General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Receiver antenna mounting

Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Flying Farmer

Default Receiver antenna mounting

I have a Taylorcraft 450 and have the antenna running out the back and trailing behind the plane. I would like to make a better looking installation and not have it running out the back. I would like to run it out behind the wing and attach it to the top of the rudder but it is much to long for just one run up to the tail and would probably take three runs to make it work. I have heard that you should not let the antenna cross or lap over it's self as it reduces the receiver quality. Has anyone used any other means of installing one? I appreciate any and all input. Thank You
Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

what kind of space do you have in the rear of the fuselage?

possibly take a stick of balsa, and coil loosely the antenna around it (without crossing or touching the winding) and slide it inside the rear of the fuselage all the way to the back.. maybe? then range check it.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Ben D wing

I normally run a piece of spare Sullivan snake 'outer' down the fuz and slide the aerial down inside it. This always works for me.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
1320fastback

I've seen them recessed on top of the wing near the leading edge.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Before I switched to 2.4 gig Spektrum I used to carefully wind the antenna wire around a plastic straw, evenly spaced so that it occupied the whole length of the straw, with enough extending on the receiver end to allow the straw to be placed inside the tail as far back as possible. In foam and balsa planes I always had passing range checks and never had a problem in the air.

I also used to cut my receiver antenna wires about 6" from the receiver and add a socket contact from a DB-25 connector wrapped with heat shrink. Then the antenna prepared as described above was equiped with a mating connector pin. This allowed me to swap receivers without disturbing the antenna installation. I could also have more planes, with pre-installed antennas (made with an appropriate length of small guage hook-up wire), than I had receivers since it was easy to drop a receiver into a plane by simply plugging in the servos and the (standardized) antenna lead. You do have to be careful not to unplug the antenna lead while working on the plane (swapping batteries, etc.). And I wouldn't trust this setup in a vibrating nitro plane. A side benefit of this setup was that in "hard landings " the antenna lead would unplug itself and not rip the wire out of the receiver. I never had a problem with an antenna coming unplugged in normal flight in an electric plane.