Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Best first plane?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 PM
guthook

Default Best first plane?

I am sure you guys have probably replied to a similar thread at least 15 times today but I have to ask, What is a good beginner plane? I am thinking about an Art Tech Wing Tiger but have heard many people suggest HobbyZones super cub.

Any suggestions for a noob?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:12 PM
fishingdan

Anything that flies slow and stable is great for starting out in rc. You really can't beat the hobbyzone super cub (and maybe the mini super cub). It is a great flyer for the rookie, but the other big advantage is that parts are readily available at hobby shops and online.

The multiplex easystar is just as popular and probably less prone to damage from typical beginner collisions upon landing (intentional or not....).

The foam is easy to repair in either plane. The super cub's upfront engine/cowl are prone to some damage, but inexpensive to repair/replace.

These two are commonly referenced because they having well established proven track records.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:14 PM
stanlazi

Default I have had them all

Hi,
I have had them all and the Super Cub is the winner by far.
It gets you ready for bigger planes too. You can get parts and even a replacement plane if needed.
SL
Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 PM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

+1 to both super cub and easy star.

I don't know much about the art tech wing tiger personally, but a quick search showed that it is 4 ch--- not usually the best choice for a first plane if you have absolutely no experience.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

definitely the easystar. I can take any hard landing, and you can just glue up the foam. so easy to repair too. You can do lots of mods to it later on like me. cameras, ailerons, floats, shortening it, p-38 style easystar, brushless+, lipos, drop doors. EVERYTHING! http://www.rcflights.co.uk/EasystarEquip.htm
Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Welcome to WattFlyer Guthook!

More people than not have been successful with the Super Cub.

It is an all in one box, ready to fly out the door. It's anti crash technology (ACT) is most helpful for the first few flights, then once you are comfortable you can turn that off and progress with your skills.

You can't go wrong with it. Best "bang for the buck" for a beginner that you can get.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Hi guthook,whatever you go with its best if you can find someone experienced to fly with.I taught myself but by the time I figured it out I had ruined 3 motors & too many propellers to remember.Fortunately foam airplanes ca be glued back together
Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM
WingingIt74

My vote is for a Slo-V, then step up to a Cub.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 PM
guthook

Wow, thanks guys. As it is still cold and snowy here I was not planning to do anything for a couple of months, but this definitely gives me lots of good ideas. I can spend some more time browsing WattFlyer. Nice to see there is such a wealth of info (based on experience) available.

Thanks again
Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

All the above and a SLOW STICK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssO6uCFPxHw
Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 AM
dmarko

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
All the above and a SLOW STICK

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssO6uCFPxHw[/media]

Ditto..

But after first 10 flights, I suggest cutting out "ailerons" on the stock wing and add 2 servos for ailerons.

GWS SlowStick stock is rudder only. I found it better to learn with ailerons from the get-go.

great first plane..virtually indestructable.

Dave in Naples
Old 02-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Devo

I have to cast my vote for the Super Cub, great starter plane, very forgiving and even looks like a real plane!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:59 AM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

they're all good! buy 'em all!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:17 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Yep they are all great, hi hi...

My experiences went as follows,

Super Cub made it, very nice trainer and takes loads of abuse and keeps flying, later went to Night Flights with amazing fella, the winner...

Parkzone Trojan, later for ailerons this one is near trainer behavior, give it max stars..

Stange ship Thunderbat from Flyforfun took me to the speed barrier, fast but amazing jet pusher...

Performance however the Parkzone Radian is out of the ball park, brushless motor perhaps keeps it just above the raw beginner but it glides forever, my best RTF plane todate, needs loads of room especially on maiden flights with its fantastic long glide..

Easy Star is a beauty and loved mine but it won't come close to the Radian by a long shot, but more predictable handling for the beginner and a wonderful choice to start, its great....

My current learning is ducted fans, am failing at the moment as many of these are extremely underpowered and need airspeed to fly at the start, horrible time with these as learning on my own, Thunderbat had oodles of thrust and made it immediately for me, dang thing even has an additional smaller trainer battery putting it just above stall speed giving you a chance to get use to its flying, IT WORKED !!!, Thunderbat is top on the speed game for me..will keep you posted when I find another that actually works, sure I'll find more eventually...

Good luck, only the BEST ..<>.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Bill Linske

As stated elsewhere, I'm a fan of Multiplex and their products. The EasyStar is a great beginner airplane and survives well in a crash. It's easy to repair with CA glue. I've advanced to the MiniMag and am building a Mentor. Both airleron airplanes, ie. three axis. All of the guys above are very experienced and know what they are talking about. I just have my own preferrences as do all.

Last edited by Bill Linske; 02-18-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:48 PM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default welcome Guthook

Hi Guthook , just joined myself only a few days back, everyone here is friendly with loads of good advice. You can read my bumbling start in the beginners section on what NOT to do. I learned to fly on a SBRC "Komet" about 5 montths ago entirely on my own; nosed in, cartwheeled, hit trees and fences, and just picked it up and re-launched it I would have been through about 20 planes by now, but it it still looks and flies like it did when I started. What ever you choose have fun and good luck
Old 02-18-2009, 01:03 AM
dmarko

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
Hi Guthook , just joined myself only a few days back, everyone here is friendly with loads of good advice. You can read my bumbling start in the beginners section on what NOT to do. I learned to fly on a SBRC "Komet" about 5 montths ago entirely on my own; nosed in, cartwheeled, hit trees and fences, and just picked it up and re-launched it I would have been through about 20 planes by now, but it it still looks and flies like it did when I started. What ever you choose have fun and good luck
Pattern14.

Welcome aboard.
Amazing folks here.
I have had responses to very dire questions answered within 30 minutes of posting on Watt Flyer (Chellie, Tushev, firemanbill, Liuetant Log, ministeve2003, steve (BUB), and so many others

Welcome,....
And look forward to your photos and videos.

Dave in Naples Florida
Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

Okay my two cents worth on this topic.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=318

Great flying plane, can take wind, easy and fun to build helping you learn how an RC plane really works inside. You can also personalize it so it doesn't look like every other super cub on the field. Once you get done with the basics on the three channel, slap on your second wing and presto.......no mods to the Super cub to contend with when you switch to ailerons.

Another plus is you pick your own radio which can be used with future models.

Just another opinion.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 PM
KrunkSplein

I personally began with the supercub, and it was fantastic. Like most foamies, you can't fly it in any real wind, but it is a fantastic ready-to-fly beginner's plane. With a few pieces of high-quality masking tape, the wings and fuselage can take a ton of abuse, but even if the darn thing explodes, it's really cheap to repair.

The only problem I had with it is that I live in a major urban area, and the stock frequency for the Cub has a fair amount of interference. I actually wound up upgrading everything but the engine in the 'cub, and it flies great to this day.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 AM
getfuzzy

Many good suggestions here, and I have to say I agree with the Multiplex fans. Elapor airplanes make great training planes because of there durability. The Easy Star is a great little 3 ch. plane. If you have a bit of help from an experienced flier, the Multiplex Easy Glider could be a good choice for a first 4 ch. plane.

Also I think hand launch gliders can make very good beginner airplanes. They allow new pilots to develop a feel for flight, and they can really help build confidence. Generally they are lightweight and compact allowing them to be flown in many places you could not fly powered models.

Just another opinion. There are lots of great beginner models out nowadays!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 AM
HX3D014

have you ever flown before ?

They aren't easy. If you have a Friend who get you a little buddy time then Take the opportunity.

If you are just after a Park flyer. then it may serve you well to bring any friends with experience.

Have you had any Sim time?
this is an extra measure to Quick track you to Success, and can hold you over while you do more research on what you want.

Bryce.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

GWS Formosa
Old 02-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Scuba 1

My first was Hobbyzones Super Cub. Very forgiving plane to fly.Web site Hobbyzone. Soup to nuts, $159 to your door. Ask for Dan or Dave, I think they even give you a spare battery.
Good Luck,
Remember Altitude is your friend
Old 02-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Hobby Zone Super Cub, GWS Slow Stick, or Multiplex EasyStar
Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 PM
htomnlinda

For a first time electric go for the Slow Stick. It gives you plenty of time to make corrections and is almost crash proof.
Tom

Quick Reply: Best first plane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16706 seconds with 14 queries