Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Crash effects on batt

Old 09-08-2013, 08:10 PM
GaryJ

Question Crash effects on batt

Trying to fly before my time,put my trainer into a low altitude stall.Plane nose dived into the ground from about 20ft up did some structural damage that was easily fixed.After getting home put battery on charger to "top it off" and all I get on the charger are 3 blinking red lites.Could the crash really have made my battery bad?
Old 09-08-2013, 08:37 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
Trying to fly before my time,put my trainer into a low altitude stall.Plane nose dived into the ground from about 20ft up did some structural damage that was easily fixed.After getting home put battery on charger to "top it off" and all I get on the charger are 3 blinking red lites.Could the crash really have made my battery bad?
If you have access to a digital multimeter, put it to use by checking the battery power terminals, and the battery balance cables.

Generally, those balance cables have a black wire on one side, and a red wire on the other side. Check the back side of the balance connector, and locate the "Locking Pins" for each terminal. With your digital multimeter's black wire, LIGHTLY press it against the black balance connector wires locking pin. (If you press to hard, you can bend that locking pin, resulting in the pin falling out of the housing. It takes a magnifying glass and a sharp knife blade to bend those locking pins back.) Then, measure the next adjacent wire. It should be around 3.6-4.0 volts DC, depending on charge level. If its good, then move both your meter leads one notch over to the next cell and repeat.

There is really no reason not to have one of those digital multimeters now days. Harbor Freight has a useable one for under $5.00. I've got two or three of them, and for our model airplanes, they work as good as my $350 Fluke 87V meters. I feel safe using that $$$$ Fluke meter on a 440 VAC switch panel, but that is NOT the case with the Harbor Freight meter!

Take a look at how to use these meters:
Digital Multimeters
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52821
Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Use care to not short the multimeter probes to each other while checking the LiPo...
Old 09-09-2013, 12:21 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Use care to not short the multimeter probes to each other while checking the LiPo...

Good point.

A short between these balance cable leads will quickly result in overheated wires, or worse.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:07 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Its common for well secured LiPos to survive some severe crashes due to them being protected inside the aircraft, especially if its a modern (such as EPP or EPO) foam that fully encloses the pack.

If the pack is ejected or the wires are subjected to suddenly being yanked then the pack can be damaged in even a minor crash.

Its hard to predict what will happen to the battery if its not well secured inside the model. If it can slide forward on impact it may be the same as an ejection of the pack.