?
I can get this thing to do amazing tricks like auto rotate landings and some hovering.
I really would be interested in finding a real model or something very similar.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:20 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

One of my Sims has a Radian glider and it flies exactly like my RC one.
Guess it depends on the Sim how accurate it is.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:48 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Familiar with the 60 and 90 glow versions.... but it really won't matter much how you power them.
Balsa and plywood construction, heat shrink covering.

They are light weight and highly responsive aircraft capable of just about anything you can ask of them... except high speed.
The sims generally ignore the possibility of flutter.

Subject to flutter at excessive speed due to the light construction. generally keep it reasonable and it will be fine.

They are built to fly, not to survive impacts. They'll take a bouncy landing OK, but if it hits hard its not pretty.

I would expect the same from the smaller versions... if made of the same materials.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:40 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by gadgeter View Post
i have the you can do plane on a simulator that has become a favorite. Does anyone have experience with an electric medium or scale size plane?
I can get this thing to do amazing tricks like auto rotate landings and some hovering.
Many SIM's provide the ability to perform some truely amazing flight characteristics........but, "auto-rotate" is not a term or function I'm familiar with when it comes to fixed wing craft...............it's really a function used for rotor driven craft, particularly in a fail-safe mode to bring the craft down "more gently" in a panic or unstable situation, (where it's not spinning 360* horizontaly out of control)......fixed wing rarely experience that function, and to intentionaly make one perform that and recover (in a real world situation), would take some pretty amazing pilot skils......

Remember, alot of SIM's can provide several "external" conditions the craft may be subject to in "real" flight conditions.....however, 99% of the time, the flight characteristics represent "a perfect" flying condition and the crafts are set-up (dialed into) "almost perfect" mechanical tuning.

So, it may be a stretch to find a model fixed wing craft that can "auto-rotate" on command.........!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:35 PM
pcm10xmode

I have been flying the 45 size with a 4stroke 90. Wing is symmetrical and when set up properly, can do knife edges, rolling circles and hovering. It is my "goto" when I want to relax and fly. I at least have a handle on hovering, but in this video, I am working on backing it down in the wind which is a problem. If you are looking for an all around airplane, it fits the bill and but for high speed, agree with others above, it tends to resonate and flutter.
Be prepare for when they crash, it is usually messy, especially if the engine quits in hover.

Oh yeah, rearrange the letters and you-can-do can be put on as CAN-YOU_DO 3D?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Va3OAY4_s
Old 03-19-2015, 11:18 PM
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

I'm not looking for speed. In fact I favor a slower plane. I'm mostly into gliders now in the RC world and some of them are plenty fast. My 2600 mm evolution Phoenix is great.

By auto rotate. I mean full rudder full flap/ail. Slow spin landing on a dime. I made the term up for fixed wing. I know it's a heli term.

Sounds like a good choice to start looking for. I want an all around slow plane with some 3d capabilities. Long throw control surfaces seem to make a big difference if you can handle it. I would need to run at slow rates for sure!
Old 03-19-2015, 11:24 PM
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

Don't laugh till you tried it but the sim I am talking about is an app for iPad made by happy bytes called Absolut RC Simulator.
It's fantastically written and very realistic. The super cub Rc sim on it flies just like my real RC one does.
You can change conditions to add wind and stuff so you don't get lazy flying perfect scenario.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:40 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

I had a cheap RC simulator and the experience was not good. After a long time and lots of effort I was able to control a super-supped up 200mph RC fighter jet that could roll at about 5-10hz. The problem was that the program could never really give you a sense of how turbulence makes flying harder. Therefore when I confidently bought a UMX Mig-15 and flew it in a 3-5mph wind it almost immediately was thrown to the ground and broke.

Are the high quality sims any better in this respect?
Old 03-20-2015, 12:39 AM
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

absolutely, The one I like now has the option to plug in at least 12 different weather scenarios from typical summer day to gusty and how gusty. Even very windy if you so desire. Locations are also changeable. All are representations of actual fields and RC airports. Its amazing for a ipad app. Absolute RC its called
Old 03-20-2015, 01:26 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Most of the better sims have weather, wind, cloud, thermals etc
I flew an A320 the other day and did a high speed run and tight turn and was pleasantly surprised when the wings ripped off in mid-air.
Program was Aerofly.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:27 PM
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

Amazing how they can write so much realizm in the code. That takes a lot of work if you know anything about coding electro mech stuff
Old 03-22-2015, 10:33 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Takes a lot of computer processing power to get the realism also.... with the computers of 10 yrs ago it would take 10 min to process 5 seconds of flight in a modern flight sim.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:24 AM
GunnyJeeves

You get a good sim, and 3d plane with high roll rate, you can blender it into splinters. (RF will rain plane parts...)
Old 03-23-2015, 01:33 AM
GunnyJeeves

Originally Posted by gadgeter View Post
The floaty feel is a combination of:
Wing area compared to weight (Biplanes are typically more floaty.) Wing loading.
High thrust to weight. (Larger prop, that produces thrust at much lower speeds)
And large control surfaces. (So you have more control at slower speeds.)

The floatiest planes I own are my Extremeflight 48" Yak, and my Griffwerks profile foamy. Both fly seemingly like they have a wide flight envelope covering about 1 mile per hour up to about 40 and 20 respectively.

Both can flip over 180 degrees in any direction in their own length.
Do a 1/2 loop before they fall a foot or two