General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

nitroplanes ARF 63" Predator + LHS parts recommendation

Old 10-22-2008, 01:00 AM
feedback10

Default nitroplanes ARF 63" Predator + LHS parts recommendation

So I jumped into ARF by buying a 63" Predator kit. I was beginning to think it was over my skill level for building (since I've only really bought RTF or PNP planes).
I went to the LHS for help and came home with the following parts:

Eflite 400 920kv brushless outrunner
Eflite 20A ESC
8x6 prop
4 HS-55 micro servos
2200mah lipo + charger

How does this setup look for this plane? Reading the forums, the Predator kit should have about a 200w motor and this one is rated 140w. I'm thinking I should return the motor and go up the 480 (rated 250w) and 30A ESC.
Thoughts?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 AM
feedback10

...Or maybe I should put the Park 400 in my HZ Super Cub, and buy a different motor/esc for the Predator....
Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Predator Power?

Hello Feedback10,
I checked the Nitroplanes site and they list the RTF weight as 520 grams, about 18 ounces. http://www.nitroplanes.com/4eluavrqprra.html
But the model seems to be more like a powered glider, long thin wing, fairly streamlined. So I'm guessing 200 watts should be plenty, maybe even a bit much. They also compare their motor to a Hacker 20-20L, which is a pretty strong "400". So, I'd "guesstimate" somewhere between the 400 and the 480, maybe this motor, @ 175 Watts;
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1400
And they recommend the 20A ESC, although for safety's sake I'd be inclined to move up to a 25A.
This is just based on the specs, if someone has real flight experience with the model, it will be more accurate.
Good Luck!
Ron
Old 10-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

feedback,
I've had both the 63 and the bigger one from NitroPlanes. I flew them on a TowerPro 2410-9y motor.

As Ron said this is more a glider then anything. It's build to loiter around in the sky.

Couple of tips. Watch your prop size, being the prop is in the rear, if your take off angle is too great you're going to hit the prop. I added a skid to the central fin to limit the angle, and on mine I used a four bladed prop.

Cooling is a must, the esc is normally buried in the tail. I opened up the fake motor cowl, and left space around the real motor mount to let air flow over the esc.

Oh and a biggie. These do not like acrobatic flights. Loops tend to snap the big wings off right at the fuselage. Like I said it's just supposed to get up in the air and fly like a vulture. Makes a great camera plane.