General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

How to pick a club

Old 07-14-2008, 03:35 AM
kyle1745

Default How to pick a club

Recently I have been moving on from foam planes to balsa planes, and due to the increased risk of larger planes, and speed I felt the need to go legit and join AMA. I am not looking into local clubs, and my question is what things do you look for in a club, flying location?

I am currently looking at 3 clubs which break down like the following:

1. Close to home about 5 miles away, with good facilities, but field could be a little better. Membership fees seem a little steep $150 for the first year.

2. 22 miles from home very nice facilities, great flying location, membership is $60 a year.

3. 30+ miles from home, but amazing paved runway with great facilities. Fees are $150 a year.

The one close to home is seems like the best fit, but Im interested in others opinions and how you chose your club. Id love to go the paved runway but just see the hour of driving a bit more than I would have time for.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 07-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

most important part is, how do you get along with the other members? are you willing to drive 30+ miles when you feel like flying?

i fly at an amazing club with a dual 42ft x 500 ft runways thats 40 miles away but thats the closest club to me. if i had a club with mediocre conditions 5 miles away, i'd probably go there.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:54 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Kyle,

If it were me, I'd choose the club closest to home. BUT, I would also check out the one 22 miles away if it weren't 22 miles of lights and traffic. I like to fly in the evenings but if drive time was an hour on top of that, I don't think it would be worth it for me.

So with that said, I would visit the top two at least three times each and see what the folks were like at each. Making friends and having fun is worth the extra drive time. Maybe, and as a bonus, the close club will have great people in it.

Frank
Old 07-14-2008, 03:55 AM
pd1
Still Learning

I went to the a couple of club fields and met some members.
One club had warm and friendly members, the other club did not.

I joined the first club.

If you don't get along with the members and their rules, it doesn't matter how good the field is.

Just my opinion.

Paul

Boy I type slow.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:57 AM
kyle1745

I miss priced the one and option 2 is only $35 a year.

Problem I see is the $150 for the close one, when I can get amazing pavement for the much. The drive just may ruin it.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:02 AM
kyle1745

I have visted them all a few times, and they are all nice people. Option 2 seemed to be a little older crowd with maybe a bit more rules, but all in all they all seem nice. The paved club had very nice people who gave us a tour and explained just about everything you could ever want to know about the place.

So far the closest one seems to be the one I would use the most but the price just seems a bit high.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:03 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I agree it's more about the people than the field itself.

I am fortunate to have a great club with great folks and a paved runway very close to home, about a 15 minute drive in traffic.

Check them all out, spend a day or two at each, fly as a guest (most will let you a time or two before joining) attend a club meeting of each and get a feel for the people.

edit, posted at the same time... The $150 may seem steep but how many trips to option 2 would pay for the dues at option 1?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyle1745 View Post
I miss priced the one and option 2 is only $35 a year.

Problem I see is the $150 for the close one, when I can get amazing pavement for the much. The drive just may ruin it.

depending how often you fly, the price difference will be more than made up by the price of fuel to go 17 more miles each way everytime you fly.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:12 AM
kyle1745

Thats a good point... on the trips to the field.

I think the closest one seems to fit right now, thought the paved one would be very nice. I just don't have the time for the driving.

I agree the people make the difference and like I said all seem very nice. I have flown at #2 and it is very nice, all grass but great layout for the sun and wind.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:21 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I am a member at a close field. I do not like the members much, so I fly when they are not around. They mainly fly rectangle patterns with no acrobatics. There are a couple of friendly people there, but not many.

I also travel to Hodges. It is 55 miles away, but the greatest bunch of people around. Unfortunately, I can not drive 110miles round trip all the time.

This is the sad truth that distance means a lot. However if Hodges was only 20 miles from me, I would be there all the dang time.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:25 AM
HomeDaddy
post hole digger

Well, I went down the same road. I have a close club that is ok and a farther club that is amazing (all electric to boot.) I joined both of them.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

How to choose a club? Well, it depends. What are you going to hit with this club? Is it for self defense? Are you seal hunting in the Arctic?

Oops, got confused.

I'd say you're pretty lucky to have three legitimate options that close by. However, you have to weigh the options against your priorities as already noted.

For me, I'd choose the closest one. The gas money and personal aggravation that would be spent on traveling to the other fields will probably more than make up for the increased dues. If the field's in decent shape, you probably won't miss the paved runway(I know I don't), and if the people are good folks, that counts for a lot.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Lymph

Well I'd pick number 1, because:

its close
it's local
when I crash the drive of shame back home is short....
Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

yeah, nothing's worse than having a 45 minute trip to spend sulking over a crashed plane...
Old 08-03-2008, 02:09 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

If cost is an issue, you might weigh in the number of times you plan to visit said field, and factor in fuel costs.

In my area there are only two clubs, one is 35 miles away, the other 55. I used to be a member of the closer one, but I gave it up because I couldn't see spending twelve dollars in gas every time I wanted to fly there. I do miss the companionship, though.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:24 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

The one that is closer, is it $150 for the first year I am assuming some sort of paper fee or initiation fee the first year? What is it after that? IMO less than $10 a month for fly at a good field and not have to fight with soccer moms is a deal. Granted they have decent facilities.

Most of all make sure you mesh with the people!