RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Adding a momentary switch to Spektrum Tx's

Old 10-24-2015, 03:11 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Default Adding a momentary switch to Spektrum Tx's

Having just picked up a Spirit Pro heli FBL controller i wanted to set a spring loaded a.k.a. 'momentary' switch to activate rescue on my DX18. This type of switch would be good also for the likes of 'SAFE' receivers that have a 'rescue function for airplanes. The only momentary 'switch' that the DX18 (and other standard Spektrum Tx's) has is in fact a button. i.e. the trailer/bind button. Unfortunately that button is not in a good place to reach in an emergency. The last thing you want to be doing is fumbling about trying to find a button as your plane/heli is crashing!.

Ideally for the way I hold the Tx 'Switch A' (the top left, rear, long handled switch) would be the one to use, but as standard that switch isn't spring loaded, so not ideal for rescue function as it could be inadvertently knocked and left in the 'Rescue' position.

I've seen a few pictures of modifications people have done with a bit of fuel tubing to make 'switch A' spring back, but that seems a bit crude/ugly/unreliable to me. So I located a Futaba momentary toggle switch that is a perfect match. The Futaba part number is 3M94A00907.I got mine from eBay, here: Futaba 3M94A00907 Toggle Switch SW Long Mom | eBay

Obviously you do need to open up the case and solder on the new switch, but that's not a big deal. You could if you wanted use a JST plug or similar to allow the switches to be swapped in the future without further soldering, but i didnt bother, it's only a fifteen minute job to swap them anyway. The switch is 100% identical in appearance to the standard one.

This was on the DX18 but any of the latest generation Spektrum transmitters should be the same, and probably most of the older ones too.

Here's a video of the new switch in operation:

Hope this might help others with the same issue.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:31 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Just a question ... does the Tx have a Trainer Toggle switch ? Many radios these days can assign that to various functions if Trainer is not needed... ?

Nigel
Old 10-24-2015, 04:19 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Just a question ... does the Tx have a Trainer Toggle switch ? Many radios these days can assign that to various functions if Trainer is not needed... ?

Nigel

Yes, that's the trainer/bind button i mentioned. But it's located inboard away from where your fingers naturally rest and not easy to reach in an emergency. You can see the button in the video just to the right of the switch I'm operating.

I can assign any switch to any function but all the other switches are 'stay put' type, rather than the momentary type, so not ideal for the purpose.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:35 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... as a NON-user of Spekie gear ... I was unaware of it being placed so.

All my radios and I have 7 on the bench have the trainer switch out far right or left on top so easy to reach and still have stick control.

Nigel
Old 10-24-2015, 06:29 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

If the trainer button was placed in a more accessible position then it would probably do the job. Though to be fair not every switch and button can be places ideally for easy access in an emergency, there just isn't room. Of course it's less of an issue with Tx's with less channels as they don't need so many switches. The trainer button is probably the least used switch/button on a typical Tx, so I understand why it got relegated to the location it's in.

I think the long toggle switch is easier to hit in a panic than a button anyway, but i guess that's subjective.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:49 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Th my old JR Competition radio from the 80's .... it was THE Rolls Royce of radio then ...

Took me ages to get used to finding my way round the bits and bobs on it !!

Nigel
Old 10-24-2015, 08:10 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

We used to think nothing of changing out a switch or even drilling a hole and relocating one.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:18 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Agreed, it's really no big deal. Figuring out where the hidden screws were to remove the rear case cover was the hardest part (FWIW four are under the rubber grips and two under the antenna cover)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:54 PM
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Lots of guys swap A and I switches, especially DLG pilots.

Also, the CLEAR, BACK, and ROLLER switches can be momentary channel inputs as well. Just be aware of that. They're near the end of the switch list, but you can't select them using the "wiggle" mode. You have to do it manually.

Andy
Old 10-29-2015, 06:00 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Andy,
Good to know about the programming buttons also acting as channel inputs, thanks for flagging it up.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:07 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Agreed, it's really no big deal. Figuring out where the hidden screws were to remove the rear case cover was the hardest part (FWIW four are under the rubber grips and two under the antenna cover)
FYI next time someone wants to pull the back of something like the Spectrum transmitter, either Google it or look in YouTube. With my DX9, I found full video in YouTube!