Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thunder Tiger 'Velocity' maiden flight

Old 08-22-2005, 05:14 PM
RickAvery

Default Thunder Tiger 'Velocity' maiden flight

I got the Thunder Tiger ‘Velocity’ together this weekend and gave her the maiden flight. Well, two bad throws and then the maiden flight. I found the recesses for your fingers which are molded into the bottom of the wing to aide in launching were a bit, well, different to use. I had a hard time getting her to come off of my fingers in a level or slightly up attitude. I’m throwing dead motor, then throttling up, as I would throw up one of my wings. I have visions of my fingers looking like they went through a vegematic throwing with the motor started. This is probably unlikely as the motor sits up quite a bit and the prop does not extend below the bottom of the fuselage. The first time I threw her, she went straight up, straight down!! Minimal damage, winglets yanked off going into the brush. Quick repair and back for round 2. Second throw trying to make an effort to NOT throw her upwards, a little better and flatter but by the time she recovered from the stall, a 4’ high bush reached out and grabbed her in. Oh well, fix the winglets again and curse over the dents in the leading edge. LOL!! Back for round 3. I had been giving her a healthy throw & decided to lighten up a bit. This worked, but even with a concentrated effort to throw her flat, using the finger holds, she was still heading up!! I do not have the technique down yet. Once in the air, she accelerated surprisingly fast away from me at ¾ throttle. She gets very small very quickly but flies quite stable. Big wide 90 deg knife edge turns looked awesome! She would slow down fairly well and was still stable although I did over shoot the runway a bit on my first landing. Maybe I’ll try a motor ON launch next time. Here’s my set-up; mega 16-15-3, CC 35amp ESC, electron 6 Rx, 2 – HS-55 servos, Kokam 3cell 2000mah 15c LiPo. Quick full throttle applications had the battery voltage plunging below 9v, and the LVC cutting the motor off. On the bench she would pull ~22-23amps, @ 200watts if I throttled up gradually, but the voltage was well into the 9s and going down. If I stabbed the throttle, it instantly hit the LVC and quit. The battery, although only a year old has been liberally used in a twin motor system which really draws them down, so its original 30 amp continuous rating is probably no longer valid. After a 5min flight of ½ to ¾ throttle, the battery was luke warm and still sporting over 11vdc. I think a 3s2p or a larger 3s1p battery set up will be in order. All in all, I think once I get the launch technique figured out, she’ll be a fun, fast, edge of your seat flyer.
Rick
Old 08-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Looks like a cool wing, how much are they?

CTD
Old 08-22-2005, 06:22 PM
RickAvery

I bought it a few months back, but I think it was around $50.00 to 60.00. Comes with a speed 400 motor and no other electronics. Everything else is there. Nice package.
Rick