Standard & Large E-Heli Talk Discuss all standard and large sized electric rc helicopters in here

kill switch

Old 11-28-2005, 01:52 PM
215 chief

Default kill switch

Does any one know if I can program my futaba 8u to use one of the switches for a kill switch.
Today on my electric raptor 50 I lost throttle control and had to reach under unplug on of the lipos to kill the motor. I dont know why I lost control but I am glad I was on the ground when it happened.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:28 PM
savydad

If you lost control from the tx, how would a kill switch have prevented your scenario? If control is lost, it's lost, a switch wouldn't help anything. Disregard if your esc just glitched, but I don't think it would help any if you could program it in.

Todd
Old 01-30-2006, 02:20 AM
Tom Lambert

Thumbs up Kill switch

I added a mechanical switch to my battery positive line as an emergency kill switch. That was after my throttle servo ceased to function. I can now flip the switch with either my (not recommended) hand or with a long 6 Mill. carbon fiber tube or wood dowel.
I found it easer to use a switch instead of trying to unplug a battery connector. Especially with the motor running!
Tom Lambert
Old 01-30-2006, 01:34 PM
215 chief

Thanks for replying, I thought it was a good idea but the other reply didn't seem to agree. It would also keep the Deans conn from getting carbon build up from arching when making the connection live.
Now the real question what kind of switch and how heavy (amperage wise) did you use. How about a automotive relay. My raptor is using 2
lipo packs a 3 cell and a 4 cell in series. and a 70 amp controller.
Do I need a switch to carry all 70 amps?
Thanks
Brian
Old 01-30-2006, 02:22 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

We used to have a paddle kill switch on our e-powered sailplanes back a few years ago. We also had an automotive fuse on the negative leg of the circuit so that if case things got a bit "hairy" and the prop would hit an obstacle while spinning it would blow the fuse instead of the ESC. Fuse size used depended on motor current draw.

I still use that set up on a few of my larger sailplanes, just to be safe. See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kill-switch.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	6774  

Old 01-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Gnome
Gnome

Back when I raced 1/4 scale cars I put in a radio kill switch so I would not have a 20 pound car running wild. When you lose radio usualy the servos jam full right or left. I mounted the kill switch so full right or full left would kill the engine that way I could kill it myself or it would self kill if the servos jamed from loss of signel.