Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks

Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

"Balance when you hold it right in the middle of the wing"
Not quite sure what you mean.
It should balance level fore and aft with a finger tip under each wing close to the fuselage and directly in line with the wing joiner.
If the balance point is much more than a 1/4" further back than this you will find it hard to control.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
dfwdad

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
"Balance when you hold it right in the middle of the wing"
Not quite sure what you mean.
It should balance level fore and aft with a finger tip under each wing close to the fuselage and directly in line with the wing joiner.
If the balance point is much more than a 1/4" further back than this you will find it hard to control.
I think I have it, I went to my local hobby shop and they said I had it setup right with the weight and balance, I also had to get another 7x6 prop " broke one on my leg Ouch" and I also got a 7x3 prop. The 7x3 I thought would be slower and maybe easier to learn with.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 PM
solos

Question I am such a noob

Can someone please explain how changing the voltage of the battery in a WD 3 and 4 will affect the plane? I am brand new to all this and I want to buy some extra batteries for both of the planes. They are completely stock otherwise. If I go to a higher voltage will it wreck the plane? If not how high can I go? I want to mount a camera and extend my flight times. Basically can I go to say an 11.1v 2000mah with all other parts of the plane being stock? If not anyone know what would work?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
dfwdad

Originally Posted by solos View Post
Can someone please explain how changing the voltage of the battery in a WD 3 and 4 will affect the plane? I am brand new to all this and I want to buy some extra batteries for both of the planes. They are completely stock otherwise. If I go to a higher voltage will it wreck the plane? If not how high can I go? I want to mount a camera and extend my flight times. Basically can I go to say an 11.1v 2000mah with all other parts of the plane being stock? If not anyone know what would work?

Thanks for the help!
Going with a higher voltage will not increase your run time, it will increase your performance, if you want a longer run time and are happy with your flight speed, stay with the same voltage and increase the amps of your battery. Yes going with a higher voltage could burn out your controller and motor.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM
solos

Originally Posted by dfwdad View Post
Going with a higher voltage will not increase your run time, it will increase your performance, if you want a longer run time and are happy with your flight speed, stay with the same voltage and increase the amps of your battery. Yes going with a higher voltage could burn out your controller and motor.
Thank you, I have figured out that the mAh number dictates capacity. I would like to increase performance as well. Any one know how high I can go with all other things being stock?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 PM
solos

Default ?

I have seen several upgrades to a lipo 11.1v can this be done with the stock ESC?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 PM
dfwdad

Originally Posted by solos View Post
I have seen several upgrades to a lipo 11.1v can this be done with the stock ESC?
Well I would be careful, I know you can run a little over voltage, but I do not know how safe it would be, or how much performance you would get. My plane is the WD v2 and it came with the 11 v lipo with the brush less motor.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

If by stock you mean a brushed motor then its not the ESC that's the limiting factor but the motor.
You will get a significant performance improvement with a 3s 11.1V LiPo but the stock motor will not last very long. My motor brushes failed after 5 or 6 flights although to be fair it had flown quite a bit with the 9.6V NiMH pack.
Rather than simply replace the motor I bought a "race" brushed motor designed for 12V. Fairly easy to swap it over but then the shaft was slightly different so I could not use the stock 'push on' prop. I had to buy a prop adapter and a new prop........and so began the mods that have never really stopped since!
solos
2000mAh 11.1V LiPo is no problem (it weighs about the same as the stock 9.6 NiMH) but if you are going to lift a camera as well you are going to need full power even more so putting still more strain on a stock motor. You really need to go brushless. Provided they have sufficient cooling they can run at full power virtually indefinitely.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 PM
dfwdad

........and so began the mods that have never really stopped since!
I don't know if you can call some of your mods still a WD, there is almost none of the real plane left, but I did enjoy seeing it.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:54 AM
dfwdad

Well we have had our first flight, now have to rebuild the servo tray, lol.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

You did not say how the flight went but does "Rebuild the servo tray" mean it ended in a crash?
If so it must have stopped pretty quick. Did it pull the screws out of the body shell?
Also check the rudder & aileron servo action. In a sudden stop the inertia of the long push rods can strip the gears. Mine did.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:08 PM
dfwdad

You did not say how the flight went but does "Rebuild the servo tray" mean it ended in a crash?
If so it must have stopped pretty quick. Did it pull the screws out of the body shell?
Also check the rudder & aileron servo action. In a sudden stop the inertia of the long push rods can strip the gears. Mine did.

No the flight was good, but it was that sudden stop at the end that messed every thing up. I got disorientated and nosed it into the ground at about 30 feet. I am going to build the new tray from balsa wood, the crash cracked the tray, but is all in the name of fun.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 AM
dfwdad

Tip, to be able to put more weight in the frount of the DW V2, I was able to unscrew the tail, then side it back as far as it would go and drilled and re screwed it, I then took the plate off the top of the servo tray this move my servos back and I screwed theto the mount that the landing gear slides into. I then side the other servo mount back and screwed the other side of the servos to it. I then screwed the tray mount down to the hull of the plane. I can now hope a larger battery and a camera at the front of the plane without adding rear ballet.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:30 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

dfwdad
Whilst moving the tail and servos back to make more room for a bigger battery is a sound idea you may find you will need one just to keep the balance point where it was.
How big a battery are you thinking of and what is the weight of the camera?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:54 PM
dfwdad

dfwdad
Whilst moving the tail and servos back to make more room for a bigger battery is a sound idea you may find you will need one just to keep the balance point where it was.
How big a battery are you thinking of and what is the weight of the camera?
The battery is a 4ah battery 11.1V and the camera is a little bigger then the one you have. I have checked my balance point on the wings and it seems at about the same point. I hope this does not make this plane a bear to fly, but I think I have more then enough offset in the front to keep the balance happy without having to add ballast weight.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:04 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

4ah is big!
At close to 11oz it is twice as heavy as the 9.6V NiMH pack which represents a total weight increase of nearly 25%.
With than sort of load I would start to worry if the original wing was strong enough without additional reinforcing.
There are people who have flown reinforced WDs at well over 30oz but I do prefer to have a reserve of power rather have to use it all to fly.
What is your WD going to weigh all up?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 AM
dfwdad

4ah is big!
At close to 11oz it is twice as heavy as the 9.6V NiMH pack which represents a total weight increase of nearly 25%.
With than sort of load I would start to worry if the original wing was strong enough without additional reinforcing.
There are people who have flown reinforced WDs at well over 30oz but I do prefer to have a reserve of power rather have to use it all to fly.
What is your WD going to weigh all up?
Here is the battery I am going to use for this:

Thunder Power TP4000-3S3PN Li-Poly Battery In Stock $158.95
11.1V 4000mAh (charge as 3 cells) Prolite Series
Rating: 13C (52A) continuous, 20C (80A) burst
Dimension: 200mm x 34mm x 25mm
Weight: 270 grams
Termination: Wire & Thunder Power 4-pin tap
I was thinking of going with a larger wing and tail, but I was going to see how it flew with the current setup. I will still have the current 1.3 ah battery, but the flight time with this is only about 10 to 15 mins. I have also bent the landing gear so there is more spring during the landing. this seems to help as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:17 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

270g is 9.5oz so not quite so heavy but you are still adding quite a load and the battery costs as much a the plane!

The heaviest battery I have flown with is 220g (7.7oz) but then I was careful to arrange other weight savings so that overall it was no heavier than the stock weight (22oz).

A bigger battery will give longer duration but not in direct proportion to its size as its extra weight requires more power to fly. At some point the extra weight has more disadvantages than benefits.

It will be most interesting to hear how you get on.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
dfwdad

Well I hope it works out well, like I said in this tread earlier I crashed this plane pretty hard already.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 PM
solos

Unhappy Help! WD4 Parts

Does anyone know where to get Wing Dragon 4 parts currently? I have not been able to find them anywhere! Looking for a wing and Tail assembly...
Old 09-06-2015, 01:48 AM
Fraggi

Question Advice

Hi all,

I have theese laying around, and I was wondering how they would end up in a Wing Dragon.

Brushless motor:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/A2212...444_6,201409_4

ESC:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hobby...444_6,201409_4

Battery: (2x)
http://www.banggood.com/3S-11_1V-130...-p-938750.html

So if anyone would take the time to help, I would be so grateful.

/Fraggi

Last edited by Fraggi; 09-06-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:29 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Fraggi
Those bits will certainly do in a Wing Dragon.
You have to consider two aspects
1. How to actually mount the motor
2. How to maintain the correct centre of gravity.

A brushless motor really has to be mounted outside the fuselage. Using a motor with 'drum' mount I could use a plastic insert with threaded holes on the inside so the fuselage skin is simply 'sandwiched' in between.
Click image for larger version

Name:	MtrMtg1.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	181672
It works very well. I use a 1500kv Emax motor with a 7x6 prop and a 1500 3s.

Name:	OutrunAs.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	181673
Your motor has to have its mounting bolts inserted from inside the fuselage which would be possible but rather difficult.

A 2200kv on a 3s will turn quite fast so no more than a 7" prop (probably a 7x4) to keep the current down.

Although you are mounting the motor further back it is a lot lighter than the original 'can' type so you may find that with the much lighter 1300 3s at the front the CofG is not far out.

My Wing Dragon is still uses the original fuselage and boom but really nothing else. It has the same wing span but is quite a bit lighter with a tapered wing of just 70% of the area and a 'V' tail.

Name:	TModCmplt.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	181674
It has separate big flaps as well so can fly really slowly.

Last edited by quorneng; 06-14-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Fraggi

Thank You quorneng, I will go for it
Old 01-24-2017, 01:38 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

My Wing Dragon dtill flies fairly regularly and has been used as a test air frame for a new wing - made of Depron and cereal box cardboard and nothing else. All the flying loads are supported just by the cardboard.
Name:  MightyBox.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  102.0 KB
This cardboard is particularly thin and stiff but the size of the box limits each wing 'panel' to 10" so to match the 40" of the existing wing(s) it is built in 4 sections.
The outer with aileron.
Name:  DepronCard1.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  159.3 KB
The inner with extra skin support at the root.
Name:  DepronCard3.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  123.0 KB
The finished article alongside a similar all Depron version.
Name:  CerealWing.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  139.0 KB
No 'finishing' required the printed surface is quite smooth and reasonably waterproof. You certainly wont miss it!
It weighs nearly 50% more than the all Depron one and about the same as Depron/balsa one that has flaps but that is still 1/2 oz less than its original wing!
Flies well enough as well.

Apart from being very cheap to do this wing does not really have a practical advantage over a well designed Depron structure but an interesting exercise nevetheless.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:37 AM
velojet
Community Moderator

Default Cereal-box-wing Dragon

Smart!

Quick Reply: Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15297 seconds with 12 queries