My first electric flight, today! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

My first electric flight, today!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:20 PM
HugoW

Default My first electric flight, today!

Well, don't know where to post this, hope it's correct to do so here; I flew my first electric flight today! I totalled my 4cc Telemaster (1.400mm span, 1,7kg) a few weeks ago, and converted it to electric power during the rebuild. It now weighs 1,5kg. It flew like a dream, plenty of power (I have it at High Timing setting, think I'll try Middle tomorrow).

First battery: Three short flights.
Second battery: Two longer flights, then the ESC seriously cut power and I didn't make it all the way to the runway. Smooth toughdown in the tall grass, no problem.
Third battery: One decent flight, second very short, and a small crash upon landing. I broke off the landing gear on our bumpy field. I usually fit that with nylon bolts, but I was out of those so I used steel ones... Fuse cracked. Nothing serious, though, it's already fixed, glue is drying. Batteries are on the charger, try again tomorrow!

Some club members made fun of the electric drive (I aparently am the first electric (non-foamy) flyer in the club), but they appriciated the performance. And while they had some problems firing up their motors in the near freezing temperatures, I was flying around!

Hugo
Old 12-06-2008, 08:25 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Hugo,

Congrats on the mostly successful flights! And way to go, showing those slimers what ELECTRIC flying is like!
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Congrats Hugo! That's the way to show them how it's done!
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Congrats Hugo! That's the way to show them how it's done!
"Them"? Uh, Bill, aren't YOU one of THEM now?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:34 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
"Them"? Uh, Bill, aren't YOU one of THEM now?
I have no idea what you are talking about Kev
Old 12-06-2008, 09:06 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Congrats HugoW , keep the lipos in your pocket, and they will stay nice and warm, lipos dont like cold weather Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 12-06-2008, 09:14 PM
HugoW

Yep, I keep them in the inside pocket of my coat. That's a good thing, too, I walked from the car to the field with a plane and transmitter. Batteries and Watt's Up in my pocket, and a screwdriver to mount the wing bolts. I used to go back to the car to collect the fuel tank with pump, and my starterbox that wieghs a ton. No more...

Hugo
Old 12-06-2008, 09:16 PM
HugoW

Oh, BTW, I had 403W in a static test, but during flight (and I did go full throttle) I only got a max of 350. Is that normal?

Hugo
Old 12-07-2008, 01:50 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
Oh, BTW, I had 403W in a static test, but during flight (and I did go full throttle) I only got a max of 350. Is that normal?

Hugo
Yes, Hugo, that is normal. The prop is not moving forward through the air when you do a static test, so it draws a little more current than when flying. We say it "unloads" in flight, and your experience of a bit more than 10% unloading is about right for most cases.

Good luck with future flights, it sounds like you're doing well, and having fun.

Brad.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
HugoW

Well, 7 more flighs today, no crashes or problems, I'm happy. I only had 1.5 hours left before dark, usually that means I'm not going out anymore. This time, I was on the field and into the air in only 15 minutes after I returned home from shopping with the wife. No hassle with fuel, starting, adjusting, etc. I think I'll be setting the timer for a full flight at about 10 minutes. Now where's the manual...

Thanks for the info about the in-flight and static Watts. Learning all the time!

Well, packs are on the charger again, hope the weather is as good next weekend. Until then, I go to work in the dark, and return after dark as well.

Hugo
Old 12-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Pappy
Fly Low and Up Side down

Way to go Hugo . I got about 15 slimmers that's not been out of the smoke house in 3 years sence i went elec.I love the way i just load my pockets and step out side and fly without driving 20 miles with a truck load of stuff

Pappy
Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 AM
HugoW

Well, got in some more flight time, yesterday. I tuned back the setting on the ESC to middle timing, I might even go back to low. I can still take of now at half throttle, and changing the setting gave me a lot more flight time. I think, if I push it, I can get 20 minutes out of the 2500mAh packs. Goodie!

Cheers,

Hugo