Trim or not trim when using Gyro HH - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Trim or not trim when using Gyro HH

Old 10-28-2011, 01:58 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Trim or not trim when using Gyro HH

There is always debate about whether you can use Tx trim to centre a servo / correct out of trim on a Heli when Gyro is handling HH mode.

It's generally said that you should not use Trim on the Tx to correct out of trim as it can upset the gyro.....

Well ... OK ... I seem to have passed through my recent bad days and my 450 survived 3 full battery packs without any incident !

Anyway ... I decided that I would risk a test of the Gyro vs Trim question.

I dialed in a small amount of poor trim via the under boom control rod. Then knowing she would have a bias took her out for test ... I needed about half the trim travel to left to counter the out of trim condition.

Result ... she started to tail wag as though Gyro was set too high. I know it wasn't as in clear condition it was spot on ... second the 450 was unsteady ... she had a mind of her own and danced around.

I took out the error I had dialed in and put trrim back to centre ........ bang on again .. steady as a rock. No tail wag ...

So taking that weather conditions had not changed ... same spot on my drive ... 450 was same ..... only change was the tail centring ...

Interested if anyone else will give it a test as well ... see if they get similar result ?

My conclusion is that one or two clicks on trim are probably fine ... but more than that and it's time to alter the actual servop / link to correct. The trim button on Tx as really an indicator of how much adjustment is needed.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM
RCjack

Hi, i just got phoenix and there is no proportional control on elevator, I have re-calibrated loads of times with no luck any suggestions?