Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

What kind of battery connector is this?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Dspanky1505

Default What kind of battery connector is this?

Hey all,
I'm trying to get back into the hobby, and all of my batteries are too weak, so I need to buy some new ones. I was a newbie years ago when I started, therefore I am still a newbie, so my terminology is a little elementary. I was hoping you guys could fill me in on what kind of battery connector this is so that I know what kind of battery to get. I know that it is a 7 cell nicad battery, but that is about all that i know. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Dspanky1505

Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

let the nicads go. time for an upgrade.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Dspanky1505

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
let the nicads go. time for an upgrade.
Thought about it, but seeing as it is a trainer, it probably wouldn't be worth the money for lipo's and a new motor. But then again, I haven't priced them in a while. Someday when it is time for a new plane, yes. But for now being a neighborhood flyer/crashed....nicads are getting the job done.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:54 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

$5-10 for a similar priced lipo, 2-3 times the flight time, about 5 times the power. if your old.batteries.are toast, now is the time.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

use the lipo with existing motor and esc. just need to be careful of low voltage cut off.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:07 AM
Dspanky1505

use the lipo with existing motor and esc. just need to be careful of low voltage cut off.
That would be compatable, eh? Always thought it was a no-no. What do you mean by the cut off?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

To answer the original question, that is a Mini Tamiya connector
Old 07-02-2013, 03:19 AM
Dspanky1505

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
To answer the original question, that is a Mini Tamiya connector
Thank you!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:24 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Smile

Originally Posted by Dspanky1505 View Post
That would be compatable, eh? Always thought it was a no-no. What do you mean by the cut off?
lipos shouldn't get much below 3.7's per cell. most esc's have a built in low voltage cutoff to prevent destroying your lipos. my dad had a brushed slowstick he ran on nicads. when the pack quit, he threw a jst connector on and used his lipos t(400-800mah 3 cells) from broken helicopters. it dramatically changed both power output and flight times, and weighed less then half what his nicads did.

once you get a taste for it, I doubt you'll go back. good luck either way you go.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Hey all,
I'm trying to get back into the hobby, and all of my batteries are too weak, so I need to buy some new ones. I was a newbie years ago when I started, therefore I am still a newbie, so my terminology is a little elementary. I was hoping you guys could fill me in on what kind of battery connector this is so that I know what kind of battery to get. I know that it is a 7 cell nicad battery, but that is about all that i know. Thanks in advance!
Yeah
As others have indicated, I've also gone the way of the Nicads and Nih cells for electric motor power. That said, those LiPo batteries are an order of magnitude better than those old units. And if you shop around, they are also cheaper.

But, you absolutely must have a charger that balances the LiPo batteries through the LiPo battery balance connector while charging these things.

A wide variety of balancing chargers are available nowdays. As for me, I've gone the Cellpro line, such as the Cellpro Multi4 chargers. (Cellpro also has a store in the USA)

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...pro-Multi4_220
Old 07-05-2013, 04:17 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hey all,
Connectors are the old standard TAMIYA plug used on cars / brushed motor planes for years ... but so temperamental ... they have been replaced in general use by Deans, XT60's etc.

Nigel
Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Trouble is LiPo's either low or too high a voltage compared to NiXX packs ... ask me how I found out !!

Really you need to swap out motor as well as the battery if you want to do LiPo ... so means Brushless motor, Brushless ESC and LiPo to suit.

Nigel
Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Trouble is LiPo's either low or too high a voltage compared to NiXX packs ... ask me how I found out !!

Really you need to swap out motor as well as the battery if you want to do LiPo ... so means Brushless motor, Brushless ESC and LiPo to suit.

Nigel
LOL
Sounds like the voice of experience!

Here is why one of those wattmeters is so important when working with different types of battery packs, motors and propellers. Increasing the battery voltage by 25% could wind up doubling the watts input to your motor, while using the same propeller. Not to mention putting to much voltage on your ESC, and blasting it in the first second of powering it up.

If your ESC can handle the extra voltage, generally with the use of a wattmeter, you can select a propeller that will allow running your motor within its ratings.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

7-cell NiCad fully charged = 9.6v
2S (2-cell) lipo fully charged = 8.4v
But the lipo will be lighter and support the voltage better so the plane should fly better. If the battery is an important part of the balance (CG) you should pay attention to the weight and size if that's a consideration also.

You'll find NiXX batteries are fading away in RC. You'll pay as much or more for a NiXX battery as you will for a similar lipo. You probably have a Ready To Fly (RTF) plane so the charger isn't much of a shake either. No loss to get rid of it. This is the time to upgrade batteries AND charger.

The low voltage cut-off for brushed ESC (speed controls) for the NiCad will be too low and damage the lipo if you fly until the motor quits. You'll need to fly awhile, land, and check the voltage until you can figure out a decent time to fly. You can use a voltmeter or there are cheap voltage checkers available for a few $$, well worth having.

Ditch the Tamiya connectors. They are lousy.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hey all,
Hi, Thats not a Nicad battery but a NiMH , 7 Cell @ 8.4 Volts
Nickel–metal hydride battery

Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

You Can Roll your Own Battery Pack these are a 700 mah Ni MH battery, It looks like yours are a 600 mah, these will work just fine, they should not be to much heavier if at all, Because of new Generation Ni MH tech.

http://www.onlybatteries.com/showite....31&cat1=&uid=

Last edited by CHELLIE; 07-05-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

These Ni MH batteries are not cheap, But at least you wont have to buy a new charger for lipos, ASAP get into lipos, You will be glad you did, Chellie

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAYNU&P=0

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...shed-rtf.html#

Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...male-1-pr.html