Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Dynam esc Programming Problem

Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
TRASHBUG

Default Dynam esc Programming Problem

How do I change from nicad to lipo mode and adjust the low voltage cutoff points for different battery types?

I have a Dynam 30 amp brushless esc and a Dynam programming card.

I read the instructions that come with the esc and got a little worried because they state that the esc will cut off at 5.7v. That would be sudden death for a 3s lipo pack!

Here is what I have figured out so far.

As the esc comes from the package it is set to sense NiCad/NiMh batteries (7.+ cutoff from an 11v starting input voltage). If you have a Dynam esc and are using lipo's you REALLY need to check the cut off voltage!

Anyway...........

I used the Dynam programming card and it automatically changed the esc cutoff voltage to lipo mode with 3s pack cutoff of 9v. I know these figures are accurate because I checked them with a variable voltage, digital readout power supply

How do I change the esc back to the NiCad/NiMh sensing mode?

The instructions included with the esc and the programming card tell how to set the break, and timing. The programming card also includes break and timing plus, cutoff type and throttle curve.

Neither have any instructions regarding battery type/voltage cutoff other than a short note with the programming card that states the default cut off mode is lipo. They are right on this one. When I used the card it changed my esc from nicad to lipo all on it's own (there are no jumpers for battery functions).

I sent an email directly to Dynam asking for this information but have had no reply to date.

I'm stumped!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DYBAM 30A ESC.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	53899   Click image for larger version

Name:	DYNAM PROGRAM CARD.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	53900  
Old 01-30-2008, 08:33 AM
batman

Don't know if you have this but here is the operation manual not that there is anything about setting the battery type in it. I wonder if it is automatic dependant on the voltage when connected.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dynam ESCs.pdf (63.8 KB, 657 views)
Old 01-30-2008, 01:33 PM
TRASHBUG

Originally Posted by batman View Post
Don't know if you have this but here is the operation manual not that there is anything about setting the battery type in it. I wonder if it is automatic dependant on the voltage when connected.
The instructions you link to are the same ones that come with the controller.

What caused me to check the operation of this unit was the statement in the instructions about cutting off at 5.3v. This is the only cutoff mentioned. I now believe this voltage is the lowest it will allow a battery of any type to go below.

I'm really glad I checked! The esc, as it comes out of the package, is set for NiCad batteries so it will allow the battery to go very low before it cuts off. There is no way I can find to set the esc to lipo mode without the programming card.

With the programming card you can set the esc to lipo. In fact this will be the default (3v per cell) setting when you use the card. Unfortunately there's no way to set the esc back to NiCad mode.

If you buy a Dynam esc be carefull! Because the default setting is in NiCad mode it will let your battery go WAY TO LOW before it cuts off. A starting voltage of 11.5v will give you a cutoff voltage of 7.4 or so. This will not be healthy for a lipo

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:15 AM
TRASHBUG

My results after using the Dynam Programming Card show the following results:

I used a digital variable dc power supply. The cutoff voltages are absolutely consistent.

Starting Voltage Cutoff Voltage
6.0v 5.9v = 5 cell nicad
7.2v 5.9v = 6 cell nicad

7.4v 5.9v = 2 cell lipo

8.4v 5.9v = 7 cell nicad
9.6v 8.87v = 8 cell nicad
10.8v 8.87v = 9 cell nicad

11.1v 8.87v = 3 cell lipo

12.0v 8.87v = 10 cell nicad

It is definitely not sensing NiCad voltages after using the programming card. I can't go back and check the cutoffs before using the card but with 11 plus volts as a starting point it was cutting off at 7 plus volts. If I knew a way to change it back to sensing NiCad's I would, just to check its operation for you:-)

I have emailed Dynam directly but they have not replied.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Flubber

When I first bought the dynams information show that they could be programmed with the Jei program card. It has battery type and high/ low (3.0/2.7) cutoff. Looks like the card you show but with two more jumpers.

Looking at your starting voltages they seem low for a fully charged pack. Here is what my charger showed 7 cell 10.23v 8 cell 11.81v 2 cell lipo 8.42v,
3cell lipo 12.63v.

I read that you should not use a partially discharged pack with an auto sensing esc. Maybe you should try the test again with voltages that indicate a fully charged pack.
Terry
Old 02-03-2008, 02:28 PM
TRASHBUG

Hi Terry,

It won't make any difference. You will note that I none of the cutoff points use a nicad cutoff. They are all either aprox. 6v or 9v which are the lipo cutoff points. Early on in this experiment, just after using the Dynam prog. card I tried a variety of starting voltages. Some were 12+ and it made no difference.

The bottom line at this point is that before I used the programming card the esc would use a nicd low voltage cutoff point no matter what the starting voltage was. After I used the prog. card all cutoff voltages were based on lipo batteries so I know that the esc doesn't change automatically back and forth between nicd and lipo but has to be reprogrammed. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to reset the esc back to nicd mode.

Thanks for your input,
Jim
Old 02-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Flubber

Hey Jim
The Jeti program card has the selector for nixx/lipo. Mine was pretty cheap from Grayson hobby. My comments about your voltages were spurred by a friend from the local field that thought the nominal voltage printed on the pack was the maximum voltage and could not understand why his electric plane was so underpowered.

Terry
Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
TRASHBUG

Terry,

I have a knock off programming card on it's way here. Hey, it's a knock off Jeti esc so the card might as well be a knock off Tnis one has jumpers for battery mode and hi or low cutoff volts.

I'm going to try to set it back to Nicad mode then check the same cutoff voltages. Will post the results to this thread.

Best,
Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 02:43 PM
TRASHBUG

Here’s what the attached chart shows. The start voltage is the common start point for each voltage checked.

Cutoff V1 is the low voltage cutoff point using the stock controller right out of the package. As you can see by the chart, the esc is set for NiCad batteries.
<O:p
Cutoff V2 shows cutoff voltages after using the Dynam Programming Card. The Dynam card states that it will set the esc to lipo cutoff mode and it does.
All voltages have been rounded off to the nearest 1/10.
There are two problems that I see.
1. The instructions really don’t tell you that the esc is set for NiCad batteries as it comes out of the package. The general assumption has been that the esc can differentiate between NiCad and lipo and then pick an appropriate cutoff point but it can’t. If you don’t reprogram the esc using the programming card and use a lipo battery pack, you will damage your lipo.
2. Once you use the Dynam programming card it changes the mode to lipo and there’s no way to go back to NiCad mode.
I have still not received a response to the email I sent to Dynam about this issue. I suspect they don’t intend to answerJ.
When I get the Jeti programming card attempt to set the esc back to NiCad mode and let you know my results.
Happy Landings
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DYNAM CUTOFF VOLTS.pdf (13.9 KB, 291 views)
Old 02-07-2008, 01:13 PM
TRASHBUG

I received a Jeti Programming card and tested its operation with this Dynam ESC. It works great in all functions. Now I can reprogram the Battery Type and Hi/Low Cutoff Voltages back to NiCd if I want to.

REMEMBER, if you buy a Dynam ESC make sure it's set for the type of battery your using. My esc came from the mfg programmed for NiCd mode. If you use this mode with a lipo pack you will ruin the battery very quickly!!

My advice.............if you buy a Dynam ESC you must also buy a Jeti Programming Card. DO NOT buy the Dynam Programming Card as it's functions are limited. Yes, it's an added expense but worth it in the long run. Using the card to program is a cinch, listening to beeps is a PITA!

Happy Landings,
Jim
Old 02-09-2008, 03:35 AM
Flubber

Hey Jim
I am glad you got everything worked out.

Terry
Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Fireflynj

Thanks for the info!

I been using this Dynam 18amp with 3 cell lipo, year later I decided to change my setup and could not figure out why motor would not move using 2cell.
the I happened to have the Jeti card and that fixed it.

anyone can tell me more about this 4 pole 6 pole timing thing?
I am guessing if I don't need the extra power I can leave it on soft timing?

Thanks again!