E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Blade CX2 - difficult to maintain altitude

Old 08-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Laszlo

Default Blade CX2 - difficult to maintain altitude

Anyone else has problems to maintain altitude flying a Blade CX2? I find that when applying rudder, however gently, my bird either takes off towards the ceiling or loosing altitude. I learned to compensate for this quite well still, I find it impossible to keep the CX2 hovering at the same height for more than a few seconds at a time. ??

Also when I am trying to land on four coasters on the basement floor (approx 8"x 8") to test/stretch my landing skills (to imitate real helis) this bird is very slippery. Sliding left right front and back - all over the target. I keep flying around the 'landing zone' over and over until - well i almost make it. Is this because of the 'ground effect'? Is this behavior the result the light weight of the CX2? How do real helis behave?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 AM
singingperry

The cx2 is a light bird and the turbulence it makes for itself (especially in small enclosed areas) really moves it around a lot when close to the walls or the floor. It flies best a few feet above the floor and in the middle of the room away from objects. Too close to the wall and it will actually suck itself into it, too close to the floor and it will float around till you cut the throttle. The cx's tail moves around by changing the speed of one of the motors, if the tail moves around the other way then the other motor is changing speed, this is how it turns without a tail rotor. Unfortunately, this also affects altitude. When I hot dog the heli around my kitchen I tend to bounce the heli off the floor a lot which is why I always have spare landing skids handy.(And spare blades).
Old 08-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Laszlo

Originally Posted by singingperry View Post
The cx2 is a light bird and the turbulence it makes for itself (especially in small enclosed areas) really moves it around a lot when close to the walls or the floor. It flies best a few feet above the floor and in the middle of the room away from objects. Too close to the wall and it will actually suck itself into it, too close to the floor and it will float around till you cut the throttle. The cx's tail moves around by changing the speed of one of the motors, if the tail moves around the other way then the other motor is changing speed, this is how it turns without a tail rotor. Unfortunately, this also affects altitude. When I hot dog the heli around my kitchen I tend to bounce the heli off the floor a lot which is why I always have spare landing skids handy.(And spare blades).
Thanks for your note. I kind of figured that this is the case with small coax helis.
Try to get a set of 'indistructable extreme' landing skids - they work! www.bladecx2.com or www.cx2parts.com
Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Anyone else has problems to maintain altitude flying a Blade CX2? I find that when applying rudder, however gently, my bird either takes off towards the ceiling or loosing altitude. I learned to compensate for this quite well still, I find it impossible to keep the CX2 hovering at the same height for more than a few seconds at a time. ??

Also when I am trying to land on four coasters on the basement floor (approx 8"x 8") to test/stretch my landing skills (to imitate real helis) this bird is very slippery. Sliding left right front and back - all over the target. I keep flying around the 'landing zone' over and over until - well i almost make it. Is this because of the 'ground effect'? Is this behavior the result the light weight of the CX2? How do real helis behave?
Remember that the left stick also controls the throttle. When you are applying rudder, you are unintentionally moving the throttle up or down. This just takes practice to overcome.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 AM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

There's a theory that the notches that make the "clicks" in the throttle stick can be 1/2 click off, making it hard to hit the perfect setting. There's a mod out there for filing off the notches.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 AM
brnyrbbl