Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Taking dog for a walk ... Soviet defences ..

Old 02-17-2018, 08:19 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Taking dog for a walk ... Soviet defences ..

..... Wife decided we needed to walk one of our dogs outside of our own 3.5acres ....

Uzava - about 20 mins drive down the coast ... and still has some of the old Soviet Defences ...

Nigel
Old 02-17-2018, 06:57 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

What a gorgeous shoreline. Hope Putin doesn’t come knockin. Strategic area. I’m sure he drools about the possibilities.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:00 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
What a gorgeous shoreline. Hope Putin doesnít come knockin. Strategic area. Iím sure he drools about the possibilities.
I honestly don't think he has any plans on the Baltic - all the infrastructure they built and was so important to USSR - the Ports and Ice Free navigation has been replaced by Russian Ports and co-operation / co-ordination with Finland - who also wish to keep Ports open from Ice.
Baltics would be far too costly for Russia to do anything with now and particularly the 3 states are now part of the EU.

Of course the Baltic States cry and claim they are under threat from the Russian Bear ... Nato supplies watch forces and support. But in reality - most of what is reported as 'aggressive' moves by Russian Aircraft etc. is same as they have been doing ever since the States became independent ... it only became a 'Political' concern after Crimea - which was for totally different reasons ...

Anyway ... thought you guys would like to see it !

I'm trying to get VIRAC to let my aerial video the big 32m Radio Telescope just north of me ... built by Soviets for not only Space exploration - but also spying on West ! It was repaired by Latvian Group and is now part of the European Network.

http://latviainside.com/visit/little...he-baltic-sea/

What they don't tell you - is that the whole site was offered to Latvia intact - but Latvian Authorities basically told Russia to take its **** and go ... so Russians said - ok - no-one will have it. They destroyed the workings.

Its not only mistake Latvians made ... Liepaja Port was Soviet military ... housed part of the Navy that even fought in Russo Japanese war .. in fact many thousands died in that from Liepaja.
When Latvia gained Independence - Russia offered the ships there - Latvia said - Take your **** with you....
Russian Navy then scuttled a couple of ships across the Port Entrance ! Took massive effort on part of UK / Dutch salvage work to clear part of it. Some is still there.

It was interesting times !!

Nigel