ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

BP CD Rom - What to do with it?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Default BP CD Rom - What to do with it?

I've been trying unsuccessfully to shrink my airfleet. Every time I sell off something, I see a good deal and wind up buying something else. This time, I picked up a BP CD rom outrunner(something like 1000kv) with BP 15a esc for $20 at the WRAM show. How could I refuse that?

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do with it now. I have a perfectly good GP Hellcat wing(the only thing that survived the crash:o), so I could pick up a new fuselage and have a Hellcat, or...
...give me some suggestions, folks. I just want something to buzz around the park on my lunch break, cheaply at that, preferably foam.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Aero Ace Ace

Most of the smaller GWS warbirds will go pretty well with that motor. I have the 1400kv BP-21 in a GWS P-51.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by buzzbomber View Post
I've been trying unsuccessfully to shrink my airfleet. Every time I sell off something, I see a good deal and wind up buying something else. This time, I picked up a BP CD rom outrunner(something like 1000kv) with BP 15a esc for $20 at the WRAM show. How could I refuse that?

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do with it now. I have a perfectly good GP Hellcat wing(the only thing that survived the crash:o), so I could pick up a new fuselage and have a Hellcat, or...
...give me some suggestions, folks. I just want something to buzz around the park on my lunch break, cheaply at that, preferably foam.
Shame on you for buying something you don't need! Just think of the poor guy that came up 5 minutes later needing that exact thing to get his disabled plane back in the air.
Now that poor guy is sitting at home staring at a plane he can't fly because he couldn't find that much needed motor/ESC combo.

Now... Aren't you ashamed of yourself for buying something you didn't need in the first place?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Let me get this straight. First you tell us you're ashamed because everytime you sell something you end up buying something else, now you want us to tell you what to buy because you bought something
Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 AM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Hey, I never said I was ashamed, just that I've been unsuccessful in shrinking the fleet.
I should be asking what else to sell instead?

AAA, I was thinking that the GWS P-51 might be a nice fit for it. I know my father had one of these motors on his Zero, and it flew great until the ESC caught fire in flight and did its best kamikaze impression......already had the spitfire, so the mustang might be a nice successor.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

We here would be more then happy to help you shrink your fleet. Post what you have and we'll all be more then happy to take them away from you.

Fixes problem and will allow you to go out and buy more.

Ok, maybe not. Anyhow, at around 1000 kv, will power the GWS birds with ease. Even spin a scale looking multi blade prop Think 3 or even 4 blade. I run a similar TP motor, kv wise in my GWS Corsair, heck I've used the same motors in the EFlite jug, H/L B25, some of my P38's and more.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:05 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Thx for the input, GG. Gettin' a little scratchy here waiting for the flying weather to return. I think the lack of flying convinced me it was a good idea to start selling off gear... I think I'm over it now that I have a manageable 9 planes and 1 heli.

If I don't put the F6F wing onto a new fuse, I think I'm leaning toward a GWS P-51 or Corsair.

I was also pondering a Formosa, but I don't know if this motor would put out enough juice to give good vertical climbs......I can deal with "scale" power on a warbird, but I like lots of reserve on my aerobats.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:19 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Whoops, I goofed, guys. I just looked at the motor I got and it's not 1000kv, it's 1200kv. So, it'll spin a little smaller prop a little faster. I guess that might be a good thing. FWIW, it lists 18oz thrust on an 8x4HD @ 11.1V. I think this will be more than enough for the GWS birds...