Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 inch Wing Span

Old 02-02-2010, 05:03 AM
rowdyjoe

Update:
Success !!! I had 3 good flights with the P-51 today and it handled beautifully. I had on really good landing ...very scale and 3 point. Of course, couldn't repeat that success ...the other two landings were off the runway. One was a bit short of the runway and landing in the grass and the other one was off the far side of the runway ...guess I was so excited I didn't get it lined up with the runway very well. The new retracts worked very well ...they bend instead of break and it was easy to straighten them out.

Very happy pilot today.

RJ
Old 02-03-2010, 03:11 AM
rowdyjoe

Failure:
I had 2 excellent flights today but, the third one resulted in a dumb-thumbs crash. It was pretty ugly however, I think I may be able to rebuild it. The fuselage is broken in half but, it broke behind the wing mount/saddle and cockpit area so I believe it can be patched back together. It tore the wing in half but, I have another intact wing from airplane no. 2.
I haven't done a thorough inspection yet because it still makes me sick to look at it. I'll take a closer look tomorrow to see if repair is within my capability.
Cause of the crash ....snapped into a spin too low to recover. It has a huge rudder and it's very effective especially if you have a dim-wit like me at the controls.

RJ
Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 AM
rowdyjoe

Update:
I have stripped the covering and repaired the wing from P51 #2 and have installed one of the retracts. I need to install the other retract and repair the fuselage then, recover everything ...lots of work left to do.
My repair work was interrupted by my indoor flyers. It's been too cold to fly outdoors lately so, I prepared my little indoor flyers (Vapor and CX2) and took them to one of our city recreation centers. It has an indoor soccer/roller hockey arena (about the size of 3 BB courts) and it is reserved for electric RC flyers every Tuesday between 8AM and 4PM. It's a great place to fly the small stuff.
I also ordered one of the new Parkzone J3 Cub micro-flyers and it came today. It's now ready for flight (batteries charged and bound to my DX6i). I'm all set for multiple hours of warm indoor fun.

RJ
Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 AM
odieyodie

Location: Lincoln, Nebraska (summer) Casa Grande AZ. (winter)

I just maidened mine this morning. It flew great with lots of power with the stock setup. The only problem was trying to land. It kept wanting to fly. I did manage to get it landed with only one of the retracts breaking loose. Minor fix.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 AM
rowdyjoe

Originally Posted by odieyodie View Post
I just maidened mine this morning. It flew great with lots of power with the stock setup. The only problem was trying to land. It kept wanting to fly. I did manage to get it landed with only one of the retracts breaking loose. Minor fix.

Congrats Odie !!!! That's great. Yep, she's a floater but, won't take hard landings without breaking the danged plastic gear housing. Hope your's is a fast fix. The metal retracts are working fine for me ....they bend but, don't break.

RJ
Old 03-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Lebus1

Odie and Rowdy:
Are you landing in a grass field? I land on dirt and have had good luck with the landing gear.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:02 PM
rowdyjoe

Originally Posted by Lebus1 View Post
Odie and Rowdy:
Are you landing in a grass field? I land on dirt and have had good luck with the landing gear.
I land on a hard surface runway and have had a few successful landings with the plastic gear housings installed. Perhaps if the LG gear pockets were reinforced they wouldn't break, but, I opted to install metal gear and beef-up the gear pockets and have had no breakages ...even when severly crashed.

RJ
Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Lebus1

Has anyone tried the E-Flite 10 - 15 sized servo integrated retracts. These have the servos integrated into the retract mechanisim. They also have a built in current over load protection circuit to eliminate battery drain if the servos don't fully extend or retract. I have installed them in my PZ P-51 BL and am waiting to flight test them. They look sturdy enough for the WM P-51 as well. On my PZ P-51 they have a nice slow extend retract cycle.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
odieyodie

I fly off of a hard packed desert runway with lots of small rocks to get in the way. Luckily no cactus though lol. My landing gear basically pulled out/broke away from the wing socket that it mounts to. The retract itself wasn't damaged so I should be able to beef up the socket and reattach.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM
rowdyjoe

Originally Posted by Lebus1 View Post
Has anyone tried the E-Flite 10 - 15 sized servo integrated retracts. These have the servos integrated into the retract mechanisim. They also have a built in current over load protection circuit to eliminate battery drain if the servos don't fully extend or retract. I have installed them in my PZ P-51 BL and am waiting to flight test them. They look sturdy enough for the WM P-51 as well. On my PZ P-51 they have a nice slow extend retract cycle.

I'm reluctant to spend 3/4 of the price of the plane on retracts so, no I won't be installing the "servoless" retracts on this bird. They look very interesting though and I've given it considerable thought but, as long as the $25 metal retracts I bought work well I'll keep them. I did install a "servo reducer" for about $10 that slows the retracts down to scale speed and it works and looks great.

RJ
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 PM
rowdyjoe

I fly off of a hard packed desert runway with lots of small rocks to get in the way. Luckily no cactus though lol. My landing gear basically pulled out/broke away from the wing socket that it mounts to. The retract itself wasn't damaged so I should be able to beef up the socket and reattach.

Be careful while working inside the wing. Those ribs are very fragile. I broke a couple just handling the wing while trying to repair other broken ribs. It helps a lot if you're not as "ham-fisted" as I am.

RJ
Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Lebus1

As I mentioned previously I fly from a packed dirt runway. Part of my pre-flight is walk the runway and pick up stones etc. I drag the runway periodically and that turns up stones and other things. I have found as you mentioned when hitting foreign objects you get ether broken equipment or more excitement on the landing than you want.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:36 PM
odieyodie

Well I beefed up the landing gear socket. Theres not much to attach to other than the wing ribs so I added some hardwood (old motor mount sticks) between the ribs.
After the next flight I did a perfect landing and when taxiing back both landing gear collapsed. I was using a Futaba S3115 Servo, which had plenty of torque, but, nylon gears. Guess what, they stripped. I have since ordered a HS62 with metal gears. I hope that takes care of it.

Oh by the way it flys great. Plenty of power with the stock motor and a 4s lipo.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Retracts

Well I beefed up the landing gear socket. Theres not much to attach to other than the wing ribs so I added some hardwood (old motor mount sticks) between the ribs.
After the next flight I did a perfect landing and when taxiing back both landing gear collapsed. I was using a Futaba S3115 Servo, which had plenty of torque, but, nylon gears. Guess what, they stripped. I have since ordered a HS62 with metal gears. I hope that takes care of it.

Oh by the way it flys great. Plenty of power with the stock motor and a 4s lipo.
Mechanical retracts have a locked position at the travel end limit up and down. In this position there is no load on the servo gears. If you don't set your down travel to reach the locked position you are going to strip servo's no matter how strong they are.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 PM
odieyodie

Hmmmm. Interesting. I know I adjusted the travel on my Spektrum DX6I, but, I am not sure about being in the locked position. Thanks for the info. It may save me another servo.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:53 AM
rowdyjoe

I'm using a 75 oz. in. micro servo from BP Hobbies (GWS 2BBMG) and it's working like a charm. No problems at all. I think I paid around $20 for it but, it's been worth it.

RJ
Old 04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Lebus1

I've been reading other forums and some folks are using two servos. Then using a sequencer to get the delay seen in the full scale version.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:24 PM
odieyodie

Hy Rowdy

Did you change to different retracts? What did you set your travel adjust to?

Odieyodie
Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM
rowdyjoe

Hy Rowdy

Did you change to different retracts? What did you set your travel adjust to?

Odieyodie

Yes, I'm using the RCLander metal "housing" retracts bought at this link ... http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=710

I removed the plastic housing around the wire legs to save weight and space. They work great.

Travel adjustment will be different for each installation. Set it so the gear locks up and down but, there is no strain on the servo. There should be a tiny amount of play in each position (UP and Down).

RJ
Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 AM
odieyodie

Hey Rowdy are those new retracts still working? I was thinking about orderig them. After I got the stock ones dialed in and locked one of them broke. Luckily nothing else was damaged.

Let me know on the retracts.
Thanks
Tommy T.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:17 AM
rowdyjoe

Odie,
Yep, they still work but, the plane isn't. It's still on the bench for repair.
I feel comfortable recommending the metal retracts. They are a LOT tougher than those provided with the kit.

RJ
Old 07-03-2010, 11:45 PM
odieyodie

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the retracts. I had the oppurtunity to vist their shop in Tucson once. It's a pretty small operation but really nice guys. Hope you can fix your P-51 otherwise send me the parts I may need them lol...

Tommy T. aka odieyodie
Old 07-04-2010, 04:31 PM
rowdyjoe

Tommy,
You're going to like those retracts ...much tougher.

In case I haven't mentioned this before .....I strongly recommend that you install a "swithcing BEC" of at least 3amps and by-pass the internal BEC installed your ESC (unless it's a switcher). The linear BECs installed in "most" ESCs these days aren't up to the task of more than 4 servos ....and sometimes not even that. The literature for the ESC may advertise that it's good up to 3amps but, linear BECs rarely deliver their rated amperage. I lost two Mustangs and a nice EDF jet due to in-flight BEC shutdown. So now, nothing I fly will leave the ground without a "switch mode/switcing" BEC.
I'm currently running the Exceed 3amp in my newer planes and it appears to be doing well ...no power "brown-outs". I'll run one of these in my Dauntless too although I wish they weren't out of the 5amp. Here's the link to the one I bought http://www.hobbypartz.com/ubec.html It should do well in your Mustang. OR ...you can go to BP Hobbies and buy the Castle 10amp for around $20 to be danged sure you won't have a problem. I have that one installed in my Mustang but, it didn't keep me from dumb-thumbing it into the ground.
Oh, don't bother checking your mailbox. I'm repairing and keeping my Mustang.

Wishing you CAVU,
RJ
Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 PM
odieyodie

I will heed your advice. I've been wondering about needing one.

Have a good Fourth
Tommy T.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:09 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Wow! I am glad you guys are enjoying your Mustangs!

I sold mine soon after I disappeared from this thread and bought a cheap chinese 57 inch EPO Foamie Mustang from an outfit in China and had been having loads of fun!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hpINBtFKHQ[/media]

Quick Reply: World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 inch Wing Span

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15251 seconds with 13 queries