How much is enough? Your opinions please - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

How much is enough? Your opinions please

Old 12-14-2008, 01:22 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Talking How much is enough? Your opinions please

Based on your own personal experience, what would you recommend to a newbie that a person's minimum yearly income be in order to enjoy this hobby?

Add any comments to your answer if you wish.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 AM
darylm44

Can't answer that because it depends on what other bills you have. I am retired so I don't have a lot of income but everything is paid for so I don't need a lot.

I would say you should be able to spend $300 to $500 to get started and have a budget of $50 - $100 per month to spend on the hobby. You won't be flying any giant scale birds but you can certainly enjoy the hobby.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

you dont need much money to be in this hobby. it all depends on what you want to spend and how well you spend it. i know that steevecooper has posted a few times that his yearly income is 10k and he's doing fine in the hobby.

i'm a born again student, AKA broke so until i finish college this second time around i plan to just fly flat foam 3d planes which should be cheap after buying the original power systems.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

hehe, I have no job.......As a statistic this past yr and a half (been outta work for most that time) I can tell ya that I would be manning the video cam only IF it weren't for my club helping folks out. We have a very loose knit group but also have lots of extra equipment to lend between members when needed!
I have maybe $20 a month to use for my hobby, max, but if I really need something to finish a project OR repair a mishap then I KNOW I can go to a few certain KEY people for help. In return, I seem to have gathered lots of hardware and props to hand out when needed at the field.

My club is very important to me, it's members are all my personal friends.

The Chino Renegades Flyer's Club

--Ray
Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Never enough.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:16 AM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

If you can afford $125 you can take part in this hobby. No need to spend more if you do not have it.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:31 AM
HoaRC

Get a $15 Guillows Kit and a bottle of glue - that's all you need to start flying
Old 12-14-2008, 04:40 AM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

With the right friends, I don't imagine you need to spend a dime. There's a guy in one of my clubs, just hangs out and enjoys the action, but he doesn't have a plane of his own. I know if I had a friend interested, I'd let him fly my stuff. I put an 'old school' trainer together for just that reason, to encourage those I know without planes to fly.
Can you give any criteria, such as;
hobby budget for-
expected spending over one year starting with nothing (trainer, radio gear, power system, second plane/same system etc)
-or-
average 1 new plane a year/quarter/month
-or -
average 1 crash per month
-or-
average 1 flight per day
Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Pappy
Fly Low and Up Side down

I started out with a 100.00 deal from a club sail and started taking home the crashed planes . Repared and changed flight packs to fly that new plane to me.Still didnt have much money in them that was a long time ago and i still do that.Now i got 30 slimers and about that many elec.When we get a new flyer at the club that wounts to fly and cant aford it i try to get them fixed up with flying stuff to get them started in the hobby.

Pappy
Old 12-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

You can spend as little or as much as you want. Most people tend to live within their means and I would hope that you intend to do that.
Budget minded folks have to prioritize when deciding how to spend "discretionary" income. If your RC addiction is strong, you'll forgo restaurants, concerts, movie theaters, and such because you'd rather have that new Hellfire Sonic Screamer. And who could blame you? Well, I suppose your wife could.
I'd say as a general rule, a "typical" modeler spends about $100 a month. But who's typical? Well, I guess I am. So there ya go.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

It's not really income, it's discretionary spend, i.e. how much left over when you've paid for the neccessities of life.

When you're young, living at home and your parents pay for all the neccessities then presents and pocket money will be plenty .

If you're married with children living in an expensive part of the world then 50,000 (of whatever your local currency is) may not be enough .

And by the time you're retired you're probably back to whatever pocket money she'll let you have and that will just have to be enough .

Steve
Old 12-15-2008, 03:51 PM
1320fastback

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
I would say you should be able to spend $300 to $500 to get started and have a budget of $50 - $100 per month to spend on the hobby.

Sounds about right to me.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
While all of these are valid points, there's other aspects to consider as well. There one guy in our group (not xactly a club) who spends about twenty bux a year on the hobby. He's been at it a very llong time, rebuilds his servos (gear sets are $4) and scratch builds all of his plaes. He collects his materials from construction dumpsters. Insulation foam for wing cores and fuses. Wall paper paste (as much as a gallon in the bottom of five gallon cans in those dumpsters) and covers with brown paper. His wings are almost as strong as glass and his models out foy most of the store bought stuff other folks fly.

When he does buy equipment he buys good quality stuff and takes care of it, always recycling the expensive bits.Of course now that he's playing with powered flight he's starting to buy batteries and ESCs but so far even his motors are recycled. Either rewound cdrom motors or broken outrunners other pilots toss out. He and I have gotten into minor tussels over who gets that burnt outrunner from the trash, it's way too easy to rewind them...

You can spend very little or a whole lot. It depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it.
RobII
Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

I spend about 300 a month it seems, but that is because I haven't had a car payment in years.

But it is irrelevant because I work for Citigroup and I am now awash with billions of your tax dollars muahahahahaha
Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
I spend about 300 a month it seems, but that is because I haven't had a car payment in years.

But it is irrelevant because I work for Citigroup and I am now awash with billions of your tax dollars muahahahahaha
Cool! Can I have a loan!?

I am fortunate to have my AF Retirement check come in every month as well as my current full time job so I have a bit of disposable income. I put most of it into my truck and my 5th wheel camper nowadays though.

I spend sporadically, sometime a couple hundred a month, other times none at all, and months like SEFF month I just don't bother to count how much i spend!
Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM
eflight-ray

I'm rambling again, especially when people sartt talking about what they spend, comes from being an 'oldie modeler', i.e. with a little experience.

Gone are the days when a youngster would start with a chuck glider or a rubber powered kit. Learn about model aircraft building, covering, and repairing, learn about how to trim a free flight model to fly well.
And still get a lot of fun from the simple side of model aircraft.

Now it's 'what RTF or ARTF shall I buy', often crashing it because the 'how and why' a model flies is just too much trouble to bother with.

I know that doesn't hold true for all newbies, perhaps only a minority, but I do sometimes wonder if it may still hold true for some of the experienced fliers ?

To me the 'hobby' is about model aircraft, radio control is just an added bonus, (it also saves a long walk, following a free flight model )

It's difficult I suppose to get a model car that actually needs parts cutting out and gluing together, same for model helicopters. Model aircraft and model boats are probably the only chance to scratch build something from a pile of wood, foam, plastic, etc, and learn some skills.

Could it be why some fliers have so many models, they are bought ready built, fly, and become boring, there is no feeling of achievement, so more and more are bought.

Although the question was about what you spend, was the money well spent ?.

There, I'll shut up.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Default YUP

Originally Posted by eflight-ray View Post
I'm rambling again, especially when people sartt talking about what they spend, comes from being an 'oldie modeler', i.e. with a little experience.

Gone are the days when a youngster would start with a chuck glider or a rubber powered kit. Learn about model aircraft building, covering, and repairing, learn about how to trim a free flight model to fly well.
And still get a lot of fun from the simple side of model aircraft.

Now it's 'what RTF or ARTF shall I buy', often crashing it because the 'how and why' a model flies is just too much trouble to bother with.

I know that doesn't hold true for all newbies, perhaps only a minority, but I do sometimes wonder if it may still hold true for some of the experienced fliers ?

To me the 'hobby' is about model aircraft, radio control is just an added bonus, (it also saves a long walk, following a free flight model )

It's difficult I suppose to get a model car that actually needs parts cutting out and gluing together, same for model helicopters. Model aircraft and model boats are probably the only chance to scratch build something from a pile of wood, foam, plastic, etc, and learn some skills.

Could it be why some fliers have so many models, they are bought ready built, fly, and become boring, there is no feeling of achievement, so more and more are bought.

Although the question was about what you spend, was the money well spent ?.

There, I'll shut up.
Absolutely bang on, Ray!
The statements highlighted above are the exact reason I like this hobby so much. As a dyed-in-the-foam scratchbuilder, I have learned so much in the past year about airframes and aerodynamics that I would've never known had I not been ready to make my own planes (lack of $$ here again.....blue foam is cheap, dollar board even cheaper!! hehe).
I have always been the first one in my neighborhood to run outside when I here a radial engine OR an Allison or Merlin inline passing over (Chino airport has quite a few working/flying warbirds they exercise from time to time) kinda funny seening a 42yr old man knocking tables and chairs over just to see a Mitchell or Texan fly over! But that's me, that's what this hobby represents to me. Enthusiasm for the basics.

--Ray (in Chino)
Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Ray and I are in the same boat ' Underemployed" but we fly what we can and spend as little as possible.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:46 PM
birdDog
Charging....

ABSOLUTELY! There is nothing more rewarding than a maiden flight of a plane you built from scratch or "box of sticks" (exception being, catching a trout on a fly you tied!)
AMEN!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Moxus
Gremlin

im a student, i have no additional job as my study alone is 12 hrs a day, the schoolarship is less than minimum pay for retired people, and also less that some jobless peoples payout.
i still found economic space (and space in my tiny apartment for a 2 by 2 meters composite extra 300, my pride and joy. and i definetly enjoy this hobby. and the other, less spacious birds i have
it have to be said that i had a very well paid job at the time i bought the extra, but it still needs maintenance, space and quite a lot of equippment (transport, for example. just having a car to transport this baby is a considerable cost).
but still, i havent sold the extra and i have no plan (or need) for doing so either.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:15 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Talking

Originally Posted by eflight-ray View Post
Obviously you haven't read my post in Chellies RC'ers anonymous thread.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...93&#post374293

I, an inexperienced 14 year old "aeronautical engineer", had folded a paper airplane from a single piece of notebook paper and it caught a thermal in the school yard. And I was forced to watch, helpless, as it disappeared into the smoggy blue-grey Southern California skies never to be seen again!