Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Odd looking female bullet connector on ESC

Old 01-08-2009, 07:53 PM
newelectricflier

Question Odd looking female bullet connector on ESC

Hello,

I have a very basic question about the way to solder the red ESC wire to the red battery wire.

I recently purchased a set of bullet connectors (E-flite EFLA248 Gold BL Connector Set, 2mm) to connect my LiPo batt and ESC.

I am assuming that the red (-) and black (+) wires coming from the ESC are to connect to the red and black wires coming from the battery.

What I don't understand is how to connect the red ESC wire with the red batt wire. The ESC wire has what appears to be a female bullet connector soldered to it, except it is a very short end, with one-half of the circumference of the bullet connector's circlular shape missing.

It seems like that connector was put on backwards. I don't see how to solder that to the batt wire.

Thank you!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Can you take some pics and post them so we can see what you are seeing?

Also, moved to Power Systems.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:02 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Be very carefull you don't touch those connectors on the battery, you will prob short out the pack and could permanently damage it... or worse you could start a fire...

SK
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Bullets usually go from the motor to the esc, deans/powerpoles/ec3 comectors usually go on batterys and on the battery side of the esc...

SK
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by newelectricflier View Post
Hello,

I have a very basic question about the way to solder the red ESC wire to the red battery wire.

I recently purchased a set of bullet connectors (E-flite EFLA248 Gold BL Connector Set, 2mm) to connect my LiPo batt and ESC.

I am assuming that the red (-) and black (+) wires coming from the ESC are to connect to the red and black wires coming from the battery.

What I don't understand is how to connect the red ESC wire with the red batt wire. The ESC wire has what appears to be a female bullet connector soldered to it, except it is a very short end, with one-half of the circumference of the bullet connector's circlular shape missing.

It seems like that connector was put on backwards. I don't see how to solder that to the batt wire.

Thank you!
Are you sure there isn't a second (female) connector just pushed on to one of those ESC connectors. That battery end of the ESC should be polarized to match the pack - and have one female/one male connectors on it, and the three wires going to the motor should have female connectors on 'em. Pull off that female connector, lay the battery wire in and solder it up. I'd assume the other wire from the ESC has a male connector stuck in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EFLA248.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	89667  
Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 PM
newelectricflier

Default Odd looking female bullet connector - reply with pics

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Can you take some pics and post them so we can see what you are seeing?

Also, moved to Power Systems.

Sure, here are some pics. The first one shows the red wire coming from the ESC, along with the "odd looking female bullet connector" that I described in my original post (missing half-circumference).

What do I solder to the end of the red batt wire so that it will connect with the red ESC wire?

The second image shows the two wires coming from the LiPo batt.

The black ESC wire seems simple enough: just solder a female connector to the black batt wire, cover with shrink tubing, etc., and plug in. It's that red ESC wire connector that I am uncertain about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2781.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	89668   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2787.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	89669  
Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 PM
newelectricflier

Default Odd looking female bullet connector - I think I've got it

Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
Are you sure there isn't a second (female) connector just pushed on to one of those ESC connectors. That battery end of the ESC should be polarized to match the pack - and have one female/one male connectors on it, and the three wires going to the motor should have female connectors on 'em. Pull off that female connector, lay the battery wire in and solder it up. I'd assume the other wire from the ESC has a male connector stuck in it.

Dr Kiwi,

Thanks for the clue. You were right - simply pulling out the connector from the red ESC wire as you described is all that I needed. I think I am good to go for soldering.

Thank you all for your feedback!

newelectricflier
Old 01-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Yeah, don't use bullets on your batteries.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Why not? - maybe I just hate soldering Deans Connectors (and trying to get the suckers apart in a tight space), but I use MP JET Gold Connectors on all of mine - polarized by using male on positive/female on negative... plastic thread protectors from ACE Hardware over each connector when not in use.... never an issue.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Why not?? EC3 connectors are nothing but 3.5MM bullets in a plastic housing...
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Why not?? EC3 connectors are nothing but 3.5MM bullets in a plastic housing...
a nice "thick" plastic houseing...

I have seen people use bullets that way... But I don't think I'd do it...

Lets just say one time the shrinktub fails to prevent the leads from touching...zap... and they don't have to touch themselves, they can both accidently touch another connector.... which would be the same as touching them...

Yes, if your carefull, it prob won't happen... but there is a higher chance of that then using other types of connectors...

SK