3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

What makes a good 3D plane?

Old 01-08-2011, 03:57 PM
typicalmale78

Lightbulb What makes a good 3D plane?

I have been thinking about this and decided to make a post, because I know you all have great ideas/feedback. The question is simple although I'm sure the answer won't be so clear. Anyway what are your thoughts on the perfect 3D plane specs? Is it the power/weight ratio? The wingspan/length ratio? The AUW? Let me know what you all think.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:55 PM
losifanatic
RC Addict

Design of the plane. You can fly a plane with a crazy power to weight ratio and if its not designed to fly 3D its not going to. Same holds true to wingloading and all that . Its all about the design. I dont know what they do to make it 3D well (or I would be making them ) but what ever little things they do when designing the planes it really helps
Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Hi TM78,
First of all, WELCOME to WattFlyer! It's always great to see new folks.

I'm not a 3-D guru, but I have noticed some things that are almost always present on popular 3D birds.
1. A symmetrical airfoil on the main wing(s). It helps with inverted flight and other things.
2. BIG control surfaces with the ability to deflect large distances in both directions.
3. A power ratio that's much more than 1 to 1. (So you can accelerate while climbing straight up).
4. Long noses are bad.

There are electric motors that can pull any sized 3D plane you want into any maneuver in the book, so a best AUW depends on how big your plane is. That depends on how big your flying area is and how deep your wallet is!

And I agree with the points Losi made, so What he said +1.

Are you planning on doing a scratch build?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:04 AM
typicalmale78

Yes, I would love to make a flat foamie 3d plane. I know there are plenty of plans out there but I was just gathering info before I actually started cutting Depron ya know. Also, I have not found any one topic that really answers the high points of 3D plane building. Thanks so much for your replies.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

If we are talking a 3D trainer I don't think you can beat an EPP profile. Here are some links, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Slofly Superslo 28
LeadFeather Yak
McFoamy
TH Slick
Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by typicalmale78 View Post
I have been thinking about this and decided to make a post, because I know you all have great ideas/feedback. The question is simple although I'm sure the answer won't be so clear. Anyway what are your thoughts on the perfect 3D plane specs? Is it the power/weight ratio? The wingspan/length ratio? The AUW? Let me know what you all think.
Big Control surfaces, more than a 1 to 1 power ratio, long fuselage for better control, big wings, lite weight, Lite, quick and strong servos, a good Radio.

http://www.rchobbies.org/e-flite-tribute-fx.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=447

Old 01-10-2011, 02:12 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24043
Old 01-10-2011, 03:37 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Interesting video from the awesome RCSuperPowers. Tried to link to the place (2 minutes, 50 seconds) where he talks about the importance of a long fuselage, but the forum keeps eating my link. (I may have fixed it...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmU_B_EdcVg&t=02m50s

You can download free plans for this plane, BTW
http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625
Old 01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
typicalmale78

Thank you for the recommendations and ideas folks. This site is really a wealth of knowledge for someone new to RC aircraft.