How to center motor shaft if spinner/prop hole is bigger ? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

How to center motor shaft if spinner/prop hole is bigger ?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:02 AM

Question How to center motor shaft if spinner/prop hole is bigger ?

HI ALL!
I have a EP Rascal 40.
The hole in the plastic spinner base plate and the hole in my Prop have been reamed before (for a different plane) and both have holes slightly bigger than the Motor 's shaft . [The collet nut squeezes this behind as the prop is tightenned].
How do I ensure that when I tighten the prop nut, the prop and spinner-base are at exact center of the shaft's axis? They kinda "hang" when tightenned side ways. I cant tighten vertically for sure.
Do I have to make the holes smaller somehow or place them so that the shaft looks centered and tighten?
Pls advice ....TIA
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Ben D wing

There is no SAFE way of achieving what you ask. IMHO you should buy a new prop and spinner.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Ben D wing View Post
There is no SAFE way of achieving what you ask. IMHO you should buy a new prop and spinner.
Yes I agree with Ben D Wing, Its a lot safer to to just get a new prop and spinner, they are Cheap enough, and there is no sence in getting hurt, for a few dollars, We want to keep you around Take care, Chellie
Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 AM
marchino61

Default There is a way

If you have a drill press, you can drill the hole out larger and then use an adapter (many props with larger holes come with sets of these adapters) to reduce the hole back to the correct size.

Not sure about the spinner back plate as I am not entirely sure what that is.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:10 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

In 1/2a nitro engines, we have run into this problem a lot. If we didn't come up with a solution, we wouldn't have been able to use spinners with most Cox, etc engines. The APC props made for 1/2a engines had this problem as well. What we usually did was slip a length of small silicone fuel tubing over the prop shaft and cut it to about 1/16" longer than the thickness of the prop hub and spinner backplate. This keeps the prop and spinner centered just fine in my experience. The other option is to find brass tubing of the appropriate inner and outer diameter, sometimes layering more than one piece was necessary, and cutting it to the thickness of the prop and spinner to use as a bushing.

I suppose these methods are probably considered unsafe nowadays, but they worked fine for many modelers before my time and were the only way to get props to fit some engine/motor shafts up until the electric explosion made a LOT more products available to us a few years ago.

Bottom line, get a new prop and spinner to be on the safe side, but if you like tinkering and are responsible enough to determine whether or not my suggestion will work safely in your application, give it a try.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:46 PM
eflight-ray

More than once I have wound layers of masking tape on a shaft to match the hole on a prop, the models have survived, plus I have survived, and I will do it again if needed.

But then I also balance all my props whatever size hole they have.

Occasionally one of the APC prop rings will do the job even on non APC props.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by eflight-ray View Post
But then I also balance all my props whatever size hole they have. .
Thats another thing , how do I balance props correctly...is there a site/thread you can point to ?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

I use electricians' tape, stripped to needed width, and carefully wrapped around the prop driver shaft until it fits.

This terrifying method has done me fine on lots of stuff, from itty-bitty parkies to 500W+ - have even used it to centre props, never mind spinners.

It's not so much the cost of a spinner / prop / whatever - it's the PITA of digging up who sells whatever, online ordering, sitting and waiting, paying for shipping. Yes, I would cheerfully go to a well stocked and friendly hobby shop...

Regards

Dereck
Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 PM
eflight-ray

Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Thats another thing , how do I balance props correctly...is there a site/thread you can point to ?
You do need a proper prop balancer, either one of the commercial ones or make one yourself, the best is probably the type suspended between two magnets, it gives minimum friction.

To balance, I generally put self adhesive tape on the back face of the tip of the lighter blade, or use something like a clear varnish.

Only if a prop is way out of balance, (very rare), do I cut any off the tip of the heavy side.

If you do a search on 'prop balance' you should find plenty of info.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:15 AM

If I hold the plane down and rev it up , will I notice if the prop is out of balance?