Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

PC PSU Conversion - Dual Rail

Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 AM
Brandon Ondrey
BadB

Default PC PSU Conversion - Dual Rail

I am just getting into R/C again after a 16yr hiatus and back then it was mostly cars anyway. I've been using a micro Champ for almost a year and recently got a micro T-28 and Mosquito as well as well as DX6i. With all the batteries it was finally an excuse to get a good charger which I can also use for other applications around the house. So I have an iCharger 106B+ on its way. Seeing the cost of power supplies I asked myself if I could use my old PC PSU, which I easily found tons of info on and is also how I found this forum. There is a TON of great info on here, but I can't find a couple things in others' posts that apply to me:

Mine is a CoolMax 500W but is really 555W total, 400W of which is 12V. Problem is that 400W is divided into two rails, one at 16A and other at 18A. Is there a way to modify the PSU so those amperages add together? Obviously not looking to double my voltage going serial, want to keep the 12V, just join the amp ratings into one. I'm not expecting anyone know as I'm sure it's an obscure question, but if any of you do that would be great! The 18A rail alone would work OK, but was just trying to get the PSU to supply to the charger's max capability (250W) for other uses (3 batts on my boat, the cars, many 18V tool batts, etc).

The other thing and more pertinent is the resistance requirement on the 5V rail in order for the 12V to work correctly. Is that requirement just on older PSUs? I was reading of some needing to do it and some didn't. How will I tell if I need to do that?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
TheWoodCrafter

Brandon,
It may be hard to find someone that has used your exact PS but I think you would have more luck here -
http://www.rcgroups.com/batteries-and-chargers-129/

I think these are the guy that started using computer PS for DC PS for our use.

Last edited by TheWoodCrafter; 10-20-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:01 AM
Brandon Ondrey
BadB

Default Thanks

Thank you for sharing that. I looked at it and is mostly about PSUs out of enterprise servers. It did mention dual PSUs in serial, which I'm not doing but is a similar idea, since I have two 12V rails in my PSU and want to join them together. I just didn't want to have them in series and wind up with 24V, wanted to put in parallel and have a 12V w/ the two amperages added together. All that said, was just throwing it out there to see if anyone had heard of doing such a thing. No biggie. I'll just use the one 12V rail at 18A and call it good then look at another power source if and when I actually max this one out.
Thanks again.
-Brandon