Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

TC,

My Dandy Sport wing is transparent blue. Not good when there are no clouds in the sky. Starting with a three view is a good idea for playing with color schemes!

Now back to Mountain Models!

I built a MM P-51 this spring. It's a sweet flyer, but you need to baby the landings some. (Well, no hard landings like most of mine. )

It flys fast and slow well and the roll rates are really good. I did a build thread as well for the 2010 Warbird Build contest.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55367

Steve

Old 10-08-2010, 05:24 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Steve, I'd like to build that plane but so many people like you do such a good job at the covering...i don't know if I could match it! so much detail!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Laythuye

Hi TC & Steve

Thank you for all your advices with my DS. I am able to redefine the CoG on the spar with moving the battery and a little bit of weight added to the front. Making sure all the moving surfaces are neutral, not much to trim out mechanically, what a difference to fly this plane. Thanks very much. A few click of down trim is all I need. This is my first balsa plane of this size, what a joy to built and fly, balsa fly the best for me. Fly well with 2S 2000mah also. Almost completing the spare fuselage , this time with a brushless and GT Wing, can't wait.

Laythuye
Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Laythuye,

I'm glad I could help and that your plane is flying well. The Dandy was my 1st Balsa plane and 1st aileron plane as well. I still enjoy the way it flys and it's small size is great for those quick trips to the park!

Steve
Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Laythuye

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
Laythuye,

I'm glad I could help and that your plane is flying well. The Dandy was my 1st Balsa plane and 1st aileron plane as well. I still enjoy the way it flys and it's small size is great for those quick trips to the park!

Steve
Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you, DS size allow me to fly at the parks . Will upload some low and slow fly DS video on youtube soon. Any tips for Hacker stlye clone A20-20L equavelent and GT wing?

Laythuye
Old 10-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I bought a MM, F-22 park pusher jet. I have been having an insane amount of fun with this plane

I live in a private gated community, with an over-sized cul-de-sak in front of my house.

I charge up about 4 batteries, get my lawn chair, and sit at the end of my driveway, about 60' from my front door, and fly, and fly, etc.

The F-22 is a great flyer, and will almost hover, yet go as fast as I would want to fly in this area, tough plane too, as proved by a high speed landing on a friends roof, behind a tree, not much damage, no repair needed.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

I took the MM Cub out again this morning for (3) 3S 1800 battery packs. I've been using the clipped wing, but decided to put my full wing on. I also tried a 8x4 wood Top Flite prop. With flaps down, I was getting 4-5 foot takeoffs.

Brian...I want your new super cub cowl...mine looks too home-made!

oh yeah, i also added some Dubro hubcaps

Old 10-31-2010, 03:11 AM
SKYPILEIT
~ I respect the roll ~

TC...a very sharp lookin' Cub.!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Eberwein
Mountain Models

Originally Posted by texasclouds View Post
Brian...I want your new super cub cowl...mine looks too home-made!
Yep, I did say there was something "extra" put in the box with that order you placed. Hope you like it.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Eberwein View Post
Yep, I did say there was something "extra" put in the box with that order you placed. Hope you like it.
Hopefully it is something I can get fitted for the local fun-fly Saturday...

I had a couple interested flyers at the last one I went to. It is a mainly glow club, but when they saw how gentle and smooth the MM Cub flies...they started to get curious about it! I told them if you can assemble an ARF...the kit isn't much harder to do...everything is thoughtout for you, cut, and ready to glue.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Laythuye

Laythuye,

Steve
Hi Steve, TC

I have broadcasted my "DandySports Low and Slow" on youtube channel. Waiting a calm day to maiden my Switchback Sports, hopefully everything will be alright.

Laythuye
Old 12-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

My SwitchBack #10 is finished after a LOT of rebuilding. I bought it a few years ago in "partially built" condition by quite a poor builder. Hard to believe someone can screw up a Mountain Models kit but this guy did! It would have been easier and cheaper to just throw it in the trash and buy a new kit from Brian but I love a challenge and it's finally ready to go now. I also need to get my Tyro 150 twin/flaps out for re-maiden as well. Working nights makes it hard for me to do any flying. I'm working on it though.

Joe
Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Laythuye View Post
Hi Steve, TC

I have broadcasted my "DandySports Low and Slow" on youtube channel. Waiting a calm day to maiden my Switchback Sports, hopefully everything will be alright.

Laythuye
I subscribed to you video's:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPphc8fUtyM[/media]
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM
dumo01
dumo01

TC,

My Dandy Sport wing is transparent blue. Not good when there are no clouds in the sky. Starting with a three view is a good idea for playing with color schemes!

Now back to Mountain Models!

I built a MM P-51 this spring. It's a sweet flyer, but you need to baby the landings some. (Well, no hard landings like most of mine. )

It flys fast and slow well and the roll rates are really good. I did a build thread as well for the 2010 Warbird Build contest.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55367

Steve

Steve
great looking P51, last time I looked you were the clear leader in the build thread voting and with good reason.
I see you did the retracts, and in at least one of your photos it looks like you fly from a paved field. I am doing a MM Firestorm, and am getting to the point of needing to decide fixed or retracts. I would love to do the retracts, but I fly from a grass strip, well cared for and rolled a couple times each year but still am not sure how well the retracts would hold up on the grass. Any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Dumo01,

The GWS retracts and the small wheel size on my P-51 would not do well in grass. I usually fly the P-51 off of a dirt baseball infield or the parking lot (if no one is around) at the local school.

From what I've read, the Firestorm with retracts doesn't like grass much either, but the suggested retracts are much stronger than what I used. My guess is that it's more of a tire size issue than strength of retracts issue. It may depend on your grass length and thickness. So if you know of anyone else using the same size wheel on a similar type plane you maybe OK. I've been looking for a larger plane to fly at my club's grass field and I've been thinking about the Firestorm as well. Our grass can get kind of patchy and I don't think the 2 in wheels would work well. I was thinking of using fixed gear attached to the fuselage like the ETana uses. This way I could easily play with different tire sizes until I get a pair that works for me. The Firestorm is also designed for fixed Tricycle landing gear. You could try that as well.

Please start a build thread on the Firestorm. I don't think there are any here on WattFlyer and there has been some interest from a fair number of people on this plane.

As far as the Warbird contest goes, I think offtom has a large lead. Anyone who scratch builds deserves much more credit than us kit builders anyway. These MM kits are just too easy to build!

Steve
Old 12-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Laythuye

Hi TC

Thanks , I subscribed to your videos, they are great.

Laythuye
Old 05-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Mountain Models is Moving!

Mountain Models is Moving!

I just saw a post over on RC Groups that Brian is moving.

Read the details here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1092

It actually sounds like this maybe good for Brian and Mountain Models.

At least he's now closer to me!

Best of Luck Brian!

Steve
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 AM
mararra

This thread ain't gettin no luv MM kits are always a treat
Here's my latest MM creation, in full costume.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EVA PT.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	154400   Click image for larger version

Name:	EVA Fwd low.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	512.3 KB
ID:	154401   Click image for larger version

Name:	EVA Babe 2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	154402   Click image for larger version

Name:	EVA Stbd-3.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	154403  
Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Great airplane
Old 10-31-2011, 03:24 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mararra View Post
This thread ain't gettin no luv MM kits are always a treat
Here's my latest MM creation, in full costume.
I love your EVA Sport! It looks great! I just put the sport wing back on mine (it was in Bipe mode) and had a blast on with it.

What type of covering did you use? Your orange is very opaque. I used Orange SolarFilm on my Firestorm and it's still a little transparent

Steve
Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 AM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

looks great guys!

i've been playing with helicopters and nitro planes lately...I'm going to sneak a peak at the MM website and see what's new...
Old 10-31-2011, 04:33 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Recently finished my MM J-3 Cub. Just need to get the chance to go out and maiden her. It'll be my first flight in over a year. Hope she comes home in one piece...

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub-side.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	154406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub-front.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	154407  
Old 10-31-2011, 04:38 AM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Recently finished my MM J-3 Cub. Just need to get the chance to go out and maiden her. It'll be my first flight in over a year. Hope she comes home in one piece...

Joe
Nice work on the cub! Makes me to want to bust out mine soon!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by texasclouds View Post
Nice work on the cub! Makes me to want to bust out mine soon!
It's nice and easy building for a scale kit. It turned out much nicer than I expected. Now if I could just get a chance to fly it........

Joe
Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 PM
mararra

Stevephoon, the orange is Coverite, which is very opaque, but quite heavy and hard on light balsa structure when shrunk. I had to be very careful to get most of the wrinkles out as I applied the film, so only minor shrink was needed. Even so, I kinda "shrink tortured" the ribs at the wing root, but it doesn't show too bad. The Coverite Microlite would have worked better, but I didn't have any in stock. The black is Solite, which is perfect for these light weights, but as you know almost all the colors are semi transparent. Another problem with the Coverite is it's lack of adhesion on overlaps. This is a problem that is only solved by carefully applying an etching solution on the overlapped area. The stuff I use is called PRYMOL. It's sold by the makers of Solarfilm.
Your Firestorm looks mighty good to me, great scheme.

Turbojoe, sweet lookin Cub The MM Cub was my first all balsa build, and still one of my favorites. I had a bit of trouble at first getting it to fly properly. It turned out to be a combination of warps and an improper power setup. Once I learned how to get the warps out and got it powered correctly, it flew like a Cub, stable and docile.

Quick Reply: Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15209 seconds with 15 queries