Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Should Start a thread on the Eflight DHC-2 Beaver..?

Old 05-23-2008, 01:57 PM
nascarwings

Default new beaver

pic of beaver #2....hope its in the air tonightClick image for larger version

Name:	2008_0523mikesbeaver0003.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	66864
Old 05-23-2008, 04:54 PM
navy atc

Default Wow

Dang Nascar, I thought my Beav mods were good. Yours make it pale in comparison.,How did you make the strut set up on Beav #1. I cant see the wire supports at all. No plastic mounts nothing..Im in awe. How'd ya do it??
I vote you "Best of show"
Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

I think I like this Beaver, but dang, the 32 setup starts getting pricey with the E-Flite setup and batteries......

I'm enjoying the discussion, though, thanks folks!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 PM
nascarwings

Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_0523mikesbeaver0029.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	66880Used the beaver float mounts navy...i drilled holes in the side of the floats and placed the float mounts in the hole. then i covered the wire with ply...and sanded...and sanded...lol...i did this with these floats before on one of my j 3's cubs..(rest in piece..lol)....beaver #2 we used the eflight mounts for now my fingers are still sore from sanding...lol....just took beaver #2...for a float test....be in the air in couple of hours...smile
Old 05-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Charley
Charley

Default Float Dimensions

Originally Posted by Son of Paleface View Post
Could someone please tell me the float dimensions ie , how long and how far from the front is the step and if poss , the weight Thanks
Floats are ~27 1/2" long, step is ~14 1/2" back. I never did weigh them but they seem heavy as these things go. Lots of fiberglass in them.

CR
Old 05-26-2008, 02:20 AM
navy atc

Originally Posted by nascarwings View Post
Attachment 66880Used the beaver float mounts navy...i drilled holes in the side of the floats and placed the float mounts in the hole. then i covered the wire with ply...and sanded...and sanded...lol...i did this with these floats before on one of my j 3's cubs..(rest in piece..lol)....beaver #2 we used the eflight mounts for now my fingers are still sore from sanding...lol....just took beaver #2...for a float test....be in the air in couple of hours...smile
Thanks Nascar. Hows she do as far as landing hard?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:45 AM
nascarwings

good the float mounts are stronger when done this way not sure why e flite does not mount them like this....inside the float were you drill the hole is a block of wood...
Old 05-26-2008, 02:24 PM
navy atc

Default float mod

Im still confused.No surprise there.
Can you post a close up pic of where they join into the float.Ive seen the inside of the float, so I know of the wood blocks..
Your mod is too cool.Thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 04:45 PM
nascarwings

im making up a new set this week as soon as i pick them up....crashed buth beavers this weekend...this plane has a few bad flying habbits first is on a low level pass we found, on right pull ups it will nose down and not a good thing when your 5 feet off the water..lol....bever #1 crash...so took it cool on beaver #2 for a bit...smile. then a low level right turn..(stick to the right) plane about 30 feet up nose dive stright in seems to be only doing it on right hand turns...so we must have screwed some thing up...not to sure what...the guys with me this weekend are all 10 years + flying so i think its a problem with the planes we built...im sure its my fault...and not e flite....so will keep ya posted...
Old 05-27-2008, 03:20 AM
navy atc

Default sorry man!

Aww thats a crime. When you describe your right turn issue, Im not sure if you are using aileron or rudder or combination of both. If you use right rudder, its best to use left aileron simultaneously to smooth it out or it can roll over onto its back and nose staight in. Been there, heard that nasty "splot" when It hit. Good to see youre getting back after two horrifics.Good man!. Now that youve learned, that wont happen again..
Old 05-27-2008, 03:47 AM
nascarwings

well after 5 hour rebuild..lol...i think i found at least one reason for the sharp right roll servo in the left flap jamed in full down so now that i think of it i was coming in with full flaps....sooo when i hit the switch for flaps up the left flap stayed down i think the would make her hit the water real fast..lol...ouch!!...
Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 PM
nascarwings

Just looked over beaver #2 Took the rear cover off and the elevator control horne is striped so that would make that one hit the water hard....gee feel like i work for the N.T.S.B...lol.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 AM
navy atc

Default dang

Hey Nascar. What water proofing methods had you employed on your electronics on these crashed aircraft.??

Accident review is a good thing.Painful as it may be. I wanted to hurl reviewing the video of my crash,but, a necessary evil.

Last edited by navy atc; 05-28-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:48 AM
nascarwings

i use silicone conformal coating its made by M G Chemicals...i have had good luck so far with it....just do not spray it on your battery connectors or you will have to sand it off...lol..(been there done that..lol)...you crashed your beaver.....if ya did any help ya need let me know im geting good at rebuilding them...smile...pick up my new little J 3 in the morning so will be busy building that this weekend...had one before and they fly nice...the beaver flys good but crashes bad..lol....i have been mixing a little rudder in with the ailrons and the beaver is starting to come around and not be a hand full to fly...smile
Old 05-28-2008, 01:28 PM
navy atc

Default Thanks

Thanks Nascar, that's mighty kind of you.I may take you up on that.I believe it can be repaired.After I get the new one airborn, I shall turn my attentions to repairing #1 and turning it into a land Beaver.
Yes, once I discovered the Rudder, opposite aileron mix,(I have no one to teach me)
it became a lot more fun to fly. For a truck that is.
I'm very curious to see what the land version flys like.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Madman
Bob

Default RF?

Originally Posted by navy atc View Post
Yes, once I discovered the Rudder, opposite aileron mix,(I have no one to teach me)it became a lot more fun to fly.
Have you considered http://www.realflight.com/ ?
I can't begin to count the money I've saved in learning maneuvers before I put a real bird in the air. Yes, the latest expansion pack DOES have the Beaver, by the way.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:09 AM
navy atc

Default Thank You

Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Have you considered http://www.realflight.com/ ?
I can't begin to count the money I've saved in learning maneuvers before I put a real bird in the air. Yes, the latest expansion pack DOES have the Beaver, by the way.
Thanks Madman. I have the 3.5.Just always flew the yaks and such.
While these are indeed wonderful training aids, there's no substitute for hands on. I would like to get the Beav expansion pack for fun.Can you run that w/a 3.5 or would I have to buy the 4.0?
Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Madman
Bob

Default sims and such

Thanks Madman. I have the 3.5.Just always flew the yaks and such. While these are indeed wonderful training aids, there's no substitute for hands on. I would like to get the Beav expansion pack for fun.Can you run that w/a 3.5 or would I have to buy the 4.0?
Thanks for your advice.
Sorry ... Expansion Pack 5 is not backwards compatible with G3.5. Even though I held out for several months, until Add-ons 1 and 2 were made 4.0 compatible, along with KE's promise to make Add-ons 3-5 compatible also ... and then I took the plunge (almost literally, since water is the main "new" thing in 4.0) ... and am now considering getting my first floater because of it. The DHC-2 is certainly a great looking candidate, but I recently had a bad experience with E-Flite's Pitts Model 12 15e (poor quality, poor factory build of the ARF, and inappropriate claims of 3D performance ... resulting in more than a few wings literally being flown off the bird by folks trying to validate E-flite's initial and since toned-down marketing claims). But G4.0 et seq is enjoyable enough that I'm not sorry I reinvested in the simulator ... I know I've pushed that red button enough to KNOW I couldn't afford to do some of the maneuvers in real life that I eventually learn in the simulator.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:48 AM
navy atc

Default simulator

Yep. Ive an intimate friendship with the red button my self.
I have flown the cub on floats at the lhs. It is much more forgiving (on the simulator anyways) than real flying the Beaver. When I bought the 3.5 I was told by the salesman that I would later be able to purchase 4.0 for 100.00 with proof of purchase of the 3.5.I havent checked into that. You ever heard that???
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Madman
Bob

Default too late for that ...

When I bought the 3.5 I was told by the salesman that I would later be able to purchase 4.0 for 100.00 with proof of purchase of the 3.5.I havent checked into that. You ever heard that???
As I recall, the deadline for that offer was a specific date, now past. Sorry to bear bad news, but the G4 is worth its price in my opinion.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 PM
navy atc

Default alas

story of my life
Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 PM
beavenx5

Default Looking for a nice float plane

I just fitted my PZ Supercub with brushles motor, Spectrum receiver and GWS floats for use at the cottage and loved it. Nice "scale" flying. I would like to leave the SC to my 11 year old son (it is actually his plane also) and get a nicer float plane for myself. I flew on the frozen lake all winter long and realy like the lake as my flying "field". It is right in front of the house, lots of room, and no trees in the way to crash into . I need another float plane...

My favorite are:
a) E-flite Taylorcraft: I could use my current 3s 2100mAh batteries or 4s A123. Not sure what size/brand of floats to use with Taylorcraft.
b) E-Flite DH Beaver: Planning to use my 5s A123 2600mAh batteries if they fit into the tight space.
c) Electrifly PBY Catalina: different plane but I love it. I might actually get it later in the fall as a 3rd float plane that can be used on snow also.

The Beaver would be my first choice if I can use my 5s A123 batteries in there.I don't want to spend major $$$$ on new batteries for now. I have not seen the plane in real yet and don't know if the A123 will fit as 4s lipos are supposed to be a tight fit already. A123 are bulkier and a little heavier than Lipos; plus I would need 5s for 16v. Is there a way to modify the cockpit to accomodate them?

Has anyone actually tried the Turnigy 42-50 700Kv or the Tower Pro 3520-6 700Kv motor on the Beaver instead of the Power32?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:18 PM
nascarwings

Default re beaver

well if it was me and want the best float plane...imoa...the eflite j3 cub is far the best....i have 2 beavers a eflite j3 cub...pby...seawind...and the j3 is the best flyer...the beaver has many bad happits while on floats....it stalls very very easy, the cub will out fly it hands down...now one of the worst things about the beaver is NO ROOM!!!! for the battery if you fly any thing more then the 4s3300("6 min flight time")get out your knife..lol. ya can almost slide a brick in the cub...(zippy-H 5000 4s,s fit no problem)...so imao get the cub, eflite has some mod work to do on the beaver with the floats...i think they should have tryed it first and i bet they would not have put in the manual that its a grace full flyer on floats...lol...
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
beavenx5

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly the kind of answer I needed. I like the Beaver better as far as look is concerned but would like an enjoyable plane to fly.

I don't like the look of the J3 as much as the Beaver but I heard it was a very nice flyer; I will consider it. The Taylorcraft is supposed to be a nice flyer also but I don't see many reviews of it with floats. TAnd the PBY looks tricky, this is why I think I will hold it off until I have a little more experience. I only started flying last November
Old 06-05-2008, 01:25 AM
navy atc

Default Me personally

Beaven,
I too have a SC brushless on floats.Its where I learned the habits of floats. I went from that to a T'craft(no floats) and then the Beaver.
It is a horse to fly but not insurmountable and IMHO is beautiful plane.
If you are not "real comfortable" moving up to a horse, you may want to consider Nascars advice and go w/the cubJ-3.
I have a 4s 4000mah 10c and a 3700 15c (truerc.com.about 80.00 bucks each & love em)and they both fit just fine with no mod needed. Get about 10-12 respectively. A123 will most likely need a slight mod.
If you want to see a beauty of a T'craft on floats checkout a Gent named Charley38 on rcgroups.com. He did a heck of a job adding floats.
BTW, he's Beaver man too.
Good luck.Either way, you can't go wrong with a floatplane!

Quick Reply: Should Start a thread on the Eflight DHC-2 Beaver..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13221 seconds with 11 queries