ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Who ordered the Convertible?

Old 02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default Who ordered the Convertible?

Who ordered the convertible T-28?!?

Well, I guess it could have been worse. The canopy fell straight down into an open field. It was easy to recover.

Just thought I'd share. Any body else have similar flying "with the top down" pics?

Cheers, everybody!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0075.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	143548   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0158.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	143549   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0163.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	143550   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0165.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	143551  
Old 02-19-2011, 04:36 PM
dumo01
dumo01

I lost the T28 top hatch intact, after a repair the hatch fit a little more snug and the magnets did not get a good contact ( either that or the pilot, having experienced my flying before did an elective eject)
In any case I found the hatch, did a little work on it and has been fine since.

Also had the canopy blow off of my SU 31 in-flight. It is also a big open nose radial, interesting how much pressure will build up inside the fuse. I have since opened up some vents in the lower fuse near the tail on that one and have continued that practice.

Nice work on the recovery
Old 02-19-2011, 06:33 PM
lucas2696
NO MORE GLUE??!!!

That happened to me a couple of times with my Easystar, but I was flying on a soccer field so it wasn't hard to find. Glad you found it though.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post

Well, I guess it could have been worse. The canopy fell straight down into an open field. It was easy to recover.

Just thought I'd share. Any body else have similar flying "with the top down" pics?

Cheers, everybody!
LOL John haha awesome, you have a trojan now - you can understand my obsession!

Oh do I have pics for you... It seems to me that once you soup this bird up the first thing you need to do is re-work the canopy latch, as it is always the first thing to come loose in flight - good deal I have an able spotter like capt Easy to watch for where it falls!

last one is all pilot error, of course.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0178.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	143552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	143553  
Old 02-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

When I went to SEFF, I was flying my Ultrafly P-40 and had a similar experience. It was on the back leg and all the sudden the prop and spinner shot off the front of the plane. Once the spinner was off, it allowed air to rush into the front of the nose and blow the canopy and hatch off. At that point, I was dead stick and had to call out to the flight line that I was coming in dead stick. I got it all the way around and slid it in on the runway right in front of me. I was lucky enough to find the canopy but the spinner and prop were lost in the field. It was pretty exciting for a while but all worked out fine and she was flying again in no time.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:41 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
LOL John haha awesome, you have a trojan now - you can understand my obsession!

Oh do I have pics for you... It seems to me that once you soup this bird up the first thing you need to do is re-work the canopy latch, as it is always the first thing to come loose in flight - good deal I have an able spotter like capt Easy to watch for where it falls!

last one is all pilot error, of course.
Josh, the Tobasco Trojan will go down in history as one of my all-time favorite rc models! and the Mk II looks even better!

You, Sir are my hero!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
It was on the back leg and all the sudden the prop and spinner shot off the front of the plane. Once the spinner was off, it allowed air to rush into the front of the nose and blow the canopy and hatch off. At that point, I was dead stick and had to call out to the flight line that I was coming in dead stick.

Awesome story Tom! True deadstick landings are hard to get right. Sounds like you greased that one!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Gunnar155

Cheers, everybody!
my canopy on my PZ extra came off in flight last summer unfortunately i had forgotten my camera.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Cheers, everybody!
Search and Rescue are proud. Good to see your enjoying some flight time anyway....
Take care bud. Dick