Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

6 Foot Telemaster Electro

Old 05-26-2008, 02:52 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Default 6 Foot Telemaster Electro

Maiden flight -- 6 to 8 mph winds - Power 25BL/40A ESC 12X6E Prop/3S 4200 Batt.

Not good - Weather-vaned on take off...cut power glide to smooth landing.

Maiden Flight2 -- 3 to 5 mph winds - same equipment - Immediate tail stand on take off gained altitude but could not control the elevation... cut power and glide to landing in tall grass -- Damage; lost undercarriage from plane (5 min epoxy fixed it)....found elevator control horn separated from elevator.

Suspected CG wrong....Book says 4.25 to 5" behind leading edge. Was set to 4.5......moved to 4"

Re maiden #3 -- Zero wind... Beautiful flight though seemed slugish...Great landing.

Flight #2 (after successful maiden) 3 to 5 mph winds.... Great flight and Landing though had to fight the wind constantly. It wanted to be carried away. It seems as if I just did not have enough power,

Book says it was test flown with a 750 watt motor so I checked mine and came out to 330 watts. Only 60 watts per pound... not enough power to fight a slight breeze considering the huge wing area.

I have ordered the following for this AXI 2826/12 (same as reviewer)/60A ESC/ 14.7 props/ 2-4S batteries.

I'll update the next flight with the new equipment.

Great plane.....Love it......Flaps help for short field landings....it will float even without power in winds...as the main wing stalls the tail lifts forcing the plane nose down to gain airspeed providing lift on the main wing again. you must deliberately land to control the float.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:21 PM
floridawen

Question

Originally Posted by rea59 View Post

Not good - Weather-vaned on take off...cut power glide to smooth landing.

Maiden Flight2 -- 3 to 5 mph winds - same equipment - Immediate tail stand on take off gained altitude but could not control the elevation... cut power and glide to landing in tall grass -- Damage; lost undercarriage from plane (5 min epoxy fixed it)....found elevator control horn separated from elevator.

Suspected CG wrong....Book says 4.25 to 5" behind leading edge. Was set to 4.5......moved to 4"

Re maiden #3 -- Zero wind... Beautiful flight though seemed slugish...Great landing.

Flight #2 (after successful maiden) 3 to 5 mph winds.... Great flight and Landing though had to fight the wind constantly. It wanted to be carried away. It seems as if I just did not have enough power,

Book says it was test flown with a 750 watt motor so I checked mine and came out to 330 watts. Only 60 watts per pound... not enough power to fight a slight breeze considering the huge wing area.

I have ordered the following for this AXI 2826/12 (same as reviewer)/60A ESC/ 14.7 props/ 2-4S batteries.

I'll update the next flight with the new equipment.

Great plane.....Love it......Flaps help for short field landings....it will float even without power in winds...as the main wing stalls the tail lifts forcing the plane nose down to gain airspeed providing lift on the main wing again. you must deliberately land to control the float.
From reading the ad on Hobby Lobby it appears they want you to use the AXI 2826/12 OUTRUNNER Brushless Motor !!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I am using a Scorpion 3026-12 on my 6ft Telemaster with 2 3s2100 ProLite TPs in parallel, with a 13x6.5 prop. The planes has more than enough power. Remember, a telemaster is not supposed to be a rocket. My take offs are quick, and my flights a lazy. I love it. It does have enough power for rolls, loops, and inverted flight (Which is funny to see).

Before you give up on the Power 25, try it on 3 cells with a 14x7 prop. You should get a lot better performance. You can also run it on 4s with a 12x6 prop.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:05 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
I am using a Scorpion 3026-12 on my 6ft Telemaster with 2 3s2100 ProLite TPs in parallel, with a 13x6.5 prop. The planes has more than enough power. Remember, a telemaster is not supposed to be a rocket. My take offs are quick, and my flights a lazy. I love it. It does have enough power for rolls, loops, and inverted flight (Which is funny to see).

Before you give up on the Power 25, try it on 3 cells with a 14x7 prop. You should get a lot better performance. You can also run it on 4s with a 12x6 prop.

The 750 Watt AXI will be going in at 4S with the 14X7. I have 4.5" bush tires on it and like to fly at 2/3 throttle with the overhead for spare and windy conditions. I'm just not sure I can get enough out of the Power 25 to make me feel comfortable. As I said with no wind it was great but even with light winds I was struggling. At one point I was hovering facing the wind (a light wind) max power barely gave headway. The Scorpion 3026-12 is a 900 Watt motor capable of 85 Amps/ The AXI is a 750 Watt motor @ 45 Watts and the Power 25 would struggle to do 475 Amps (I have a 5 foot Cub that the Power 25 belongs in and will up it to 4S with the 12X6)
Old 05-26-2008, 05:42 PM
simibill
General Factotum

I don't think a Telemaster Electro is a Pattern aircraft.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:50 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Originally Posted by simibill View Post
Well it's not considered scale (or any of the other available categories), it is a trainer and pretty much flies in circles (pattern), I didn't see a topic for "Trainers" so felt this would be the best place...sorry:o if I'm wrong the mods can place it where it should go.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:53 PM
floridawen

Question

Well it's not considered scale (or any of the other available categories), it is a trainer and pretty much flies in circles (pattern), I didn't see a topic for "Trainers" so felt this would be the best place...sorry:o if I'm wrong the mods can place it where it should go.
?? Maybe just "beginners" ??
Old 05-26-2008, 05:56 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Ray,

I have suggested the creation of a forum for Trainer aircraft.

floridawen,

As I outlined in that post, while it definately fits in the beginner section, I felt that Trainer aircraft deserve their own section, especially for those of us somewhat experienced pilots who are no longer "beginners" per se, but still enjoy the relaxing style of flying these aircraft evoke.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:03 PM
floridawen

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Ray,

I have suggested the creation of a forum for Trainer aircraft.

floridawen,

As I outlined in that post, while it definately fits in the beginner section, I felt that Trainer aircraft deserve their own section, especially for those of us somewhat experienced pilots who are no longer "beginners" per se, but still enjoy the relaxing style of flying these aircraft evoke.

Sounds like an excellent suggestion........... the "TRAINER" section !!
Have a GREAT HOLIDAY today !!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 PM
simibill
General Factotum

Not to worry, It was just my attempt at being humorous.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Not to worry, It was just my attempt at being humorous.
No problem...may have spurred an improvement. Love your sig BTW and yes I have used it in conversation.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:23 PM
simibill
General Factotum

I think the Telemaster Electro fits in the Sports Airplane category rather than a "Trainer Aircraft" category.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:33 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

I have the AXI in the plane now with the 4S batt and 14X7 prop. Boy what an extreme difference in sheer power. Can't wait to put it back in the air. A combination of winds/road construction and just plain time off have kept me from the field. Also took the nimh RX batt out and added a UBEC w/2S lipo for the the RX Power.

Also the tail wheel steering sucks....so made a modification to that to really make it work as it should.

I'll try to get some pic's up soon.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:00 AM
ragbag
Super Contributor

It's not!!! But it is a ic/electric conversion. This is nott a pattern forum any way. You must be in the wrong place.

I and several friends fly the Telemaster 40 electric. It's called the 40 because it was the glo 40 before the conversions. We use the A123 4s2p and fly all day with that. It needs the weight. The original Telemaster (96" wing span)is a work plane used to pull lines accross the valleys in the european mountains, then the lines are used to pull up power cables for electric power. Also as a camera plane.
Many uses besides just "plane" fun, pun intended.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by ragbag; 06-17-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

I found the original tail wheel steering weak. Here is my mod:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	left1.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	69639   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear1.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	69640   Click image for larger version

Name:	right1.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	69641  
Old 06-25-2008, 01:23 AM
mred
Super Contributor

I never liked the stock tail wheel on the Telemaster, so I replaced mine with a Sullivan tail wheel assy. Works great. Mine is the SR Telemaster and I love it, even if I am no longer a beginner. It's a very relaxing plane to fly and I'll have mine back up again as soon as I fix the hole my dog dug in the wing. Just ripped the covering, but I have been lazy lately.
Ed
Old 06-25-2008, 01:40 AM
ragbag
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mred View Post
I never liked the stock tail wheel on the Telemaster, so I replaced mine with a Sullivan tail wheel assy. Works great. Mine is the SR Telemaster and I love it, even if I am no longer a beginner. It's a very relaxing plane to fly and I'll have mine back up again as soon as I fix the hole my dog dug in the wing. Just ripped the covering, but I have been lazy lately.
Ed
Talk about lazy, I sold the Saito 72 off of my Senior Telemaster a year ago and still haven't installed the Axi 4130 that I've have had few months. It was my starting trainer and had trouble landing it, wanted to float. Got a trainer and things got better. Course if you go to the vintage forum you will see the Ben Buckle Elf that I saved. Another person made a mess out of the build and the owner gave it to me.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 AM
ragbag
Super Contributor

Default My Senior Telemaster

Click image for larger version

Name:	George's Telemaster.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	70472
Old 06-28-2008, 02:38 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Default Motor Data

Old 06-28-2008, 02:42 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Originally Posted by ragbag View Post
Looks Great! I added flaps to mine (25 degrees and 55 degrees) to help. As soon as I figure out how I will program in "crow" to make the landings a little quicker without the float.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:47 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Originally Posted by ragbag View Post
It's not!!! But it is a ic/electric conversion. This is nott a pattern forum any way. You must be in the wrong place.

>>>>>>>
This thread was originally posted in the pattern forum and then moved by the mods to here.:o
Old 06-28-2008, 03:21 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Ray, I just came across this thread.
What brand control horns are you using?

The Du Bro ones I have, the 2-56 bolts go through the horn and screw into a retainer on the other side.
If I screwed the bolt into the horn, it wouldn't grab all that securely.

Just wondering.
Paul
Old 06-28-2008, 03:35 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Ray, I just came across this thread.
What brand control horns are you using?

The Du Bro ones I have, the 2-56 bolts go through the horn and screw into a retainer on the other side.
If I screwed the bolt into the horn, it wouldn't grab all that securely.

Just wondering.
Paul
That's what caused my first maiden to fail. The screws (and back plate) came out of the elevator horn. Luckily I was able to "float" it to a decent landing using only rudder and ailerons) Look at the pic's and you will see I used a different rudder horn (Dubro) and for the elevator I used longer screws (also used 3mm instead of 2-56). I may still change this one out to the same as the rudder.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:23 AM
mred
Super Contributor

I used a split elevator on mine with two servos and some GOOD horns. I don't remember who made them, but they were not the ones that came in the kit. I also use flaperons on mine and drop them on final and use rudder to steer it from there. Ailerons don't seem to work to good with flaps down. One of these days I am going to split my flaps and ailerons and have real flaps. By the way, that is one good looking Sr Telemaster. Mine is still stock Yellow and I kind of like it, but I will recover it one of these days.
Ed
Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 AM
randynsaudi
randynsaudi

Default telemaster

finished my Telemaster Electro needed something slow and floaty.. modded the wing to bolt on and added some struts and have wheel pants comeing....useing the AXI motor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02463.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	71057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02464.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	71058   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02467.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	71059  

Quick Reply: 6 Foot Telemaster Electro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16970 seconds with 19 queries