Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

How to make a Battery Pack?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Olias

Default How to make a Battery Pack?

Hello one and all. I'm not new to WattFlyer but I've never been to this section of the forum. I've progressed enough in this hobby that I'd like to start making my own NiMH TX and flight packs. I understand the basics of it and am pretty confident I could do it if someone could lay out the specifics and even better maybe add a pic or two on the process.

So, all I'm asking is if someone could could just point me to any tutorials that they may be aware of either here at RC Groups or elsewhere, doesn't matter. Perhaps someone has actually made a video?? Thanks very much for any help in advance.

Bryan
Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Olias View Post
Hello one and all. I'm not new to WattFlyer but I've never been to this section of the forum. I've progressed enough in this hobby that I'd like to start making my own NiMH TX and flight packs. I understand the basics of it and am pretty confident I could do it if someone could lay out the specifics and even better maybe add a pic or two on the process.

So, all I'm asking is if someone could could just point me to any tutorials that they may be aware of either here at RC Groups or elsewhere, doesn't matter. Perhaps someone has actually made a video?? Thanks very much for any help in advance.

Bryan
Wow ! what a great question! I'm sure some bub's will chime in here, bub, steve
Old 09-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Originally Posted by Olias View Post

Bryan
Why would you want to make up your own packs when there is no money saving? If one has to ask how to do this I don't think they have progressed far enough to attempt it. Are you proficient in soldering?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Here is a good video on making battery packs.

http://media.putfile.com/BattBuildVid

I think what Red was alluding to is once you purchase the proper rated battery cells and other supplies you might be at the same cost of purchasing ready made packs made by knowledgeable and experienced people. You can't just go to Walmart or the Dollar store and buy NIMH cells. The ones they sell work ok for low load applications like digicams but wont do well for higher output apps like motors.

I don't want to discourage a fellow tinkerer like myself, but do your homework and price stuff out first. Use the search function for battery pack construction. There is a lot of info buried in the back pages.

And be advised that I am not a battery expert and did not sleep in a Holiday Inn last night so if I have misspoken someone please chime in.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

http://www.eflight101.com/batteries/soldering/
Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Doc Ferguson
Doc Ferguson

Default Creating your own battery packs

I found some great articles for building battery packs. However even being a scratch builder for the majority of my planes I cannot for the life of me feel that I would be saving any money in construction of the battery packs. It is of interest how others have taken upon themselves the effort and worked out many flaws that could be created in the construction. I would rather spend more time on my next scratch plane or repair one who met the forces of gravity and find all the parts and put them in my five gallon bucket and wait for a bad weather day and reconstruct my damaged craft and use it for combat pleasure since there are always kinks in reconstruction. Doc Ferguson I want to thank those who have gone through the phases of construction for education purposes.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Try buying a LIFEPO4 ...4 cell and a 6 cell.
Then price out a Dewalt pack, cut 1 time, to give you a 4 cell & a 6 cell.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Doc Ferguson
Doc Ferguson

Thanks for the information. Where do you find the shrink wrap large enough for the battery pack?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Terry.0132

I have found it cost effective to solder rechargeable NiMh AAA and AA cells for proving power for a glider (where only 6v required), because you can arrange the shape of the pack to fit the space in the glider. Sometimes 4 cells in a "square" block, or 2x2 for a flat pack with choice whether you want the power line coming from the end or centre. Very important to sand the ends of the cells to prepare for tinning.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:14 AM
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

Originally Posted by Doc Ferguson View Post
Thanks for the information. Where do you find the shrink wrap large enough for the battery pack?

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=38
Old 12-06-2009, 04:39 AM
Doc Ferguson
Doc Ferguson

Thanks for the information. I have marked it in my favorites so that I can study over the site. Doc Ferguson
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Terry.0132

I must say over here I was unable to find shrinkwrap large enough so I duct-taped the batteries to a piece of 2mm ply the size I of the pack.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Doc Ferguson
Doc Ferguson

I should have realized that duct tape would be the universal remedy for shrink wrap. Doc Ferguson
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 AM
whipple
Memento mori

How to make a Battery Pack?

Simple. Tell it you're going on a trip.

Whipple