RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Corona RP4s1 problems?!?

Old 04-30-2011, 02:00 PM
sidecar53

Default Corona RP4s1 problems?!?

Hi, guys. A year ago, before I had shoulder surgery and was unable to build or fly, I bought and installed 6 of the RP4S1 receivers from HK. All worked fine at the time. Fast forward to yesterday- I just finished a micro build (my first one back )and installed one of these units and was unable to lock on to my tx following HK's instructions. Furthermore, I made sure a second rx worked in one of my previous builds, removed it and installed it in my new build and again, it wouldn't lock on. Repeat this 3 more times. My tx is a JR Xp6102 and works with my Bergs perfectly. Any ideas?? Thanks for any and all responses.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Is it fast blinking when you push the reset (start-up) Button??
Is there any carbon rods near the Ant,? ( it'll mess your rx up good!),
did the Ant come loose from the TX? a common prob an must be reslodered on,its tight but doable , I've got a bucket full of these Rx's and like them, hope this help's,bubsteve
Old 04-30-2011, 04:48 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

MASH!!! the stupid button.
Make sure you are reading the instructions right.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by sidecar53 View Post
Hi, guys. A year ago, before I had shoulder surgery and was unable to build or fly, I bought and installed 6 of the RP4S1 receivers from HK. All worked fine at the time. Fast forward to yesterday- I just finished a micro build (my first one back )and installed one of these units and was unable to lock on to my tx following HK's instructions. Furthermore, I made sure a second rx worked in one of my previous builds, removed it and installed it in my new build and again, it wouldn't lock on. Repeat this 3 more times. My tx is a JR Xp6102 and works with my Bergs perfectly. Any ideas?? Thanks for any and all responses.
I Stopped Wasting my money on Corona Receivers a long time ago and use only Berg receivers now, i learned that your not saving any money buying cheap receivers, your just throwing it away, been there, done that, now i only buy proven Berg Receivers and have not wasted anymore money buying Cheapy receivers, Just my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-30-2011, 11:37 PM
sidecar53

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I Stopped Wasting my money on Corona Receivers a long time ago and use only Berg receivers now, i learned that your not saving any money buying cheap receivers, your just throwing it away, been there, done that, now i only buy proven Berg Receivers and have not wasted anymore money buying Cheapy receivers, Just my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie
You know, Chellie, I'm thinking you're right. I own 2 Berg 4l's and never had a second's problem with them. I think Berg is the only way to go. Now, If I could only find a few used ones to save some $$. Still not working full time and money's tight. Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by sidecar53 View Post
You know, Chellie, I'm thinking you're right. I own 2 Berg 4l's and never had a second's problem with them. I think Berg is the only way to go. Now, If I could only find a few used ones to save some $$. Still not working full time and money's tight. Thanks for your advice.
Hi If you have some corona receivers that are working ok, sell them on ebay, and buy Berg recevers to replace them, that will save you some money and give you some receiver dependability, Just my 2 cents worth, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 05-01-2011, 09:31 PM
jnastasi
I'd rather be flying...

I have used the crystal Corona's both 4 & 6 channel with zero problems. I tried the 6 channel synthesized version in my PZ SR-10 with no problems. I just bought a synthesized 4 and 6 channel. Had no problem syncing them, BUT:

I was flying my 3 channel Great Planes Electric Cub and noticed it was a little twitchy. It was gusty so, I thought it was that. Well, it was sitting on the ground for about 2 minutes when all of a sudden, the control surfaces deflected to max and returned to center! It happened a couple of times.

I put the 6 channel in my Eflite RV-9. It took a while to get it synced, but then it was fine. I accidentally put my transmitter in a non-transmitting mode and all of a sudden, the RV-9s servos go nuts and the throttle comes on! As my usual procedure when installing electronics, I had not put on the prop yet! Good thing!

I'm guessing that this group of receivers, which I got from BP Hobbies, are part of a bad batch. The one I got from Heads Up worked and continues to work fine.

I really don't need the synthesized feature, so I'm going to try and see if BP will swap them for the crystal controlled versions.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:25 AM
sidecar53

Thanks for the replies guys (and girl). Been out of town for a bit. I think I'll take Chellie's advice and just buy Bergs.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Chappy
Chappy

I've had my share of problems from the Corona's and had one doing the same thing. It wouldn't lock to my 6102. I was doing this in my hobby room with the computer on. I was advised to go outside to synronize it and whalla! It locked in like it was susposed to first try. On the other hand because of the problems with Corona's I too went to Berg last year. I flew them last season and did have a "glitch" in my Funtana with a 4L but nothing that continued to haunt me. I now have a 7P that worked last year but now will not give me a satisfactory range check this year. I tried changing crystals and not much of a change. Servos constantly chattering to a point of all out glitch. I'm a bit apprehensive about using it now and thinking I'll move it to one of my lesser cared about models. Hitec has yet to give me problems, any of 'em, OS 5; neutron 6; mini 6S dual or single conversion. BP Hobbies has 9 ch synthesized "Fusion 9" for $18.00! http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...93&pid=W152968