B-47 8.77th (1:8.7669) Scale, Boeing Stratojet Component Assembly - Page 14 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

B-47 8.77th (1:8.7669) Scale, Boeing Stratojet Component Assembly

Old 10-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default CG

Thanks for the insight...Insightful

The Boeing 25% of MAC is relative to the trailing edge of the wing at the side of the fuselage. There is a small
flair angle to cuff the fully extended flap inboard edge. Will test with an enlarged 1948 Nabisco shredded wheat cereal box B-47 from a 40' high balcony and see how she does. I will cut from balsa and lite ply.

George Maiorana's Tu-95 CG test used a much smaller balsa glider.

Because the B-47 gear are bicycle there is little weight transfer fore and aft of CG. Outriggers swing
forward when retracted.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 11-20-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:59 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Bernie Lund returned my call this evening telling me his CG is exactly as I had calculated and Boeing declared for 25% of MAC. Bernie has his #3 nearly ready...again...;^) This time he has a huge number of plug locks to prevent what haunted him twice... :^( Looking forward to seeing Bernie's next flight, maybe in person considering how economical flights are to Vegas from Houston. Will post my B-47 glider results when I toss my cookies in Kentucky.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:41 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Decided to wait until our Epilog laser is set up and cut a larger CG test shape. Sam left this morning
going to Arlington to pick up the Epilog Fusion 32" laser.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 11-20-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Merry Christmas You-All ! ! !

Things are getting back on track here in Houston thanks to the encouragement of friends and club members.
Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I will begin moving my storage unit shop into a 20x20 bedroom. That's
going to seem cavernous compared to the storage unit.

Meanwhile at the cabin in the Kentucky woods...there's no lack of construction completion tasks. Though Sam
is rushing along through the ever shortening list it seems we're crawling along at an amazing speed of daylight.
Office walls are up and mud applied to joints, ready for primer. Next, laminate is laid down then laser, digitizing
table, and CAD suite can be placed in their appointed places before the snow gets too deep.

Santa...is hard at work amidst flooring and paint cans stacked like a Christmas tree in center of the basement.
As with most, our hobby obsession will take a break for family and friends before much else can be completed.
We, Sam, Judy, Mack, and I, the B-47 crew, encourage all to enjoy family & friends making pleasant memories...
While this cabin seems to be taking forever, life is too short to not enjoy each other along the way.

.................................................. ...Merry Christmas, You-all !!!
.................................................. .............................................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SantaSays.gif
Views:	130
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	187750  
Old 12-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Merry Christmas to you Ed.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:58 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Jim,

Thanks, we're working to make it as merry a Christmas as possible...
Same to you and your's.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:11 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Here we are on January 11th 2020. Sam is amidst priming and painting the MAC office and initial laser cutting suite after installing all the laminate, molding, and doorways. Literally, this project is moving along at the speed of paint drying.

Not to complain, only chronicling how the view out the Enterprises' front window has gone from a blur at nearly the speed of light to watching the approach of "things" measured in artistic brush strokes. I may have pics of office and basement laser suite to post later today.

Name:	SmlrOff.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	187793  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-11-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:24 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal View Post
I have gotten to that inevitable point in every project...CG confirmation. Not being one to go against convention
I tend to lean heavily on a manufacturer's declaration over any model calculator. Does anyone take exception
to Boeing's 25% of MAC?

Yes I am being a wee bit paranoid as I am breaking new ground here. There is a C/L model currently flying in
the UK who's email this morning stated his CG is at the trailing edge and he is wants to add a wee bit more to
the front end.

He did not state whether he meant the trailing edge at the side of the fuselage or center line of fuselage. I had
explicitly referenced a Boeing declaration behind intersect of wings at the fuselage center line as 25% of MAC.
On my B-47 that's a difference of about 3~4 inches between the two locations.

Looking for a life line here...

Its always best to start out a bit nose heavy than risk the aircraft being tail heavy on the Maiden flight, you can always move the cg back a little at a time, Tail heavy planes fly only once and a nose heavy plane will fly, maybe a little sluggish but it will fly. best to be safe than sorry.

The B-47 has a very very bad landing gear set up, its not very stable, the inline main landing gear will not balance out very well and the plane goes into a Ground loop when landing at times because the landing gear on the main wing is to light and buckles causing a ground loop, Curtis LeMay got it right when Designing the B-52 landing gear, thats what the B-47 should of had,
beef up the wing tip landing gear so it does not collapse and fold under causing a ground loop.
the inline landing gear will work on a lighter plane like the U-2 Spy plane because its a lot lighter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_LeMay
Old 01-13-2020, 09:23 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Landing Sequence

Chellie

I agree careful to land as level as possible is the only way the bicycle gear should be landed. Earlier in this thread I showed the proper landing approach and consequence of an improper approach. Of the three B-47's that have flown and landed...all three suffered damage from the pilot thoughtlessly flaring the model. This has to be landed level or its going to bounce multiple times and join those three.

I contacted FAI requesting use of an approach array and gyro to permit me to maintain a proper approach angle to permit minimum transition to a level touchdown. This was prior to their authorizing use of gyros as an aid in this circumstance. I will also use cascading lights as a visual glide reference. In my case its a tri-pod mounted array of LED with a cascading sequence inward to the center. This is placed within my approach path line of sight and an
anticipated touchdown point I identify during practice flights. The purpose is to maintain a steadily declining approach to maintain a level glide path...He said with great confidence... ;^) My outrigger gear are electric with spring struts.

CG is identical to George Maiorana's Tu-95. He zero'd in on proper CG with a balsa glider with proper proportioned dims adding weight until a smooth approach decent was achieved and when released it maintained a gentle rise to stall then drop to rise and stall again until it landed.

My CG test will use a sheet balsa model with identical proportions as well. I am also going to create a flying test model using a 50's Nabisco B-47 glider.

Name:	B-47Landing.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	187795   Click image for larger version

Name:	B-47CGlider.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	187796  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-14-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:06 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Control

While Sam finishes the log cabin I went ahead and began programming my choice of radio and receiver(s). I have always thought in terms of you never can have too many fully proportional, programmable, and mixable channels. Today, thanks to new integrated surface mount technology and frequency SS manipulation this translates into dollars it will cost. I chose the 32 channel capable FrSky Taranis X9D Plus SE 2019. That long name is an explicit model of FrSky's transmitter/dual frequency operating system enabled by their approach to serial bus (sbus) with duplexing.
Basically there are two transmitters in a single transmitter case. One an internal and the second a module plugged into the back. Essentially they are attached at the hip so to speak, physically and virtually in the OpSys.

A friend has used the FrSky Open TX opsys since it was introduced. I have bounced questions off him for two years. Yesterday he reminded me there are no stupid questions except those unasked. He has been most patient with me...His most recent model's servo and motion requirements are similar to my B-47. My most complex function is outboard flaperon travel through first 25% of aileron travel. While this is the most exotic setup I have ever had,

I am starting with less complex motion control of throttle, aileron, rudder, elevator, flap, inboard & outboard retract, rear brake, bomb bay doors & bomb release, 20mm cannon turret, approach chute, brake chute, gyro on/off, and canopy...whew (feel like the Hershey's Kiss ringing like a hand bell)...

To start, I map the entire airframe...

Name:	32Chan.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	187799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airframap.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	187801  
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Rather Then Circles & Squares...Simple Text & Video

Ah here we are at the door to that wonderful world of sbus (serial bus). Specifically the FrSky sbus. The sbus (serial bus) with 16 channel capability is within each current (01-15-2020) FrSky 4, 6, and 8 channel receivers.

Why:
Among all the reasons for using the sbus (serial bus) circuit configuration the reduction in the number of servo wires (aka congestion) in a model to a single plug (standard 3 wire) connection between a receiver and up to 16 servos (individually programmable and fully proportional)(per-receiver) is the greatest. That's the simple answer. Oh, you say you only have 4 wires between your receiver and 4 servos. How many would you need for 32 servos?

8 channel receivers are shown in videos. 32 channels are achieved with 2 four channel receivers.
So, how is this accomplished?

How:
Rec #1 (4 channels)
Decoder 1 (4 add'l individually programmable servo motions) assigned as channels 1, 2, 3, 4
Decoder 2 (4 add'l individually programmable servo motions) assigned as channels 5, 6, 7, 8
Decoder 3 (4 add'l individually programmable servo motions) assigned as channels 9,10,11,12
Decoder 4 (4 add'l individually programmable servo motions) assigned as channels 13,14,15,16

Rec #2 (4 channels)
Decoder 1 (4 add'l individually programmable servo motions) assigned as channels 17,18,19,20
Decoder 2 (4 add'l individually programmable servo motions) assigned as channels 21,22,23,24
Decoder 3 (4 add'l individually programmable servo motions) assigned as channels 25,26,27,28
Decoder 4 (4 add'l individually programmable servo motions) assigned as channels 29,30,31,32

8 channel receivers are shown in videos. 32 channels are achieved with 2 four channel receivers.

Hopefully this will simplify the sbus for thread readers.

There are multiple batteries of identical mah capacity with switches plugged in "Y" harnesses at each decoder.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-16-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:44 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

What happens next? I map servo identities per function so transmitter can be programmed for servo movement. Where there are more than one servo per function you utilize a "Y" harness or program an individual servo on another channel (hence the reason for up to 32 channels).

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-17-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:30 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Meanwhile Down In The Dungeon

While I learn how2...with the new radio, Sam's playing house, or in this case basement office. Its amazing the variety of details needing squaring away after the three carpenters finished their part. Down in the dungeon Sam's rock'n and roll'n. In this case its roll'n Kilz and two coats of latex. The office laminate, trim, primer and paint is complete.

Its supposed to be below freezing for the next three days. When ground hardens Sam's going to move laser, desks, digitizer, and computers in. Laser will stay in basement until the shop is environmentally stable. Office is but 20% of the basement so there's plenty yet to finish out. But before then...we're off to build out the shop.

Name:	2n.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	187804   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAC_Office.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	187805   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	187806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Epilog_Fusion.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	187808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Digitizer.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	187810  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-17-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:18 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Looks like a nice setup.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:27 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Not exactly a dungeon, with the windows and glass door. Looks cozy, porch and shade trees outside would make a great place to sip iced tea.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

It's Kentucky so there is plenty of fresh air, forest in the back yard, and as for sipping on the patio...during my last visit I enjoyed the low humidity and cool breeze on the upstairs balcony. I had forgotten how loud leaves are...

Next, building out the shop:

Name:	Balcony.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	187811   Click image for larger version

Name:	shop2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	187812  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-17-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:19 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

All I can say is WOW, what a great house.
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Sam retired from Chevron here in Houston and moved back to Kentucky. He decided for the cost of a GC,
he would serve that position himself. What is they say about hindsight? Guess what he's never doing again...
nor should he need to.

Its beautiful and energy efficient considering ten inch walls tend to keep everything inside the temperature
of choice, regardless of what the outdoors offer. A huge difference between Houston and Bowling Green is
HUMIDITY, or the lack there of with cooler breezes. There are occasional issues.

Name:	BalconyVU.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	187821  
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Yesterday Sam said the ground froze enough to permit pulling the trailer behind the
house to unload a toy which has been in cold storage for a couple of months.

Name:	Fusion32M2a.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	187823   Click image for larger version

Name:	EpUse.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	187824  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; Yesterday at 04:03 PM.