Motor Mount - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Motor Mount

Old 08-25-2005, 02:56 AM
altgeld1

Default Motor Mount

If the moter is mounted 1/8 inch of center to the right will that hurt the plane or affect the flight??
Old 08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Offset Motor

To Altgeld1, The short answer is "No, not very much" but it depends on a few other factors.
(1) By "Off center" Do you mean the motor is still pointing straight ahead but is not in the middle of the nose? If so, It won't be a big factor, you've just made the right wing 1/8" shorter than the left, total span difference 1/4" which will cause the model to bank or yaw to the left. Picture a twin engine model, viewed from the top: The left engine quits. The right engine is still pulling, which way does the plane turn? Left! This (in a much smaller way) is what your motor off-center will do.
(2) By "Right" do you mean righthand side of the model as viewed from the rear or top? The top view is also called the "Plan view" and is the standard perspective when describing side thrust alignments. If you are describing the view from the FRONT, it's opposite, plane will turn right.
(3) If the motor is ANGLED to the right (viewed from the top) 1/8", # 1 and 2 don't apply. It will cause a VERY hard right turn and you should fix it before attempting to fly the model. A little right thrust (angle, not off-center) is normal in clockwise turning props (viewed from the rear) but 1/8" is WAY to much. The normal offset is usually measured in degrees and 2-3 degrees is plenty. If you live near a flying site or hobby shop, bring the model there and have an experienced modeler look at it, you will save yourself a lot of trouble.
(4) We're assuming ALL other parts of the plane are in alignment, right? No major warps, twists, angles, etc.
Wish I could give you a more definitive answer, but without seeing the model, size, shape and thrust alignment all I can do is make a guess. Hope some of this helps! Sky Sharkster

Last edited by Sky Sharkster; 08-25-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:02 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

My Shocky is about 1/2 in.to left of centre and flies fine. Batt. is mounted on right side to balance.