Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Electrifly or Castle ESC w built in BEC?

Old 03-19-2017, 03:13 PM
SkyDaddy

Default Electrifly or Castle ESC w built in BEC?

I am at a proverbial fork in the road while building my Phoenix Funstar. I ordered the recommended .46 Rimfire and 60amp Electrifly ESC thinking I was good to go. After mounting the motor and studying the ESC's fit and instructions I now realize I need a separate BEC to power rx. I have a Castle 10 that I can use, but since the 60amp elictrifly will not fit anywhere under cowling ( as instructions show, except the esc looks like a lite version) I am thinking of just getting a Castle 75 lite that will fit and has a built in bec.

I think I read comments from CHELLIE that Rimfire motors do not play well with other manufacturers esc's? I think my only option of using this Electrifly esc will be to mount it back in the fuselage somewhere behind wing area. Anyone have any experience with this motor/ esc issue.

Best Regards,
Walt
Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The Castle ESC should be fine, there isn't anything unusual about Rimfire motors.