Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Need help finding a replacement micro motor

Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
richg99

Default Need help finding a replacement micro motor

A neighbor bought a Flyzone by Hobbico AeroScout for $50.00. I offered to help him get it up. Darn little thing flies well. Too well, as I caught a post with the prop on the second flight. Bent the shaft. Shaft broke when I went to straighten it.

Called Hobbico. No luck..."discontinued"....though you can still find them on the internet. I am going to buy him a replacement plane and take this one myself, assuming I can find one locally. If not, I'll go on the 'net and buy him one there.

Since I now "own" this plane, I thought I'd try to either replace the shaft or replace the motor. The motor looks like the shaft is pressed on from the front and I have little hope of prying it apart and getting something to fit inside and then getting it back together. That leaves me with trying to replace the motor. The physical sizes/specs ( all that I have and all that Hobbico could give me) are 10 mm x 12 mm x 20 mm long. Runs on a 4.8 150 ma Nimh battery. That is it.

I went to a local hobby shop and they couldn't help ( no surprise there). I did buy a small motor ($3.99) at Radio Shack #273-0106 which runs on a 6 v dc @ 17,000 no load rpm. It is slightly larger and would probably put this lightweight craft out of balance by a lot.

Any ideas on where I can buy a replacement motor? Any and all suggestions appreciated. thanks, rich

Old 09-09-2008, 05:38 PM
soar-ne
Omaha Ne.

GWS markets some 12mm diameter motors, and some of those are 4.8v motors. Google up the GWS site and check them out. Not sure but I think the little EDF50 motor is the motor you may be looking for, I believe it is the 4.8v motor, but it may be 30mm long not sure.

Good Luck
Bob
Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 PM
richg99

Thanks Bob... Your suggestion took me to the GWS site, No dealers around here had anything..but..just having the model number ( CN12-B2C) led me to a supplier with them in stock. I've ordered 4 of them (might as well mess around with a few of them ) and I await their arrival. Thanks a LOT! rich