How to fix broken wing spar on Airfoilz? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

How to fix broken wing spar on Airfoilz?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Default How to fix broken wing spar on Airfoilz?

So... I took my Airfoilz Extra 260 out today for the first time, and wow, what a great plane! It is a very nice plane and I really like it, but I got too aggressive and dorked it in and broke the wing spar and wing. I'm not sure how to fix it... any way I can think of is just not gonna be strong enough. I'm not sure if I could get the wing out and just replace that part, so I'm considering just replacing the kit completely ($60). All the hardware is fine, but I did make a couple mistakes in the build, so it might just be good to get another one.

I really enjoyed this plane for a little bit there. Crashed on my 3rd flight with it, and I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong. I stalled it somehow and was just too close to the ground to fix the issue I guess... I'm a little depressed about it actually. I really liked the way she was flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	409.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	62815   Click image for larger version

Name:	410.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	62816  
Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thats not to bad Jasmine, cut a flap on both wings, top and bottom, about 5" from the fuse towards the tip, fold the foam back, epoxy a piece of basswood from one wing to the other one about 1/4' thick and what ever the width is, allow it to extend about 4" into both wings, glue some balsa strips on top and bottom of the basswood spar, to replace the ones that broke, where its needed at, then epoxy the foam covering back on, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

should only take you about 1/2 hr to fix that, and be flying again ok maybe a little longer than that
Old 04-14-2008, 01:03 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

That sounds like a good idea. I'm still in the depression phase of my grief over this I guess

This plane hovers easy, knife-edge is good, couldn't flat spin it... flies fast or slow like an Extra should. Overall it's a very good kit - I highly recommend getting one. The crash was totally my fault. I also twisted the landing gear on my Brio today, but at least it's in one piece. I had a good day today I guess, and this crash was at the end of the 3rd flight. I do have video of the maiden when my friend sends it to me...
Old 04-14-2008, 01:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
That sounds like a good idea. I'm still in the depression phase of my grief over this I guess

This plane hovers easy, knife-edge is good, couldn't flat spin it... flies fast or slow like an Extra should. Overall it's a very good kit - I highly recommend getting one. The crash was totally my fault. I also twisted the landing gear on my Brio today, but at least it's in one piece. I had a good day today I guess, and this crash was at the end of the 3rd flight. I do have video of the maiden when my friend sends it to me...
I know how that goes Jasmine, my radio caused my new funtana to crash, it went to down elevator all by its self, I was having some glitching problems with it before, thought I had it fixed, did some taxi test, all seemed fine, took of, 100 feet down the runway it went to down elevator, nothing i could do, even giving it full up, it did not respond, Oh well, got to do some more testing, to see if its the receiver or transmitter, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-22-2008, 05:32 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

FYI, I did get it fixed, and it seems nice and solid, but there was too much wind to fly over the weekend. Kind of a bummer... today is my birthday, and I've kinda been cooped up inside all week... grrr....

I have been playing in the simulator and I figured out exactly what I did to biff it. I was going downwind and I tried to snap-turn into the wind - instant stall, totally reproducible I can make the simulated plane do it every time. It's very hard to recover from it, even on full power. I will just need to avoid making that move in the future. Gotta love that simulator for crash analysis
Old 04-22-2008, 06:12 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Happy Birthday Girl, Luv Ya Glad you got your plane Fixed :p I need to get my Big Behind back to work on my planes Take care and Stay Sweet, Chellie