Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Brushed Motor Replacement for Slow Stick?

Old 01-01-2008, 05:26 PM
goofeyfoot

Default Brushed Motor Replacement for Slow Stick?

Hi:

I have a stock Slow Stick. I believe it has the stock 300 motor and gearbox.

I have a three cell lipo battery. It is a Thunderpower three cell, 11.1 volts.

It flies good enough for me. I don't want to spend a lot of time/money doing expensive modifications. I like the slow fly capabilities.

But my friend told me that I was going to cook the motor with that
Thunderpower battery. I want to rectify the problem but would rather replace the motor with something comparable than get another expensive battery.

So here is what I am looking for. A replacement cheap brushed motor that, with the right prop will fly good and not get screwed up by the 11.1 volts.

Would also want to know what prop to use.

I don't want brushless. Plain old cheap GWS is good, if they make such a thing that will work.

I was trying to study up on this and sort of got the idea that the EPS 400 motor with the "E" gear configuration would be the ticket. Looks like maybe the 1147 prop would be right (?). But I really don't understand any of this stuff that well. I also don't know about the size/weight of the EPS motor 400 (E) and whether it would fit right on the plane or not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Michael
Old 01-01-2008, 06:24 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

A geared 400 will do fine with 3S. Do some reading about this here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242539

You can learn about gearing and props from the GWS site here:
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...em/eps400c.htm

You can use several different gearings, just prop to the one you are using. It's in the charts there.

You might put out a request for a stock 400 setup on the group-most people change over to BL so there are a lot of them laying around. If not a complete setup from BP:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V300489
will set you back about $20 with shipping.

FWIW the 300 motor may last awhile or croak fast depending on the motor and how heavy you are on th the throttle. It would be a good idea to prop down from 11x8 (stock) to maybe a 9x6 with that. That's just a guess.

The 400 motor is larger/heavier and you'll have to re-balance. Frankly for the hassle unless you can get a 400 really cheap you can get a BL + ESC for ~$30 that will do well. Just make sure you are getting a LOW KV motor (~1000), not a fast spinning one which is a common mistake. I use this one-bolts right on, no hassle:
http://tinyurl.com/37wrsw
Good price, good service from Jeff.

fly
Old 01-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Dean in Milwaukee

You've got the right idea with the gws 400 motors, but you need a deeper gear ratio to use an 11 or 12" prop.

Try the G ratio with a 11x7 prop or the H with the 12x8. BTW, make sure your using the gws hd series props( straight bladed), not the curved bladed slowflyer type like what came with your slowstick.

You will find your slowstick now has major climb power and the motor will last a very long time.

Dean in Milwaukee
Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 AM
goofeyfoot

Thanks for the information guys.

Flydiver, can you check the link to the brushless setup you use? I couldn't see what you were referring to. I guess the link is broken or something.

I will get right to work on the changeover.

Thanks again, and best regards.

Michael
Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Sorry, chose an auction item. I've never done auctions with him, he has a lot of 'buy it now' items.

Here's the new link-make sure you get it all since it's long and may wrap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2410-09Y-Outrunn...QQcmdZViewItem

It's for the 2410-9y and 20A ESC for $30 ($2 ship). I'd also suggest the 3mm prop saver if you haven't been using one of those and are a new flier. If new get a couple replacement shafts while there and maybe some props. These are the items new fliers trash most on the SS (bent shaft, broke prop). When brand new I sometimes went through 3 props in 30" and had to go home with batteries unused before I learned about prop savers.

Be SURE to scroll down the page and do some reading. He has a lot of great info for new fliers.

BTW-since most up graders are speed and power hungry Jeff opts for the larger props. You can always prop down (size and/or pitch) for a slower flight. I've run that motor on a GWS HD 9x5 for new fliers and it's sedate and well controlled, but peppy. Look down the page at the prop data.

fly

Last edited by flydiver; 01-02-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
Sorry, chose an auction item. I've never don't that with him, he has a lot of 'buy it now' items.

Here's the new link-make sure you get it all since it's long and may wrap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2410-09Y-Outrunn...QQcmdZViewItem

It's for the 2410-9y and 20A ESC for $30 ($2 ship). I'd also suggest the 3mm prop saver if you haven't been using one of those and are a new flier. If new get a couple replacement shafts while there and maybe some props. These are the items new fliers trash most on the SS (bent shaft, broke prop). When brand new I sometimes went through 3 props in 30" and had to go home with batteries unused before I learned about prop savers.

Be SURE to scroll down the page and do some reading. He has a lot of great info for new fliers.

BTW-since most up graders are speed and power hungry Jeff opts for the larger props. You can always prop down (size and/or pitch) for a slower flight. I've run that motor on a GWS HD 9x5 for new fliers and it's sedate and well controlled, but peppy. Look down the page at the prop data.

fly
Hi I totally agree with Flydiver, the 2410-09 is a great motor for the Slow Stick, a 11x4.7 prop works great, it wont be too fast, but it will have lots of power, here is a 2410-09 with a 11x 4.7 prop. on my SS, Take care, Chellie

Old 01-02-2008, 05:06 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hey Chellie,
That music really fits...
Old 01-02-2008, 05:11 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Hey Chellie,
That music really fits...

Hi Bruce Its cute huh, its from the movie the tuskegee airmen, I really enjoyed that movie, I Hope you are having a Wonderful New Years, Take care, Chellie
Old 01-02-2008, 05:40 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Thanks, Right back at ya...
I really liked that movie too....good show.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:04 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

This table provides set-up infor for GWS 400 motor/gearbox combos.
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...em/eps400c.htm

You will note that none of them are recommended for 11.1V. Also note that a fully charged lipo 3 call pack is 12.4V, so you will be burning up the brushes on the speed 300 you have as well as the 400 you are buying.

If you are going to use a 3 cell, you really need to go brushless. Spending money on brushed set-ups is just throwing money away on motors that will have relatively short life spans. They will work but will drop in efficency quickly as the brushess pit.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:15 PM
RCairplane.pilot

hi, i used a 2410-09Y on a grand planes Yard Stik an was not impressed with it,had lousey flight times even with throttle mangement, gonna get a slow stick soon an will try it on it
Old 01-02-2008, 02:56 PM
goofeyfoot

Thanks again for all the great feedback. One more question. With regard to the 2410-09Y Outrunner - can you get one of those anyplace besides ebay. For a lot of reasons I don't buy anything on ebay.

Thanks again.

Micahel
Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I absolutely agree about ebay. But Jeff's 'buy it now' is no hassle, absolutely safe, low shipping (unlike the usual ebay shipping gougers), and great service (he'll make it right if it isn't-immediately).
Do a forum search on [heads up]. You'll only find good things about him. Just think of it as a store with an ebay front.
He's the ONLY ebay service I've used in years and ONLY after a lot of encouragement from this forum.

If that still doesn't work for you then BP Hobbies is good-slightly higher shipping, similar products but a much larger range. Unfortunately they are sometimes out of stock-be sure to check that:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A1190097

fly
Old 01-02-2008, 03:25 PM
goofeyfoot

OK:

Well again, I can't thank everyone enough for the feedback. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent at local hobby shops and in some cases I believe they know less than I do (which ain't much).

If it weren't for the feedback in forums like this I don't know what I would do.

Best regards.

Michael
Old 01-02-2008, 06:15 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by goofeyfoot View Post

I can't tell you how many hours I have spent at local hobby shops and in some cases I believe they know less than I do (which ain't much).

If it weren't for the feedback in forums like this I don't know what I would do.

Best regards.

Michael
I'll echo that message. If my LHS was a little more knowledged (or me for that matter) I would have gotten a hitec compatible receiver instead of a junior one, when I asked specifically for one that works with hitec.

Better to learn and know for yourself then to trust another to get it right for you. Now, I may be stuck with this one unless he's in a good mood today, lol....

Chellie, I think its great that you suggest the 2410-09 for a slow stick. Knowing that, I'll put this one I have on the SB SS I built and run it on 2s for a while.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:27 PM
cliffh

I really like the 2410-09 motor. The right prop will make all the difference. Also, when you get tired of your Slow Stick, purchase the Slow Stick X wing kit from Millenium RC. You just replace the wing and tail feathers with the kit wing, a full symetrical wing, and have a much faster and manuverable plane using the Slow Stick fuselage and hard parts.

It flies extremely well, handles winds great and slows to a crawl for landing just like the Slow Stick.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM
goofeyfoot

Well OK:

I would like to get the brushless that everyone is talking about but not on ebay.

The BP site looked pretty good when I went there to look. Only thing is that I'm not sure exactly what to get.

Lately I have been buying the wrong stuff because I don't know exactly what I am looking for.

So if someone wouldn't mind maybe you could take a look at the BP site (or equivalent). I'd like to get the motor/gearbox, esc, props, shafts and other replacement parts too, so maybe you can point those out.

I looked at the site and the numbering doesn't look exactly the same as what is quoted in the thread. I can't tell what will fit and am not too sure about the shaft lenghts and all those other details.

Sorry to be so insistent, but I have already bought a ton of stuff that wasn't correct either out of my own ignorance or that of the hobby shop owner. I don't need anymore "orphan" stuff in my garage!

Thanks again.

Michael

Last edited by goofeyfoot; 01-04-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:51 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

It's called learning-mostly done the hard way. You are asking for a lot since there are so many successful ways to set up the SS.

This is similar to what I use:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...97&pid=W558406
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=B1198427
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B2362523
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...97&pid=V327546
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...14&pid=V830125
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...14&pid=V190506
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...41&pid=S115145
or
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...id=EP1060Black

Frankly I'd still suggest Head's Up. He has MUCH better info, better prices, cheaper shipping, and you can communicate personally in a timely fashion.
If nothing else use his site/data to get a handle on what you want.
I could easily point you at a really nice, really high end flight system that would set you back $200-300+ without TX.
That's a hard combo to find.

Find the HUGE SS thread and start systematically wading your way through it. Take notes. I have several pages of notes on any plane/motor/ESC etc. I am interested in. Cut and paste works great for that. It'll make your head spin for awhile but there is no other good shortcut if you actually want to KNOW what's going on. Otherwise you'll always be "beholden" and in the dark.

fly
Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

I would like to get the brushless that everyone is talking about but not on ebay.

----------------------

Lately I have been buying the wrong stuff because I don't know exactly what I am looking for.

Hey, I've been there and still doing that. But hey, I got some motor, lol.

If Ebay gives you the willies you can try hobbycity.com. They carry the same motor/esc combos as Heads Up Rc. The difference between the 2
At HC it'll cost you around 20-22 bucks for 1 motor esc combo shipped to your door from china. This will take between 5-12 days after the order has been put into the warehouse (which could be another 2-8 days). You'll almost forget its coming in then one day look whats at the door.
At HeadsUp you'll get the same motor combo for 22 shipped and it will arrive at your door within 5 days of placing your order.
When you have questions about your motors, HC will take a few days to answer with possibly bad information.
Heads up will answer within 8 hours (or has been the case with me) and the information is trustworthy.

I've dealt with both and that has been my experience so far. For now I order all my smaller stuff (prop savers and motor shafts) through Heads up and all my motor combos through HC. But if I need a motor/esc quick I'll just go through Heads up and be more then happy.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
goofeyfoot

I don't disagree with anything you have said.

I can't use ebay, even if I want to. They shut me off, wrongly in my judgment. They say they are going to reinstate me but they are taking their sweet time.

As far as learning with pen and pencil I don't disagree with that except to say that at some point you have to actually fly something so that you can make some intelligent comparisons. I can't do that right now and that's why I am trying to get a quick and dirty resolution.

Thanks for your input. I will order the stuff today. Appreciate it.

Michael
Old 01-04-2008, 04:57 PM
RCairplane.pilot

I don't disagree with anything you have said.

I can't use ebay, even if I want to. They shut me off, wrongly in my judgment. They say they are going to reinstate me but they are taking their sweet time.

As far as learning with pen and pencil I don't disagree with that except to say that at some point you have to actually fly something so that you can make some intelligent comparisons. I can't do that right now and that's why I am trying to get a quick and dirty resolution.

Thanks for your input. I will order the stuff today. Appreciate it.

Michael
hi, just make you a new account at ebay, their computers pretty dumb it probley let you,use differant email address, it worked me LOL, worth a try anyways,i dont like ebay either they ripped me off. Jeff at headsuprc store will let you pay with money order, he's a good guy
Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
goofeyfoot

Yes I agree with what you're saying about ebay. But I'm supposed to get reinstated and I don't dare do anything that would make them mad.

Unfortunately for me, all roads keep pointing back to ebay so I have to keep on their good side.

Thanks for the idea.

Best regards.

Michael
Old 01-11-2008, 12:45 PM
goofeyfoot

Well thanks for all the advice.

I bought the "9Y" motor from BP Hobbies.

I bought the 18 AMP speed control too and some props that are in the 1047 vicinity.

So I guess I am ready to go.

A couple questions.

I have never flown a brushless on a slow flying plane before. I have flown them on other planes, though.

Do I have to do any other mods so that the Slow Stick can handle the power of a brushless? Or rather do I just fly as is?

Thanks.

Michael

PS Oh brother. Do I have the wrong prop? I just saw somewhere where people are using bigger props with this motor. What prop should I be using?

Thanks again.

Michael

Last edited by goofeyfoot; 01-11-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 PM
cliffh

You are good to go. That prop and motor will give you great take off thrust and very nice flights. Have fun.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
goofeyfoot

Well I was looking on line and I saw some people using 11/5 prop and one even a a 12/8. I did see some people using the 1047 but that was with an 8 wind motor, not a nine like mine. Seems like I am off in some substantial way. But I guess you think it will be OK?

Sorry to be so persistent but I think I have flown this plane about three times since I built it a month ago. I always seem to have something that doesn't match something else.

Thanks again.

Michael

Quick Reply: Brushed Motor Replacement for Slow Stick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12226 seconds with 12 queries