Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-25-2018, 01:46 AM   #2951
WyomingOutdoors

Friends: (0)
Default MB 262 6inch Long Range Quad

Built this yesterday:

Video: Fatshark HDO DVR of flight

- My 1st attempt at building a long range quad for just chilling and flying this summer up at the lakes and camping. Still need to PID tune and it should smooth it out a bit. Should be able to get solid 9min flights with throttle management.

MB 262 6in Frame
Hyperlite 2207-1722kv HV motors
HobbyWing Xrotor AIO F4 FC, 4in1 40A ESC
Frsky L9r Reciever
Immersion 600mw vtx
Foxeer Arrow V3 Camera
Lumenier Gate Crasher 6x5x3 props
1st Flight Tattu 4S 1550mah
2nd Flight Nannotech 5S 2200mah (OLD 4yrs)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #2952
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)

This my Freewing 90mm F4B Phantom II done in the Navy VF-111 Sundowners squadron livery. The stock model comes USAF SEA Camo to resemble the F4C.

Navy was the first over the beach !

Spent a lot of time priming, painting and decaling. I have the ARF+ version which meant I added my own power system. It's a 90mm 12B Changesun with RC Lander 1620kv inrunner. 130 amp esc. Hey it's a mach 2 fighter./ bomber !

I also added the www.rcgeek.com center afterburner which is very cool. It's a cluster of led's mounted on a 3D printed holder. Have it programmed to light up at about 3/4 throttle. I painted the internal bifuricated exhaust a high gloss silver to help illuminated the AB. http://thercgeek.com/the-centerburner/

I also added 3D printed whistles and have one installed inside each exhaust outlet. I used to use whistles from a nerf ball. Had to dig them out , clean up, etc. 3D printing is a game changer for bits and pieces like these.

A buddy is printing the scale cockpit details for me. I think I may send these and the ladder to a guy who does amazing weathering and aging work.

The final mod was retrofitting the exhaust nozzles with 3D printed scale General Electric J-79 . Still weathering these.

I did a prebuild of the drag chute mod. Everything worked but I didn't get the consistency I had hoped for So, I chickened out at the last minute. The trick is the way you pack the chute. Has to be perfect every time. I was only good for about 6 out 10 tries. It would get stuck inside the tube. I never bought the really good chute that a guy makes and sells for USD $175 . Just experimented with toy rocket chutes and chutes from the LX Mig-29.

Ready to maiden if the wind will die down around here. LOL
Old 06-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #2953
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

Fantastic F4 model Hawk! Let us know how it flies.

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #2954
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10
Club: Lockyer Valley Aeromodellers can be found on Facebook.
Friends: (1)

Gotta say dahawk, that looks amazing! I really like the afterburner too. And the chute does add a nice touch if you can make it work. I have been looking at chutes recently but to get a good one they are big money.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:14 PM   #2955
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Panther ,

Here is the drag chute mod by RCjetdude: https://youtu.be/3GzbopeBA5A

Helmsman52 makes the chute and it's a masterpiece for sure. I just couldn't swing it.

Motion RC offers up stl files for 3d printed parts for free. One of them for the Phantom is the crew ladder.

Here's some more from AkumaZeto on Hobbysquawk.com. This guy blows me away !

Old 06-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #2956
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Nice Chute for sure. Brilliant for keeping the aircraft straight after touch down.
That ladder is too real!
Amazing what is available now but you need the moola to pay for it!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:29 AM   #2957
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Agree . I’m going to get a quote for detailing the 3D printed cockpit upgrade . I know with his level of skill it won’t be cheap.

I don’t have a 3D printer yet but it’s on my list of things to get. They have become ultra cheap. At least I have lots of buddies that have them.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #2958
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

I bought the DIY Print-Rite machine from Hobby King and - yes its a cheap machine ... it has no heated bed (can be fitted though) ... can be a bit temperamental at times .... but it really is a good tool. I chose it not only because it was cheap - but also because the print bed was larger than more expensive machines.
That's the real killer .... the actual work space you have.

Ally my 3D machine with my cheapo Laser cutter ............. heaven is in my shop !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-29-2018, 05:25 PM   #2959
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Some of the long-standing members may remember I had a Lanyu TW-149 'Mustang' ... why Lanyu called the BF109 a Mustang - I'll never know ... but that's whats on the box ...

That model went through hell ... first as brushed and geared ... it flew but your butt cheeks were fluttering !!
I re-vamped her with brushless and what a change ... but she took a few dives and now all i have left is a wing. The fuselage long ago went to that place where they all retire away from crap hands like mine !!

I never lost a liking for it though. Despite its awful carnival colour scheme. It could fly good when it felt like it ... and it looked the part in the air ...

This is the old one back in 2010 ..... blimey - doesn't time go by !!

What's all this leading up to ? Yes - I bought another ...

Volantex who took over sales of Lanyu skyrocketed all their prices and I was never going to pay their price for a new fuselage. While looking for a completely different model ... 50mm EDF actually ... I stumbled across an online site I had used before 'Porcupine RC' in Hong Kong.

$35.50 for the complete kit less electronics / motor. Ok - shipping is not so cheap but it is from Hong Kong !! $34.95 ... so basically for $70 I get a complete new airframe including all the control runs fitted etc. ready to drop gear into it.
I have a decent 1100kv 2820 motor ... plenty of 9gr MG servos, 30A ESC ... 1300 3S ... and also ordered a set of 35 x 22mm small model retracts to add to it ... $19 incl shipping from HK.

http://www.porcupinerc.com/Volantex-...ane_p_113.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/servoles...ount-2pcs.html

The question is now ... how to explain to Wife !! (I have ordered some nice items as surprise in the post for her to try and ease the moment !!)

and .....

Do I go scale and have wheels retracting outward and the narrow wheel base ... or cheat and have retracting inwards ?

nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 06-29-2018, 09:29 PM   #2960
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Hi Nigel
If the wings are thick enough I would have them retracting inwards.
The other thing to watch of course is that you can mount them forward enough so that it doesn't nose over every time it lands.

As for PorcupineRC, I use them all the time and their normal freight times are much better than Banggood or Hobby King. AND they are cheap. It makes it worth while spending extra on DHL Express and getting stuff in a few days instead of 6 - 8 weeks that HK and BG take now using that bl**dy NL Freight.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:52 PM   #2961
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

I’ll take a look at Porcupine again. For sheets and grins, I bought something on Alibaba the other day. Amazed at how fast they shipped. Much better than BG. Most of my planes come from Motion RC and I usually get them in 2 days 3 at the latest. And free on orders over USD 100.00
Old 06-30-2018, 05:46 AM   #2962
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Whatever works best. Banggood now have a warehouse in Australia but everything I try and buy still has to come from China.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #2963
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

mmmm I have time to decide .... but yes the wing is a bit on the thin size for the retracts. So mounting to retract outward would give me thicker part of wing.

Also ... you know what people are ... if I mount inward working ... some bright spark on the field is going to point out ME109 retracts outward !!

I'll probably be belly landing her most time ... but nice to have the wheels for when I have a runway...

I'll also 3D print up the extras like radiator / air intake etc. Having had the model before - I have a good idea of her character !!

Nigel

Old 07-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #2964
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

OK - Wife knows about my new model ... I told her !

Why ? She conned me into buying her a pair of Ear-rings that I think are daft !! cost far more than the model. So I told her ... she has those - I have my ME109 !!

Done deal.

She's now in Turkey with her pals ... so by time she gets home all will be calmed down again.

Nigel

Old 07-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #2965
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

You are funny mate...
I haven't told my wife I ordered a new Camera a few days ago either.
Hope I get to the Postie before she does. Only problem is I never know when it is going to arrive.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #2966
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

As I mentioned someplace else ... I am dragging out my oldies ... giving them a once over ... checking all working ... CoG etc. and plan to put all back in the air.

many of them - its like a new plane in your hands ... some its been so long - the re-maiden will be like a real first flight again.

I've been studying my old videos ... as some know - I video most of my flights and now they really are valuable insights into these oldies of mine.

Nigel

Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #2967
msethhunter

Newest plane is a Sig J3 1/5 scale still in the building stages. I like slapping balsa sticks together still, but kits are getting harder and harder to find.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #2968
Griff Murphey

Club: Fly by myself at Rockwood Park

Yeah, build, baby, build!!

My everyday flying is often with pre made models but construction is still at least half of the fun!
Old 07-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #2969
msethhunter

Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
Yeah, build, baby, build!!

My everyday flying is often with pre made models but construction is still at least half of the fun!
Problem is, crashing one that you spent months on cutting toothpicks hurts that much more...
Old 07-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #2970
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Tell me about it. Rebuilding my Sukhoi is costing me a mint... Not counting all the hours.
The film I wanted had to come from China as Aust Warehouse was out of stock as usual and then of course I see other things that I shouldn't buy at the same time but I do. No good having half an order...
Then I decided to change colour on my Sukhoi so I had to order more film from China.. (plus a couple of other things of course) More money....
So just the film and SIG and Balsa etc etc has cost around $80 + but all the other bits around the same + post.
I should have left it in the barn in pieces....

(But then I look at her and say.. you beauty baby)
Old 07-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #2971
Griff Murphey

Club: Fly by myself at Rockwood Park

Hey I did say most of my flying is with the prebuilt foam stuff. I do like building but most of my built ups are slow, simple park flyers which are fairly light and seem to survive “hard landings” aka semi controlled crashes.... fairly well. And the ones I am fond of don’t get flown a lot.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:43 AM   #2972
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jet-8-kit-color-b.html

Bought another glue ‘n glow . $20.00

Nice to have a little foamie in the car.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:26 AM   #2973
WyomingOutdoors

Default New Eflite Opterra 1.2M

I purchased this Eflite Opterra 1.2M PNP model from our local Hobbytown. Put my own fpv gear and uhf reciever in it with a few capacitors for filtering. This is going to be a fun plane to fly.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #2974
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

View Leadchucker's Gallery9
Club: Sussex Aeromodelers Club
Awards Showcase

60 Minute Thermal Duration  45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (2)

Phoenix WACO F5C ARF almost ready for flight

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1185.JPG (326.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1186.JPG (346.1 KB, 30 views)

AMA 7224 -- League of Silent Flight 1832-- Eastern Soaring League
National Free Flight Society-- Society of Antique Modelers
NRA Life member

Old 08-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #2975
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (30)

NICE!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions