Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

mAh counter problem on my Imax B6 charger

Old 08-17-2020, 12:58 PM
jb48

Default mAh counter problem on my Imax B6 charger

After many years of flawless use my imax b6 shorted to dead when unnoticed input wires frayed and charger falled to floor when connected. Time came for a new charger balancer and the dual power imax b6ac was a natural choice for me. Last week, I received my brand new charger and begun charging many lipo stored batteries for the next Saturday and Sunday flying sessions at my rc club. Working on one fo my planes (all electrics), the end charge buzzer ringed on the first 2200 mAh being charged. Since I always note how many mAh were sent to the batt, I was surprised to see the mAh counter showing only 43 mAh instead of the expected 800 to 1000 mAh. I checked the freshly balance charged batt with a lipo checker and finded that it was at 100%. I charged 6 or 7 more batt (all were in lipo storage state) and same thing happened with mAh numbers much less than logically expected. But all the batt were perfectly 100% charged. On the last one, I was lucky enough to see the counter going 511, 512, 513 mAh, then Zero and beginning counting 00001, 00002 and so on.
I would like to know if any of you encountered this problem with this charger and founded what was the problem?
Old 08-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Something is wrong, my first call would be to the company I bought it from and ask for a new one.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:11 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Agree with Wildflyer ...... you do not want to be playing with calibration or other tricks before claiming replacement.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:13 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I must say though - I have seen some silly numbers out of mine and others - such that I don't trust the mA in / out anyway.

I go by the voltage and individual cell results.

There are calibration routines out there written by 'hackers' even to new FW that can be flashed to them.

I also have to admit I have never understood the real need for the PC application that monitors / controls B6 and its sisters via USB ...
Old 08-18-2020, 12:36 PM
jb48

Thanks for your replies. I have now to decide if I live with it as is or if I contact the supplier for an exchange. Anyway it will not send it back these days since I'll badly need the charger next weekend.